Small hole in rear left dropout of trek emonda?

JGraham737

Oct 9, 2017
Hello all! Question. Cleaning my bike this weekend I Noticed this small hole in the rear left dropout (non Drive side) of my Trek Emonda SL5. It looks very neat as if it’s intended to be here, but I’m not positive and would like some clarification as to wether or not it’s intended to be present or is my frame damaged? Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• 0AE0B15D-9592-42DF-B07A-C73365CD731C.png
    0AE0B15D-9592-42DF-B07A-C73365CD731C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
I have a 2016 Emonda. I'll check my frame over this evening and get back to you.

That looks like it could be a manufacturing mold locating point, but I really doubt it...not with the axle slot right there. It's probably a defect in the form of a void. How deep is it?

I checked both rear dropouts with a bright flashlight and there are no holes or marks of any kind on mine. Both are totally smooth.

I would contact your TREK dealer and get a replacement. I am convinced it is a manufacturing defect. Good luck JGraham!

Not sure if it's a manufacturing defect or not, it looks like a perfect half cut moon put there by the manufacture for some purpose...maybe water drainage? In any event I agree with CampyBob and have it checked to make sure it's not a defect, the problem with that is if they look at and see it as being perfect they will could just blow it off as a manufacture thing and not a defect so as not to be bothered with a warranty claim hassle, so if they say that then ask them to compare it with other bikes and see if they all have it.

Hello all! Question. Cleaning my bike this weekend I Noticed this small hole in the rear left dropout (non Drive side) of my Trek Emonda SL5. It looks very neat as if it’s intended to be here, but I’m not positive and would like some clarification as to wether or not it’s intended to be present or is my frame damaged? Thanks in advance for the help!
Take it to your dealer they or Trek will take care of you for sure.

Hey

I also have an Emonda SL 2017 which I bought as a frameset, took mine off the turbo this evening to put the road tyre back on and spotted that hole! Scared the life out of me so I imagine it's for manufacturing purposes as it's the exact same place and size

Attachments

• 1516821228051192729067.jpg
    1516821228051192729067.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: CAMPYBOB
That hole should be a defect from the manufacturer's side and I would suggest you get back at them on a replacement or a conviction that there is nothing the hole is going to do to your ride. I don't take chances when I notices something of such for I would gladly give a call through to the place where I bought the ride. Hopefully, I want you to do the same and not to ride the bike till you are cleared about the situation to avoid having accidents.