Small Pump Recommendations

Kenneth Damann

Guest
Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?

Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
jersey pocket.

Kenneth Damann wrote:
> Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?
>
> Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
> jersey pocket.

Go to an LBS and not a *-mart for sure. I looked at Wal-mart and the
Chinese (what else) ones they had wouldn't even pump up a basket ball.
The would mount on the water bottle mounts but were seriously not worth
even the bother of picking them up to look at. I expect about $30 at a
good LBS would do it.
P.S. I have 2 LBS within a half mile of each other, and one used to be a
Schwinn dealer and the other has always been independent. The Schwinn
guy is now a major ripoff and the independent has good prices and will
often do minor things for free.
Nice to have some choices.
Bill Baka

Kenneth Damann wrote:
> Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?
>
> Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
> jersey pocket.

I like the SKS Airboy. The plastic one is only 90g, has a presta and
schrader head, simple bottle-boss clips, and works great. I have no
problem getting 105psi into my road tires with it (takes a while...).
The alu one is 110g and I guess can do higher pressure. I don't know if
the plastic one can do more as 105 is all I ever try for. It's the
cheapest one too.

http://www.sks-germany.com/en/stage.php?mod=detail&cid=1&id=11&zg=1&seite=5&start=12

Joseph

Kenneth Damann wrote:
> Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?
>
> Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
> jersey pocket.

I know I'm a Fred for saying this, but the Performance Hurricane pump really
works well -- and it's downright cheap when on sale.

It's long and skinny, however, so obviously not a "pocket pump".

I think the /usually/ recommended pump in here is the Topeak Road Morph, so
you might want to check that out, too.

Sorni

Kenneth Damann wrote:
> Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?
>
> Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
> jersey pocket.

I know it's not what you're asking for, but I'd recommend a full size
frame pump like the Zefal. Lot's of people use the mini's for a backup
for CO2 inflators, but a full size pump is not much heavier. I've used
lots of the mini's while MTB'ing, and they're fine for low pressure,
high volume tires, but for skinny tires you want a skinny pump, and a
long one if you don't want to be there all day.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?
>
> Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
> jersey pocket.

Well, the Topeak RoadMorph does not technically fit either of your
criteria, but it's small enough to easily fit along my top tube:

http://tinyurl.com/le7ta

and could fit along your downtube as well if desired. It's also
incredibly easy to pump with, thanks to the extendable handle and foot
peg, and the hose is nice for not tearing your valve stems.

Yes, I love this pump.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ [email protected]

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:19:20 -0700, Kenneth Damann wrote:

> Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?
>
> Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
> jersey pocket.

ToPeak RoadMorph. Best pump I've ever had, by far. Has a usable gauge,
pumps _easily_ up to 120psi.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies

Kenneth Damann wrote:
> Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?
>
> Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
> jersey pocket.

Look at the GP-21, "http://www.giyo.com.tw/prod04.htm"

It's rebranded by many distributors, including Bike Gear. I bought one
at Orchard Supply Hardware for about $12, and it's been fine for many years.

Whatever you buy, ensure that the pump has an aluminum, not a plastic,
barrel. I just had a plastic-barreled pump (a full length one)
self-destruct when the barrel split by the end where the piston goes in.

It's actually so nice to use my full-length, aluminum, Zefal HP-X4, that
I may abandon the pocket size pumps. It fits right onto the pump clip on
my tandem. I have an HP-X3 for my road bike. I guess I'm a retro-grouch,
but those pumps are a lot more practical than the mini pumps.

Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote in news:-
[email protected]:

> Kenneth Damann wrote:
>> Any recommendations pro or con on a brand of small pump?
>>
>> Looking for something that will mount to h2o bottle bosses or stick in
>> jersey pocket.
>>

> I know it's not what you're asking for, but I'd recommend a full size
> frame pump like the Zefal. Lot's of people use the mini's for a backup
> for CO2 inflators, but a full size pump is not much heavier. I've used
> lots of the mini's while MTB'ing, and they're fine for low pressure,
> high volume tires, but for skinny tires you want a skinny pump, and a
> long one if you don't want to be there all day.

I 100% agree. I use my frame pupm as a backup to inflaters