small wrench to remove wheel for a flat?

Jeff100au

May 13, 2004
What do you think is the smallest (lightest) tool to remove a wheel on the road? Do I have to lug around an entire wrench? Cut it in half? Any plastic (?!) lightweight solutions out there?

Jeff100au said:
What do you think is the smallest (lightest) tool to remove a wheel on the road? Do I have to lug around an entire wrench? Cut it in half? Any plastic (?!) lightweight solutions out there?
Get a quidk release wheel.Or, get the shortest handled wench you can find that is long enough to have proper leverage,drill it full of holes and hope it doesn't break.

Yeah, definitely -- no sense in using a bolt-on skewer these days. You can spend $100 a pop on sexy, ultralight titanium quick-release skewers, or you can spend $6 on just as functional chro-moly or aluminum ones. Either way saves you infinite time and sanity over an old-school setup.

boudreaux said:
Get a quidk release wheel.

I'm not too familiar with older stuff, only really getting into biking 4 years ago. Are there certain wheels that do not have a removable skewer?

hwttdz said:
I'm not too familiar with older stuff, only really getting into biking 4 years ago. Are there certain wheels that do not have a removable skewer?
Yeah, Huffys and the like.Also lots of low end older bike boom stuff.

lokstah said:
Yeah, definitely -- no sense in using a bolt-on skewer these days. You can spend $100 a pop on sexy, ultralight titanium quick-release skewers, or you can spend $6 on just as functional chro-moly or aluminum ones. Either way saves you infinite time and sanity over an old-school setup.
It's bolt on Axel nut he's referencing I think. If so, the axel,cones locknuts and spacers in a non QR axel has to be replaced to convert to QR. It often isn't dooable, and the slolution is new wheels, which may be more than the bike is worth.

boudreaux said:
It's bolt on Axel nut he's referencing I think. If so, the axel,cones locknuts and spacers in a non QR axel has to be replaced to convert to QR. It often isn't dooable, and the slolution is new wheels, which may be more than the bike is worth.
Yeah, I made an assumption, maybe incorrectly.

boudreaux said:
to convert to QR all that is needed is a hollow axel to run the skewer through. Just take the cones, spacers lockrings off the old (solid) axel, assemble them back on the new (hollow) axel and put a skewer through the new axel to tighten to frame/forks. You will need a bike shop to supply the new axle, so get them to show you how to do this job yourself. If they are any sort of shop they will only charge you for the axel as the time it takes for labour would be no more than 10 minutes.

drewjc said:
to convert to QR all that is needed is a hollow axel to run the skewer through. Just take the cones, spacers lockrings off the old (solid) axel, assemble them back on the new (hollow) axel and put a skewer through the new axel to tighten to frame/forks. You will need a bike shop to supply the new axle, so get them to show you how to do this job yourself. If they are any sort of shop they will only charge you for the axel as the time it takes for labour would be no more than 10 minutes.
Solid and QR axels are typically different diameter.It aint such a no brainer.

boudreaux said:
Solid and QR axels are typically different diameter.It aint such a no brainer.
Actually, they are. Almost all the bikes I own (a lot) use the same diameter axle, and I've just recently changed a solid axel into a QR.