SMH Cycling Article

maurice

New Member
Apr 15, 2003
anyone noticed the article contained in the comment section of today's SMH (page 17) that is highly critical of cyclists using sydney roads. According to the article cyclists on sydney roads are reaching plague proportions, represent a road hazard, contribute nothing to road funding (like cyclists also don't own cars), hog the road, ignore the law, etc, etc. what a crock and yet another expample of the aggressive attitude sydney cyclists have to put up with in this motor city. link attached:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/15/1050172595996.html :mad:

Posted by maurice
anyone noticed the article contained in the comment section of today's SMH (page 17) that is highly critical of cyclists using Sydney roads. According to the article cyclists on Sydney roads are reaching plague proportions, represent a road hazard, contribute nothing to road funding (like cyclists also don't own cars), hog the road, ignore the law, etc, etc. what a crock and yet another expample of the aggressive attitude sydney cyclists have to put up with in this motor city.

I would suggest that the Sydney & suburbs cyclists band together and politely email the SMH,to inform them that their article is false and misleading.

Here is their 'contact' link.

www.smh.com.au/contacts/index.html

Yeah. I read it. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I think that it was intended to be ironic.

"Neil Dall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yeah. I read it. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I think that it was intended to be ironic.

ironic or moronic?

my mid is made up.

I love how the middle aged cyclist is termed a hazard - claims of no tests, licences or rego
fees, yet it was the old fellar in the Falcon that failed to look and opens the door infront of
the cyclist

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:33:55 GMT, "MPD" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Neil Dall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Yeah. I read it. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I think that it was intended to be ironic.
>
>ironic or moronic?
>
>my mid is made up.

Now all you need to do is work on your uppers and lowers. :)

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

I'm middle aged, don't drive, and ride along Birrell Street regularly.
I feel for the poor bloke on the bike. Very close..

Driver's should read from the article the reasoning behind riding well out into the lane..to avoid opening doors and to be more easily seen. And there are a lot of dedicated commuters who ride regardless of the weather.

A bit of a lightweight, worthless article really.

Regards.

One of the letters referred to a $59 insurance fee. Is this some insurance you can get from Cycling Australia or is it part of the race licence????

Yours in low revolutions

LLL

For more info on this insurance, have a look at:
http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=160

It's insurance for everyone, not just for roadies.

GW