smelling spring

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Loki, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Loki

    Loki Guest

    Ya, there is still a good half-meter of snow blanketing the ground, banks of frozen/melted/refrozen
    snow/slush/ice lining the roads. And we're sure to get two more good wollops of old man winter but I
    smell spring in the offing.

    I get more excited at the prospect then I did as a kid on Chriistmas Eve.

    There is somewthing life-affirming about cycling in springtime. The winter makes one [me at least]
    appreciate the rebirth all the more.

    --
    'As your looks start slipping; so should your standards.' -red green

    Tags:

  2. loki <[email protected]> wrote:
    : There is somewthing life-affirming about cycling in springtime. The winter makes one [me at least]
    : appreciate the rebirth all the more.

    god, i dunno. i really dig having it all to myself in the winter and i definitely get a little
    bummed when it starts getting warm, everyone starts biking and people stop waving as often. more
    comraderie in the winter, that's for sure.

    .. weather makes up for it, tho.

    hasn't smelled like spring here, yet, tho.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  3. Loki

    Loki Guest

    "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > loki <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : There is somewthing life-affirming about cycling in springtime. The
    winter
    > : makes one [me at least] appreciate the rebirth all the more.
    >
    > god, i dunno. i really dig having it all to myself in the winter and i definitely get a little
    > bummed when it starts getting warm, everyone starts biking and people stop waving as often. more
    > comraderie in the winter, that's for sure.
    >
    > .. weather makes up for it, tho.
    >
    > hasn't smelled like spring here, yet, tho.

    By that I meant it's edging up above freezing and there is a bit of a melt on. Still have a long
    way to go. This weekend is supposed to get up to + 6 C or so.

    The thing that annoys me most about winter cycling [other than the number salt/sand/crud does on
    the bike] is that I can never seem to dress appropriately. I end up either going numb or sweating
    profusely which then makes you cold - sometimes both on different parts of my body.

    Once spring has sprung then tshirts and shorts rule. I do work up a good sweat it's just part of
    the cooling system.

    --
    'As your looks start slipping; so should your standards.' -red green

  4. "loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:nTv%[email protected]...

    The smell is the same one that I used to smell hunting for early morels in the forest in the
    springtime as a kid. There's a time when the cottonwoods are greening up, but haven't yet leafed,
    that you need to go out into the woods looking for them. Or, at least there was: the woods where we
    used to hunt for them is now a housing development.

    You're right, that spring time smell hasn't happened yet, at least, not around here, but it's
    coming. If nothing else, it'll come on a sunny late afternoon when I'm climbing the Lake Hills
    Connector on the way home from work sometime in mid-March, probably. Maybe it's a smell of warm
    budding cottonwood trees, or maybe it's something else, that I just haven't put my finger
    (nose?) on yet.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky

    Home of the meditative cyclist:

    Email me re: the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)

  5. In article <nTv%[email protected]>,
    "loki" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ya, there is still a good half-meter of snow blanketing the ground, banks of
    > frozen/melted/refrozen snow/slush/ice lining the roads. And we're sure to get two more good
    > wollops of old man winter but I smell spring in the offing.
    >
    > I get more excited at the prospect then I did as a kid on Chriistmas Eve.
    >
    > There is somewthing life-affirming about cycling in springtime. The winter makes one [me at
    > least] appreciate the rebirth all the more.

    There's an old expression: Don't say it's spring until you can put your foot on nine daisies.

    Around here, by the time that happens it's almost june!

    I say, "don't call it spring until you see at least nine cyclists."

    Or "until you smell melting dog poop."

    We're getting some nice springlike weather for at least the next few days- temps in the 40s. Of
    course, it won't last and for sure we'll get walloped between now and the end of winter. And with
    March coming in like a lamb, that means getting walloped at the end of the month!

  6. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:03:08 GMT, <Mry%[email protected]_s54>,
    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You're right, that spring time smell hasn't happened yet, at least, not around here, but it's
    >coming. If nothing else, it'll come on a sunny late afternoon when I'm climbing the Lake Hills
    >Connector on the way home from work sometime in mid-March, probably. Maybe it's a smell of warm
    >budding cottonwood trees, or maybe it's something else, that I just haven't put my finger
    >(nose?) on yet.

    Yeah, it's universal in temperate climates. There's definitely a new noticeable air that comes with
    spring. It generally hits me as the ground is warming in mid-morning. You'd think we should be able
    to described something that singular and common. Everybody knows what smell you mean though it
    probably is actually different combinations of elements in various locations. They're then further
    interpreted differently among individuals.

    I wonder if it's as apparent in tropics.
    --
    zk

  7. In article <Mry%[email protected]_s54>, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:nTv%[email protected]...
    >
    > The smell is the same one that I used to smell hunting for early morels in the forest in the
    > springtime as a kid. There's a time when the cottonwoods are greening up, but haven't yet leafed,
    > that you need to go out into the woods looking for them. Or, at least there was: the woods where
    > we used to hunt for them is now a housing development.
    >
    > You're right, that spring time smell hasn't happened yet, at least, not around here, but it's
    > coming. If nothing else, it'll come on a sunny late afternoon when I'm climbing the Lake Hills
    > Connector on the way home from work sometime in mid-March, probably. Maybe it's a smell of warm
    > budding cottonwood trees, or maybe it's something else, that I just haven't put my finger
    > (nose?) on yet.
    >

    > --
    > Warm Regards,

    The smells of spring for me are: Wet pavement, melting dog poop, the muddy smell of exposed front
    lawns. ANd when I was young, the smell of laundry after drying on the clothesline. I haven't had an
    outdoor clothesline in years!

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote

    > The smells of spring for me are: Wet pavement, melting dog poop, the muddy smell of exposed front
    > lawns. ANd when I was young, the smell of laundry after drying on the clothesline. I haven't had
    > an outdoor clothesline in years!

    The smell of spring I really dread is that chemical refinery one that accompanies all those little
    yellow flags that pop up in the suburban sprawl I ride through. The other dominant one is the reek
    from the tons of bark mulch that gets spread every spring.

    On a brighter note, there were lots of exotic waterfowl yesterday along the Charles River, birds are
    migrating through Boston, the season is definitely turning.

  9. Loki

    Loki Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:blanshay-
    [email protected] [...]
    > We're getting some nice springlike weather for at least the next few days- temps in the 40s. Of
    > course, it won't last and for sure we'll get walloped between now and the end of winter. And with
    > March coming in like a lamb, that means getting walloped at the end of the month!

    Oh yah. I like to wait until everyone is _sure_ that the snow is done, usually at the end of March,
    and say; 'Not so fast! We've got one more storm coming. Take it to the bank.'

    For me the certainty that spring has sprung is when the city gets the sweeper and vacuum machines
    out to clear away the salt/sand residue crud. Usually we get the last snow just after that.

    :)

    --
    'As your looks start slipping; so should your standards.' -red green

  10. In article <Mry%[email protected]_s54>,
    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:nTv%[email protected]...
    >
    > The smell is the same one that I used to smell hunting for early morels in the forest in the
    > springtime as a kid. There's a time when the cottonwoods are greening up, but haven't yet leafed,
    > that you need to go out into the woods looking for them. Or, at least there was: the woods where
    > we used to hunt for them is now a housing development.
    >
    > You're right, that spring time smell hasn't happened yet, at least, not around here, but it's
    > coming. If nothing else, it'll come on a sunny late afternoon when I'm climbing the Lake Hills
    > Connector on the way home from work sometime in mid-March, probably. Maybe it's a smell of warm
    > budding cottonwood trees, or maybe it's something else, that I just haven't put my finger
    > (nose?) on yet.

    I don't know what's happening at your end of the I-5, but around here I use crocuses as a reliable
    judge of Spring. yesterday I went by one yard on my commute, and the lawn was covered with crocuses,
    their blooms not quite open yet.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio
    Mazzoleni Fan Club

  11. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:26:29 -0800, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> work sometime in mid-March, probably. Maybe it's a smell of warm budding cottonwood trees, or
    >> maybe it's something else, that I just haven't put my finger (nose?) on yet.
    >
    >I don't know what's happening at your end of the I-5, but around here I use crocuses as a reliable
    >judge of Spring. yesterday I went by one yard on my commute, and the lawn was covered with
    >crocuses, their blooms not quite open yet.
    >
    >--
    >Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio
    >Mazzoleni Fan Club

    All to give way to the blood-sweat-tears of biking during the heat of summer.

    -B

  12. Loki

    Loki Guest

    "Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... [...]
    > All to give way to the blood-sweat-tears of biking during the heat of summer.

    Or maybe blood-sweat-gears?

    --
    'As your looks start slipping; so should your standards.' -red green

  13. Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I don't know what's happening at your end of the I-5, but around here I use crocuses as a reliable
    > judge of Spring. yesterday I went by one yard on my commute, and the lawn was covered with
    > crocuses, their blooms not quite open yet.

    Hey my Camellia is starting to open. Must be 20 or 30 full blossoms of the 20K that are to come.

  14. Tanya

    Tanya Guest

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > loki <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : There is somewthing life-affirming about cycling in springtime. The winter makes one [me at
    > : least] appreciate the rebirth all the more.
    >
    > god, i dunno. i really dig having it all to myself in the winter and i definitely get a little
    > bummed when it starts getting warm, everyone starts biking and people stop waving as often. more
    > comraderie in the winter, that's for sure.

    Ya now that its getting warmer lots more people on bikes come out, and playing the leapfrog game -
    my pet peeve is when I pass a much slower cyclist, and then they proceed to pass me back at every
    light because they run through red ones, and then I have to wait for a gap to pass them back again.
    Not much leapfrog in winter.

    > .. weather makes up for it, tho.
    >
    > hasn't smelled like spring here, yet, tho.

    Maybe its just my wish to smell spring but I smelt spring the other day in the air and it was below
    freezing at the time but it felt springy somehow. On the weekend it might get up to 10C here (about
    50F) which will *really* be feeling springy and surely there will be bikes everywhere.

    Tanya http://crazybikerchick.blogspot.com

  15. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <TeJ%b.78870$RTW1.41908 @news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
    [email protected] says...
    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:blanshay-
    > [email protected] [...]
    > > We're getting some nice springlike weather for at least the next few days- temps in the 40s. Of
    > > course, it won't last and for sure we'll get walloped between now and the end of winter. And
    > > with March coming in like a lamb, that means getting walloped at the end of the month!
    >
    > Oh yah. I like to wait until everyone is _sure_ that the snow is done, usually at the end of
    > March, and say; 'Not so fast! We've got one more storm coming. Take it to the bank.'
    >
    > For me the certainty that spring has sprung is when the city gets the sweeper and vacuum machines
    > out to clear away the salt/sand residue crud. Usually we get the last snow just after that.

    We don't have to worry about that; it's usually mid-June before they get the sand swept up
    around my area.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the newsgroups if possible).

  16. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) writes:

    > We're getting some nice springlike weather for at least the next few days- temps in the 40s. Of
    > course, it won't last and for sure we'll get walloped between now and the end of winter. And with
    > March coming in like a lamb, that means getting walloped at the end of the month!

    But at least the days are getting longer, and that's a blessing by itself.

    cheers, Tom