smelly helmet

vio765

Jan 20, 2005
ive got a smelly helmet. ive tried soaping it up in the shower, and that worked for a day or two. any ideas to make it fresh?

vio765 said:
ive got a smelly helmet. ive tried soaping it up in the shower, and that worked for a day or two. any ideas to make it fresh?
Febreeze fabric freshener.

a guy at work reckons he does quite a few k's each week. He carries his helmet in the elevator and puts it in his locker, it don't smell !!
While the smell from my helmet threatens Climate Change...
funny thing is, he has long curly hair and looks kind of like a Pink Floyd guitarist so you reckon he'd have more odour than me, :confused: seeing as I have a Marine Sgt-Major hairstyle !!!!:eek: :D
I give up, and just hang my lid from my top tube, in the Company-supplied Underground Neutral Transport-device Storage facility. Other riders don't appreciate it though.

vio765 said:
Wear a light cycling cap underneath which is easy to wash

Foul smell = bacteria

I would soak in a light solution of antibacterial liquid and water...

vio765 said:
May I suggest Detol...;)

...another option would be to buy a new lid.

vio765 said:
I can relate, I used to soap up the straps and pads and scrub the heck out of them, and even removed the straps, so I could wash them separately, made a drawing for restringing, didn't really work that well considering the amount of work involved. Someone else suggested washing the helmet in a dishwasher, works great and almost no effort, I've run my Giro Boreas through about 5 or 6 washings so far with no apparent ill effects. Not sure if you would have to use air dry only (which is what I normallly use anyway), so you don't overheat it on the dry cycle, maybe try it on an old beater helmet first if you have any doubt about possible damage in your washer or just make sure you take it out right after wash cycle.

Roger