Smelly vests

Robert McDonald

Guest
Hi a'body!

As a follow on to the washing of whites...... What can I do
to improve the odour of my cycling stuff especially my Helly
Hanson vest?

Washing in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the
washing machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't want
to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it.

Big 'Smelly' Rab

[email protected] (Robert McDonald)typed

> Hi a'body!

> As a follow on to the washing of whites...... What can I
> do to improve the odour of my cycling stuff especially my
> Helly Hanson vest?

> Washing in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the
> washing machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't
> want to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it.

> Big 'Smelly' Rab

Didn't you know these garments were nicknamed 'Smelly
Hansen', for good reason?

(If you have a personal freshness problem, you'll be better
off with cotton. The whole 'wicking' hype still leaves salty
slime on your skin...)

Seriously though, a 'delicates' cycle does not leave the
garment in contact with detergent for long enough to get rid
of smells. A cool cotton or 'minimum iron' cycle at 40°C
might help. Make sure you reduce spin speed accordingly. I
would suggest you reserve this action for *occasional* use
only, to reduce the rate at which your 'Smellies' wear out.

The industry acknowledges that clean clothes smell. That's
why they have released 'Febreze' onto the maket. I've never
used the stuff but it *might* help (by replacing one smell
with another)

"Robert McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What can I do to improve the odour of my cycling stuff
> especially my Helly Hanson vest?

Bin it and buy something which doesn't smell. Honest. I have
one cycling jersey which is prone to ponginess, the others
are not. I only use that one when I have a laundry crisis.
Most of my cycling kit does a remarkably efficient job of
keeping me fresh while I ride hard.

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

Robert McDonald wrote:

>Hi a'body!
>
>As a follow on to the washing of whites...... What can I do
>to improve the odour of my cycling stuff especially my
>Helly Hanson vest?
>
>Washing in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the
>washing machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't
>want to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it.
>
>Big 'Smelly' Rab

my De-Marchi long sleeved base layer goes in with the other
whites. It hasn't damaged it and it smells nice when it
comes out. It does 30 miles/day , 5 days a week.

davep

Originally posted by Robert McDonald
Hi a'body!

As a follow on to the washing of whites...... What can I do
to improve the odour of my cycling stuff especially my Helly
Hanson vest?

Washing in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the
washing machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't want
to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it.

Big 'Smelly' Rab

I've got to agree with the comments from Helen, the fast-wicking artificial fibres used in most "performance" wear seem designed to remove moisture and leave the ming!

>What can I do to improve the odour of my cycling stuff
>especially my Helly Hanson vest?

Wash after every single time you've worn it. I wash the
family cycling kit in Ecover liquid wash at 30 degrees of 40
degrees(depends on washing instructions of item) - no fabric
conditioner and as soon as washed - they are straight on to
hangers and allowed to air-dry.

No nasty niffs from smelly-hellys in this household :)

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune h*$el*$$e**-
nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

On 22 Mar 2004 14:28:33 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> What can I do to improve the odour of my cycling stuff
>> especially my Helly Hanson vest?
>
> Wash after every single time you've worn it. I wash the
> family cycling kit in Ecover liquid wash at 30 degrees of
> 40 degrees(depends on washing instructions of item) - no
> fabric conditioner and as soon as washed - they are
> straight on to hangers and allowed to air-dry.

Ditto here. No wearing any Helly twice and no leaving to
fester in a rucksack with or without muddy fell shoes. Both
of those are bad news.

Colin
--

>I've got to agree with the comments from Helen, the fast-
>wicking artificial fibres used in most "performance" wear
>seem designed to remove moisture and leave the ming!

Calling Flash Gordon! Calling Flash Gordon! Destruction of
Ming required!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune h*$el*$$e**-
nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

[email protected]
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers)typed

> >I've got to agree with the comments from Helen, the fast-
> >wicking artificial fibres used in most "performance" wear
> >seem designed to remove moisture and leave the ming!
> >

> Calling Flash Gordon! Calling Flash Gordon! Destruction of
> Ming required!

> Cheers, helen s ;-)

Trouble is, there are two laundry fairies called Helen ;-)

On 22/3/04 2:46 pm, in article q%[email protected],
"McBain_v1" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Robert McDonald wrote:
>> Hi a'body! As a follow on to the washing of whites......
>> What can I do to improve the odour of my cycling stuff
>> especially my Helly Hanson vest? Washing in the usual 'non-
>> fast coloureds' cycle in the washing machine doesn't
>> really do the trick but I don't want to hot wash my stuff
>> in case it knackers it. Big 'Smelly' Rab

> I've got to agree with the comments from Helen, the fast-
> wicking artificial fibres used in most "performance" wear
> seem designed to remove moisture and leave the ming!

I have various base layers from ultra-thin to helly hansen
arctic (all of the nylon/polyseter sort.)

Washing is easy. 60 degrees on a normal cycle with non-bio
detergent (prefereably without any peroxide type bleaches).

They are still going strong after many years. No fabric
conditioner. The reason your clothes feel soft with
conditioner is because it is breaking the fibres.

So no smell and nice and clean . They can easily tolerate a
60 degree wash cycle (could probably tolerate much higher
but I'm not sure of the colour fastness).

Bear in mind that the body will, under normal hard exertion,
raise the temperature of the fabric over 40 degrees.

The helly hansen base layers to not wash at hot
temperatures (or with bio detergents) are the polar ones
which are a blend of wool and synthetic. Never seen those
in the UK though.

..d

David Martin <[email protected]>typed

> On 22/3/04 2:46 pm, in article
> q%[email protected], "McBain_v1"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Robert McDonald wrote:
> >> Hi a'body! As a follow on to the washing of
> >> whites...... What can I do to improve the odour of my
> >> cycling stuff especially my Helly Hanson vest? Washing
> >> in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the washing
> >> machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't want
> >> to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it. Big
> >> 'Smelly' Rab

> > I've got to agree with the comments from Helen, the
> > fast-wicking artificial fibres used in most
> > "performance" wear seem designed to remove moisture
> > and leave the ming!

> I have various base layers from ultra-thin to helly hansen
> arctic (all of the nylon/polyseter sort.)

> Washing is easy. 60 degrees on a normal cycle with non-bio
> detergent (prefereably without any peroxide type
> bleaches).

> They are still going strong after many years. No fabric
> conditioner. The reason your clothes feel soft with
> conditioner is because it is breaking the fibres.

> So no smell and nice and clean . They can easily tolerate
> a 60 degree wash cycle (could probably tolerate much
> higher but I'm not sure of the colour fastness).

> Bear in mind that the body will, under normal hard
> exertion, raise the temperature of the fabric over 40
> degrees.

> The helly hansen base layers to not wash at hot
> temperatures (or with bio detergents) are the polar ones
> which are a blend of wool and synthetic. Never seen those
> in the UK though.

> ..d

I don't think polypropylene will tolerate as much as 60°C.

I think some Smelly Hansen (no, *not* you, David!) garments
are made of this.

It melts if dried in front of the fire (I wear PP gloves)

> I don't think polypropylene will tolerate as much as 60°C.

yes it will.

> I think some Smelly Hansen (no, *not* you, David!)
> garments are made of this.

> It melts if dried in front of the fire (I wear PP gloves)

You'll find the heat is much greater in front of the fire.

It is easy enough to test this. Take an old polypro thing
(might go and grab some polypro rope off the boat). Put in
boiling water.

It will definitely go soft but should not melt at that
temperature. You can wash it at 'normal' temperatures
but should not tumble dry it (though they have survived
that too..)

Looking at the label for my 'arctic' smelly.. (this is the
one that looks a bit stripey and has a long cut back. It is
a different shade on the inside to the outside. it is 60%
polypro, 32% wool and 8% nylon.

It tolerates 60 degrees and has been tumble dried a few
times. And it smells clean.

My 'normal' top is a ron hill polypro that undergoes
similar abuse.

The thin top is a madshus (norwegian ski company) one that
is much thinner and made of nylon. That is almost
indestructible.

..d

Robert McDonald wrote:
> Hi a'body!
>
> As a follow on to the washing of whites...... What can I
> do to improve the odour of my cycling stuff especially my
> Helly Hanson vest?
>
> Washing in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the
> washing machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't
> want to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it.
>
> Big 'Smelly' Rab

Mrs MSeries says Aerial Non-Bio at 30 degrees for clean
odour free Hansens.

McBain_v1 <[email protected]> writes:

>Robert McDonald wrote:

> > Hi a'body! As a follow on to the washing of
> > whites...... What can I do to improve the odour of my
> > cycling stuff especially my Helly Hanson vest? Washing
> > in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the washing
> > machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't want
> > to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it. Big
> > 'Smelly' Rab

>I've got to agree with the comments from Helen, the fast-
>wicking artificial fibres used in most "performance" wear
>seem designed to remove moisture and leave the ming!

This could be a competitive advantage. I'm reminded of that
Victorian (?) marathon runner who used to sleep in farmyard
manure the night before a race. He claimed it had magic
invigorating properties, but sceptics noticed a tendency for
those he overtook to start falling back :)

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

"davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Robert McDonald wrote: my De-Marchi long sleeved base
> layer goes in with the other whites. It hasn't damaged it
> and it smells nice when it comes out. It does 30 miles/day
> , 5 days a week.

The StormFront (TM)? I found that the windproof bit has
discoloured, but thinking about it... I do tend to wash all
my cycling gear at the same time, usually at 30. That's
probably what's at fault!

Jon

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It melts if dried in front of the fire (I wear PP gloves)

My Decathlon long finger gloves did exactly that. Dried
rapidly over a heater 'cos I needed them immediately and
they became crisp and slightly smaller.

Jon

MSeries wrote:
> Robert McDonald wrote:
>> Hi a'body!
>>
>> As a follow on to the washing of whites...... What can I
>> do to improve the odour of my cycling stuff especially my
>> Helly Hanson vest?
>>
>> Washing in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the
>> washing machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't
>> want to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it.
>>
>> Big 'Smelly' Rab
>
> Mrs MSeries says Aerial Non-Bio at 30 degrees for clean
> odour free Hansens.

Ty an Icebreaker shirt.Made of wool but not the itchy
sratchy sort.Not supposed to need washing that much.Bought a
winter one and just ordereda summer ( lighter ) one.Can't
vouch for the washing bit as yet but it is certainly comfy.
http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Thermal_Und-
erwear_60.html

( Scroll down page )

Sam Salt

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.639 /
Virus Database: 408 - Release Date: 22/03/2004

Jon Senior wrote:
> "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> Robert McDonald wrote: my De-Marchi long sleeved base
>> layer goes in with the other whites. It hasn't damaged it
>> and it smells nice when it comes out. It does 30
>> miles/day , 5 days a week.
>
> The StormFront (TM)? I found that the windproof bit has
> discoloured, but thinking about it... I do tend to wash
> all my cycling gear at the same time, usually at 30.
> That's probably what's at fault!

Me too

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Robert McDonald wrote:
> > Hi a'body!
> >
> > As a follow on to the washing of whites...... What can I
> > do to improve the odour of my cycling stuff especially
> > my Helly Hanson vest?
> >
> > Washing in the usual 'non-fast coloureds' cycle in the
> > washing machine doesn't really do the trick but I don't
> > want to hot wash my stuff in case it knackers it.
> >
> > Big 'Smelly' Rab
>
> Mrs MSeries says Aerial Non-Bio at 30 degrees for clean
> odour free
Hansens.

Why does anyone bother with non-bio? Bio works better, and
the scares about it were testicular.

> Why does anyone bother with non-bio? Bio works better, and
> the scares about it were testicular.

Some people are sensitive to it