Small review of Dawes Lightning 1200

iced_theater

Aug 3, 2007
Well I got my Dawes Lightning 1200 and put it together today. It wasn't that hard to put together though a stand would of been very helpful. Getting everything just right is what took the longest. It's not quite as light as the Trek 1000 SL that I was looking at 25 lbs versus 22 lbs, but they are both slightly different. The Trek is a 56cm and the Dawes is a 54 compact which supposedly equals to a 58-60cm.

The bike is pretty fast, though the only thing I can compare it too is a late 1960's Schwinn Varsity. I'd say for the money, it's a far better buy than a LBS bike if your just getting back into biking. I'd say the only thing that could stand to be of better quality is the brake pads. While these ones are fine and will stop you, they don't have the power of the ones on the Trek 1000.

I'll have to take some pictures now that I have it ready to go, the only thing I'm not sure about is the Presta valves as I don't have a tire gauge that will fit that. I didn't have a tire pump that worked either *Schrader valve* so I had to go to the LBS and buy that, though they didn't have any tire gauges at all.

Congratulations. I think the Dawes is a fine bike, certainly nicer than the Raleigh I started on 35 years ago. And you conducted yourself through a fine first lesson in bicycle mechanics.

oldbobcat said:
Congratulations. I think the Dawes is a fine bike, certainly nicer than the Raleigh I started on 35 years ago. And you conducted yourself through a fine first lesson in bicycle mechanics.
Come on oldbobcat. You're talking 35 years of technological advancements and improved materials. Any new bike is going to be better than a bike that was made 35 years ago. I'll bet your Raleigh was a fine bike when it was brand new. I know all of mine have been.

kdelong said:
Come on oldbobcat. I'll bet your Raleigh was a fine bike when it was brand new. I know all of mine have been.
Sure. And a heckuva lot better than anybody's Schwinn Varsity. Just trying to add a word of encouragement. Old bikes and bikes that are slightly behind the technology curve still have a lot of good riding in them.

I just purchased the same bicycle. I am new to road riding but wanted to give it a shot on a budget that is very tight. I bought my wife a Dawes Shiela and I got the Lightning. I have put about 125 miles on the bike in the week and half I have owned it. So far i like it but have nothing to compare it too, seems fine to me.

This is a sale that i found on Amazon linked to BikesDirect.com website 60% right now
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt1200.htm

Main Frame Precision Handmade Dawes Altair 1 Compact aluminum with traditional round down tube, Double water bottle mounts FEATURES Rear Eyelets so you can attach your own rear rack Rear Triangle Dawes Altair 1 aluminum curved seat stay w/ rack mount, Dawes forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger Fork Dawes 1 1/8" steerer, Aero Road tapered Carbon Fiber legs Crankset Dawes Forged Aluminum Road 30/42/52T Chainring Bottom Bracket Semi Cartridge Bearing ST Pedals (FREE BONUS ROAD PEDALS (these are road toeclip and strap pedals) Front Derailleur Shimano 2200 series, 31.8mm for triple Rear Derailleur Shimano Sora Road (same as on the Trek 1.2 which sells for $800) Shifters NEW Shimano 2203 shifters integrated into brake levers, 24-speed Triple PLUS ADDITIONAL top mounted brake levers Cassette/Freewheel SunRace, 12-24T 8-speed Chain KMC Z-72 Front / Rear Hub Quick Release Formula Aluminum Alloy Road, 36h / Formula Aluminum Alloy Cassette Road, 8-speed, 36H (BrightBlue finish) Spokes 14G Stainless Steel Rims Alex R-500 Double Wall Aluminum, 36H 700c clincher Tires Kenda K-152, 700 X 25c, Presta valve tubes (racing valve) Brake Set ProMax Dual Pivot Forged Road Brake Levers NEW Shimano 2200 shifter/brake levers AND Tektro RL-570 Top Mount on flat portion of handlebar for additional braking position Headset Ritchey LB 1.125inch sealed bearing for threadless steerer Handlebar Aluminum Alloy Road Stem Dawes Adjustable 0 to 60 degree Road Aluminum, Removable Handlebar Clamp Tape/Grip Cork Wrap on Bars (black or red - NO Choice) Saddle Anatomical with Cro-Moly rails Seat Post Dawes Comp Micro Adjust Aluminum, 250mm x 27.2 Seat Clamp Ultralite alloy, 31.8mm, Lazer etched Sizes XSmall, Small, Medium, Large, XLarge Colors BrightBlue Click for BrightBlue Image Gallery, DarkSilverGray Click for DarkGray Image Gallery