Small study links biking, male infertility

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Stamkis, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Zebu

    Zebu Guest

    "stamkis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.ht
    > ml

    Don't forget to add the ml at the end of the link or else you'll get a "404 error"

    I don't know how much credibility to put into this study since it uses such a small test group.

    "55 avid mountain bikers and found nearly 90 percent had low sperm counts and scrotal abnormalities.
    Only 26 percent of the 35 non-bikers he studied had similar damage"

    Other factors could also link these bikers such as where they are from. Are they all from Austria?
    Maybe something that is done within that culture could be effecting their jewel bags. Who knows?
    What type of seats are they using? FS or HT bikes? For the study to have a bigger impact it must be
    much larger including bikers from around the globe.

    I don't have to worry since I don't come close to logging 3000 miles per year or 2 hrs/day for 6
    days/week.

    ZEBU

  2. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  4. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 22:19:42 GMT, "stamkis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.ht ml

    The abnormalities were found in professional mountain bikers and other "extreme" bikers who logged
    at least 3,000 miles yearly -- or an average of more than two hours a day, six days a week.

    Sorry but I guess I'm safe.

    Bill(don't need any more kids anyway)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
    than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation
    of the world.
    :-]

  6. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    Nevermind, it does not work here anyway... or something.

    darsh

    "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For all who post broken links as I myself have NEVER done, try it this
    way:

    <http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.h
    > tml>
    >
    > The opening and closing symbols should keep it on one line.
    >
    > darsh
    >
    > "stamkis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.ht
    > ml
    >
    > > ml

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > "stamkis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.ht
    > > ml
    > >

    > "The abnormalities were found in ... and other "extreme" bikers who logged at least 3,000
    > miles yearly"
    >
    > Must be the Mountain Dew.
    >
    > Mike - or don't log your mileage...

    ...to get more mileage from your log!

    Bill "Rimmer would've caught it if I hadn't" S.

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > 3 kids and still riding; yes the bike too!
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla

    Maybe you need to ride a little harder.....the bike, the bike!!!
    --
    Slacker

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > The abnormalities were found in professional mountain bikers and other "extreme" bikers who logged
    > at least 3,000 miles yearly -- or an average of more than two hours a day, six days a week.
    >
    > Sorry but I guess I'm safe.
    >
    > Bill(don't need any more kids anyway)Wheeler

    SS'ers get the same effect in 1/10th the mileage.

    Mike

  10. Simon

    Simon Guest

    If using OE goto tools>options>send then change the text settings for news posting so that the
    automatic wrap is longer in character length.

    If using anything else try and locate a similar function.

    Simon

    "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Nevermind, it does not work here anyway... or something.
    |
    | darsh
    |

    | "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > For all who post broken links as I myself have NEVER done, try it this
    | way:

    <http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.h
    | > tml>
    | >
    | > The opening and closing symbols should keep it on one line.
    | >
    | > darsh
    | >
    | > "stamkis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...

    http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.ht
    | > ml
    | >
    | > > ml

  11. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "stamkis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.ht
    > > > ml
    > > >

    > > "The abnormalities were found in ... and other "extreme" bikers who
    logged
    > > at least 3,000 miles yearly"
    > >
    > > Must be the Mountain Dew.
    > >
    > > Mike - or don't log your mileage...
    >
    > ...to get more mileage from your log!
    >
    > Bill "Rimmer would've caught it if I hadn't" S.

    ROFLMAO! Yes I believe he wood.

    Mike

  12. Crazydave

    Crazydave Guest

    Even though it's a small test group, the 90 percent rate is still quite high. i doubt being in
    aussie has anything to do with is as the article states that other non-bikers in that area were also
    tested and found to have less occurences of this problem. i plan on having kids eventually and would
    hate for this to happen. everyone that's posted seem to be ok. are there anyone here who has been
    affected by bike riding or notice difficulty in making those baby things?

    i'm addicted to riding. and i log much more than 3000 miles a year so i'm actually quite concerned.
    hate to be a worry wart, but i want my little soldiers to be able to march into the fort.

    "Zebu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "stamkis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/12/02/biking.fertility.ap/index.ht
    > > ml
    > >
    > Don't forget to add the ml at the end of the link or else you'll get a
    "404
    > error"
    >
    > I don't know how much credibility to put into this study since it uses
    such
    > a small test group.
    >
    > "55 avid mountain bikers and found nearly 90 percent had low sperm counts and scrotal
    > abnormalities. Only 26 percent of the 35 non-bikers he studied had similar damage"
    >
    > Other factors could also link these bikers such as where they are from.
    Are
    > they all from Austria? Maybe something that is done within that culture could be effecting their
    > jewel bags. Who knows? What type of seats are
    they
    > using? FS or HT bikes? For the study to have a bigger impact it must be
    much
    > larger including bikers from around the globe.
    >
    > I don't have to worry since I don't come close to logging 3000 miles per year or 2 hrs/day for 6
    > days/week.
    >
    > ZEBU

  13. Zebu

    Zebu Guest

    "CrazyDave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gi4H9.35154$%[email protected]...

    > are there anyone here who has been affected by bike riding or notice difficulty in making those
    > baby things?
    >
    > i'm addicted to riding. and i log much more than 3000 miles a year so i'm actually quite
    > concerned. hate to be a worry wart, but i want my little soldiers to be able to march into
    > the fort.

    If you are that concerned why not go to your doctor and have them run some tests and check
    everything out. It can't hurt and it will give you peace of mind since you are in the mileage
    bracket they based the study on.

    That study is everywhere today, in the paper, on the news, all over the websites...sheesh.

    It's as if someone said "Hey, I know what will keep them out of the woods...Tell them that thier
    twig and berries get damaged! Come on, let's go hike Mike."

    Many reporters are leaving out some key facts as well like riding over 3000 miles.

    Zebu

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:15:47 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> The abnormalities were found in professional mountain bikers and other "extreme" bikers who
    >> logged at least 3,000 miles yearly -- or an average of more than two hours a day, six days
    >> a week.
    >>
    >> Sorry but I guess I'm safe.
    >>
    >> Bill(don't need any more kids anyway)Wheeler
    >
    >SS'ers get the same effect in 1/10th the mileage.
    >
    >Mike
    Then I guess there's no need for me to get snipped

    There's good and bad in everything.

    :-]

  15. Zebu wrote:

    > "CrazyDave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gi4H9.35154$%[email protected]...
    >

    > It's as if someone said "Hey, I know what will keep them out of the woods...Tell them that thier
    > twig and berries get damaged! Come on, let's go hike Mike."
    >
    > Many reporters are leaving out some key facts as well like riding over 3000 miles.
    >
    > Zebu

    So, you're invincable?

    See you in a few years when you're all stoved up with arthritis caused by the stress you place on
    your joints.

    (And very loud music and sounds don't cause loss of hearing either.)

    Stark

  16. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "Starkrav Ingmad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Zebu wrote:
    >
    > > "CrazyDave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:gi4H9.35154$%[email protected]...
    > >

    > > It's as if someone said "Hey, I know what will keep them out of the
    > > woods...Tell them that thier twig and berries get damaged! Come on,
    let's go
    > > hike Mike."
    > >
    > > Many reporters are leaving out some key facts as well like riding over
    3000
    > > miles.
    > >
    > > Zebu
    >
    > So, you're invincable?
    >
    > See you in a few years when you're all stoved up with arthritis caused by
    the
    > stress you place on your joints.
    >
    > (And very loud music and sounds don't cause loss of hearing either.)
    >
    > Stark

    I assume you have a masters in spelling, eh? Doesn't that come with your Mac?