small road-touring bike

cmcanulty

Guest
I am looking for a reasonably lightweight touring and road bike that
uses 26" tires and has ultra low gearing, like 34 on rear and 22 on
front need a mixte or ladies frame or size in low 40scm frame, no luck
so far on googling or ebay

On May 31, 7:25 am, cmcanulty <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am looking for a reasonably lightweight touring  and road bike that
> uses 26" tires and has ultra low gearing, like 34 on rear and 22 on
> front need a mixte or ladies frame or size in low 40scm frame, no luck
> so far on googling or ebay

Got a Waterford dealer close? Go see them. All made to order. WQe have
sold more than a few 'mixte' type frames from waterford.

http://www.waterfordbikes.com

for a dealer.

In article <[email protected]>,
richard <[email protected]> wrote:

> cmcanulty wrote:
> > I am looking for a reasonably lightweight touring and road bike that
> > uses 26" tires and has ultra low gearing, like 34 on rear and 22 on
> > front need a mixte or ladies frame or size in low 40scm frame, no luck
> > so far on googling or ebay

> Is Rivendell still around? This IS their specialty!

http://www.rivbike.com

The Atlantis uses 26" wheels on the small size frames and comes as small
as a 47. If the OP needs smaller than that, the choices get fewer. It
might be possible to work something out with a small mountain bike frame.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> richard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> cmcanulty wrote:
>>> I am looking for a reasonably lightweight touring and road bike that
>>> uses 26" tires and has ultra low gearing, like 34 on rear and 22 on
>>> front need a mixte or ladies frame or size in low 40scm frame, no luck
>>> so far on googling or ebay

>> Is Rivendell still around? This IS their specialty!

> http://www.rivbike.com
>
> The Atlantis uses 26" wheels on the small size frames and comes as small
> as a 47. If the OP needs smaller than that, the choices get fewer. It
> might be possible to work something out with a small mountain bike frame.

Surly's Long Haul Truck used 26" tires on 54 cm and smaller frames as well.
http://surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

"cmcanulty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I am looking for a reasonably lightweight touring and road bike that
> uses 26" tires and has ultra low gearing, like 34 on rear and 22 on
> front need a mixte or ladies frame or size in low 40scm frame, no luck
> so far on googling or ebay

Have you tried Terry? They might have something.

On Jun 1, 8:43 am, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > richard <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Is Rivendell still around? This IS their specialty!

> >http://www.rivbike.com

> > The Atlantis uses 26" wheels on the small size frames and comes as small
> > as a 47. If the OP needs smaller than that, the choices get fewer. It
> > might be possible to work something out with a small mountain bike frame.

> Surly's Long Haul Truck used 26" tires on 54 cm and smaller frames as well.http://surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html
>
> --
> Paul M. Hobson
> .:change the f to ph to reply:.

And the Surly Long Haul Trucker is available as small as a 42cm. Both
blue and green are in stock at QBP at the moment. Low gear is 26x34,
but can be easily switched to 24x34. Any lower would require a crank
swap with a smaller bolt circle diameter, like any mountain bike crank.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > richard <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Is Rivendell still around? This IS their specialty!

> > http://www.rivbike.com
> >
> > The Atlantis uses 26" wheels on the small size frames and comes as
> > small as a 47. If the OP needs smaller than that, the choices get
> > fewer. It might be possible to work something out with a small
> > mountain bike frame.

> Surly's Long Haul Truck used 26" tires on 54 cm and smaller frames as
> well. http://surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

The LHT is a great deal in terms of specs for price.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> The LHT is a great deal in terms of specs for price.

Heavier and more expensive than a Bianchi Volpe with comparable spec and
doesn't have the full size wheels she requested.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A Muzi wrote:
> Heavier and more expensive than a Bianchi Volpe with comparable spec and
> doesn't have the full size wheels she requested.

The OP wants 26" wheels. The Volpe, like you said, comes with 700C
rims. The Volpe's sizing jumps from 52 cm to 49 cm down to 44 cm. The
LHT goes from 52 cm, to 50 cm, to 46 cm to 42 cm.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

Paul M. Hobson wrote:
> The OP wants 26" wheels. The Volpe, like you said, comes with 700C
> rims. The Volpe's sizing jumps from 52 cm to 49 cm down to 44 cm. The
> LHT goes from 52 cm, to 50 cm, to 46 cm to 42 cm.

You're right. I conflated two concurrent threads, sorry.