Small dent in top tube?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by brown.be, Feb 17, 2005.

1. brown.be

brown.be New Member

Hey, I just had my bike shipped to California from Boston due to my moving. When I got my bike back from the bike shop I noticed a very small dent in the top tube, I brought it back to the stroe concerned with the safety issue, they looked at it and said it would not be an issue. So far it has been fine, but for cosmetic reasons I was wondering if I can get this fixed. The frame is Aluminum, would there be a way a bike store could fix this dent somewhat like how they do to cars?:rolleyes:

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

If it's small, and not creased or cracked it's no issue. Better not to mess with it or cover it up.

3. RC2

RC2 New Member

A small dent -- the kind you can barely feel and have to get the right lighting angle to clearly see -- isn't anything to worry about. You can think of it as something that makes your frame unique, like a birth mark!

Bending al back and forth is never a good idea, but if you're really concerned w/the cosmetic factory you might try the dry ice method. Mildly heat the TT (i.e. with a blow dryer) and carefully touch a piece of dry ice to the metal surrounding the dent. Just remember that the TT is a structural member under compression, and each time the Al is distorted it weakens. I'd leave it alone.

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Even something more significant that that isn't an issue.