SMH Cycling Article

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by maurice, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. maurice

    maurice New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2003
    anyone noticed the article contained in the comment section of today's SMH (page 17) that is highly critical of cyclists using sydney roads. According to the article cyclists on sydney roads are reaching plague proportions, represent a road hazard, contribute nothing to road funding (like cyclists also don't own cars), hog the road, ignore the law, etc, etc. what a crock and yet another expample of the aggressive attitude sydney cyclists have to put up with in this motor city. link attached:
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/15/1050172595996.html :mad:

    Tags:

  2. tasdigi

    tasdigi New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003

    I would suggest that the Sydney & suburbs cyclists band together and politely email the SMH,to inform them that their article is false and misleading.

    Here is their 'contact' link.

    www.smh.com.au/contacts/index.html

  3. Neil Dall

    Neil Dall Guest

    Yeah. I read it. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I think that it was intended to be ironic.

  4. Mpd

    Mpd Guest

    "Neil Dall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yeah. I read it. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I think that it was intended to be ironic.

    ironic or moronic?

    my mid is made up.

    I love how the middle aged cyclist is termed a hazard - claims of no tests, licences or rego
    fees, yet it was the old fellar in the Falcon that failed to look and opens the door infront of
    the cyclist

  5. On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:33:55 GMT, "MPD" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Neil Dall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Yeah. I read it. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I think that it was intended to be ironic.
    >
    >ironic or moronic?
    >
    >my mid is made up.

    Now all you need to do is work on your uppers and lowers. :)

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  6. Chester1

    Chester1 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2003
    I'm middle aged, don't drive, and ride along Birrell Street regularly.
    I feel for the poor bloke on the bike. Very close..

    Driver's should read from the article the reasoning behind riding well out into the lane..to avoid opening doors and to be more easily seen. And there are a lot of dedicated commuters who ride regardless of the weather.

    A bit of a lightweight, worthless article really.

    Regards.

  7. Lesley Leadlegs

    Lesley Leadlegs New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    One of the letters referred to a $59 insurance fee. Is this some insurance you can get from Cycling Australia or is it part of the race licence????

    Yours in low revolutions

    LLL

  8. Ghostwombat

    Ghostwombat Guest

    For more info on this insurance, have a look at:
    http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=160

    It's insurance for everyone, not just for roadies.

    GW