Smaller size frame better compared to bigger size frame?



Emp

New Member
Mar 14, 2008
82
0
0
30
Guys,i hope to get some feedbacks from you all.Now i am using a 50cm size road frame.I am thinking to get a new frame from a shop.But he only got the 2 kind of size(the bike which i really like)model to be choosed.1 is 52cm(i can use it but its abit suffering when doing speed chasing.And 1 more is 47cm.Now i am using my frame and i think it fits me perfectly.If i grab any 1 of it how will it be changes on my ride?Can anyone tell me please? Thx alot:D
 

lohsnest

New Member
Oct 10, 2004
261
0
0
51
You should get the size that fits you the best. If there is a frame that you like, you should get it in the size that fits you. You should have your bike store order it for you. Don't get onto a frame that you won't be happy with. 47cm might be too small for you, especially if you are currently rifding on a 50cm.

Emp said:
Guys,i hope to get some feedbacks from you all.Now i am using a 50cm size road frame.I am thinking to get a new frame from a shop.But he only got the 2 kind of size(the bike which i really like)model to be choosed.1 is 52cm(i can use it but its abit suffering when doing speed chasing.And 1 more is 47cm.Now i am using my frame and i think it fits me perfectly.If i grab any 1 of it how will it be changes on my ride?Can anyone tell me please? Thx alot:D
 

Phill P

New Member
Jul 9, 2006
513
0
0
46
Definately don't get a frame that is too big, you can never make it smaller (did I hear somebody say "der"?)

With the smaller frame:
Top tube will be shorter
Head tube will be shorter
seat tube will be steeper
head tube will be different (47 is getting into the small sizes where toe overlap can be a problem).

SOMETIMES you can compensate for the top tube and head tube length with a stem and spacer, the seat tube with offset and pushing the saddle right back. If you have a toe over lap problem (tip of your shoes touching the front wheel when you turn) then you are stuffed.

However I would predict the 50 down to 47 is too large a change and you will have weight distribution issues as well. Maybe you could do the above adjustment with a small gap in frame sizes, or to fit you to a different model bike of similar size, but I wouldn't try going from the 50 down to a 47.

Why do you need a new frame? I certianly would not pay money for a frame that does not fit, and avoid getting anything that is perfect. You will be thankfull for spending moeny on a bike that fits properly.
 

kdelong

Well-Known Member
Dec 14, 2006
3,477
134
48
Phill P said:
head tube will be different (47 is getting into the small sizes where toe overlap can be a problem).

If you have a toe over lap problem (tip of your shoes touching the front wheel when you turn) then you are stuffed.
This is really not a problem unless you are racing cycle cross or some other sport where you will be pedalling through low speed turns. The majority of turns at speed are accomplished by leaning the bike with little or no turning of the front wheel. For low speed turns, you just need to remember to coast through them with your pedals at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions.
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
254
63
Emp said:
Guys,i hope to get some feedbacks from you all.Now i am using a 50cm size road frame.I am thinking to get a new frame from a shop.But he only got the 2 kind of size(the bike which i really like)model to be choosed.1 is 52cm(i can use it but its abit suffering when doing speed chasing.And 1 more is 47cm.Now i am using my frame and i think it fits me perfectly.If i grab any 1 of it how will it be changes on my ride?Can anyone tell me please? Thx alot:D
How long is the top tube on your current bike AND how long is the top tube on the two bikes you are looking at?
 

Emp

New Member
Mar 14, 2008
82
0
0
30
alfeng said:
How long is the top tube on your current bike AND how long is the top tube on the two bikes you are looking at?



I am not sure about the top tube because the bike is highly hanged in the shop.The weird thing is that,the seller wont take it down unless you are going to buy it(I know it sounds sucks but it is true)because the price compared to other shops,it simply makes me smile.So what i can see is only the sticker which sticks on the seat tube written the size of it.But the model of the 52cm bike is FUJI TEAM 2006 and the 47cm 1 more is willier mimosa or iozard(sorry wasnt too clear about it for the willier):eek:
 

daveryanwyoming

Well-Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
3,857
190
0
Emp said:
....The weird thing is that,the seller wont take it down unless you are going to buy it(I know it sounds sucks but it is true)because the price compared to other shops,it simply makes me smile....
Go to another shop and pay for the service and sure fit that you'll get there. Never buy a bike you've never ridden regardless of the frame size specs. If a shop won't let you check out a bike much less test ride the bike then you might as well save big bucks and buy it over the internet.

Run like hell from a shop that won't even take the bike down for sizing and never buy a bike without a test ride. The price can't be good enough for a lousy fit.

Good luck,
-Dave
 

lohsnest

New Member
Oct 10, 2004
261
0
0
51
I suggest you go to another shop. I have never been to a single bike shop where you cannot even try out a frame. Have your bike fitted for you the right way.
Emp said:
I am not sure about the top tube because the bike is highly hanged in the shop.The weird thing is that,the seller wont take it down unless you are going to buy it(I know it sounds sucks but it is true)because the price compared to other shops,it simply makes me smile.So what i can see is only the sticker which sticks on the seat tube written the size of it.But the model of the 52cm bike is FUJI TEAM 2006 and the 47cm 1 more is willier mimosa or iozard(sorry wasnt too clear about it for the willier):eek:
 

kdelong

Well-Known Member
Dec 14, 2006
3,477
134
48
lohsnest said:
I suggest you go to another shop. I have never been to a single bike shop where you cannot even try out a frame. Have your bike fitted for you the right way.
+1. Dave and Lohsnest are right on the money here!
 

oldbobcat

Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,233
194
48
70
Even better, treat your old bike to a thorough cleaning, new tires, and fresh, colorful handlebar wrap. This is the best cure for indecisive BAS (Bicycle Acquisition Syndrome) that I know.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
oldbobcat said:
Even better, treat your old bike to a thorough cleaning, new tires, and fresh, colorful handlebar wrap. This is the best cure for indecisive BAS (Bicycle Acquisition Syndrome) that I know.

+1, but I'll go further. If you like your current frame, and you can't find a shop that will work with you, let you test ride stuff, and etc., you should consider doing bigger upgrades: wheels, drivetrain, brakes, bars......you get the idea. It's just like your wife getting a **** job to ease your midlife crisis, except that the new bike components will be young, feel natural, firm, tight, and better able to engage in gymnastic encounters.
 

rplace13

New Member
Oct 30, 2007
102
2
0
Lots of good advice so far. I totally agree don't buy from a shop that won't take the frame down. Don't buy a bike that you cannot test ride first.

As for the size issue, some is preference. For me given two frame sizes I will always choose the smallest frame I can correctly be fitted to. Personally, I would rather ride a 54 (for example) with a long stem and lots of seat post showing then a 55 or 56 with shorter stem/seat post. That said, if I could not get properly fitted on the 54 I would not take it even if it was free.
 

benkoostra

New Member
Mar 7, 2006
392
0
0
54
alienator said:
+1, but I'll go further. If you like your current frame, and you can't find a shop that will work with you, let you test ride stuff, and etc., you should consider doing bigger upgrades: wheels, drivetrain, brakes, bars......you get the idea. It's just like your wife getting a **** job to ease your midlife crisis, except that the new bike components will be young, feel natural, firm, tight, and better able to engage in gymnastic encounters.
Go one step further and have the old frame repainted.