small wrench to remove wheel for a flat?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff100au, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Jeff100au

Jeff100au New Member

What do you think is the smallest (lightest) tool to remove a wheel on the road? Do I have to lug around an entire wrench? Cut it in half? Any plastic (?!) lightweight solutions out there?

Tags:

2. hwttdz

hwttdz New Member

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Get a quidk release wheel.Or, get the shortest handled wench you can find that is long enough to have proper leverage,drill it full of holes and hope it doesn't break.

4. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Yeah, definitely -- no sense in using a bolt-on skewer these days. You can spend $100 a pop on sexy, ultralight titanium quick-release skewers, or you can spend $6 on just as functional chro-moly or aluminum ones. Either way saves you infinite time and sanity over an old-school setup.

5. hwttdz

hwttdz New Member

I'm not too familiar with older stuff, only really getting into biking 4 years ago. Are there certain wheels that do not have a removable skewer?

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Yeah, Huffys and the like.Also lots of low end older bike boom stuff.

7. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It's bolt on Axel nut he's referencing I think. If so, the axel,cones locknuts and spacers in a non QR axel has to be replaced to convert to QR. It often isn't dooable, and the slolution is new wheels, which may be more than the bike is worth.

8. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Yeah, I made an assumption, maybe incorrectly.

9. drewjc

drewjc New Member

to convert to QR all that is needed is a hollow axel to run the skewer through. Just take the cones, spacers lockrings off the old (solid) axel, assemble them back on the new (hollow) axel and put a skewer through the new axel to tighten to frame/forks. You will need a bike shop to supply the new axle, so get them to show you how to do this job yourself. If they are any sort of shop they will only charge you for the axel as the time it takes for labour would be no more than 10 minutes.

10. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Solid and QR axels are typically different diameter.It aint such a no brainer.

11. tosh_84

tosh_84 New Member

Actually, they are. Almost all the bikes I own (a lot) use the same diameter axle, and I've just recently changed a solid axel into a QR.