SMIDSY

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by ScumOfTheRoad, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:30:09 +0100, ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]>
    wrote (more or less):

    >The Ignobels are out (yes, I read Slashdot)
    >http://www.improb.com/ig/ig-pastwinners.html#ig2004
    >
    >Have a look at the Psychology prize.
    >
    >Also CocaCola UK wins the chemistry prize.

    The site of the Biology prize-winning research ("Herrings communicate
    by farting") seems to have been slash-dotted.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  3. Gawnsoft <[email protected]rceforge.remove.this.antispam.net> wrote:

    | On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:30:09 +0100, ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]>
    | wrote (more or less):
    |
    | >The Ignobels are out (yes, I read Slashdot)
    | >http://www.improb.com/ig/ig-pastwinners.html#ig2004
    | >
    | >Have a look at the Psychology prize.
    | >
    | >Also CocaCola UK wins the chemistry prize.
    |
    | The site of the Biology prize-winning research ("Herrings communicate
    | by farting")

    <parp> Oh no we don't! </parp>

    | seems to have been slash-dotted.

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK
    http://www.anweald.co.uk

  4. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Interesting article, however, as with all such research we need to be
    very careful when extending its conclusions to 'real world' situations
    away from the experimental set up. For example, terms such as 'the
    likelihood of noticing an unexpected object depends on... how
    difficult the priming monitoring task is' begs the question of whether
    we are measuring a real cognitive effect or one that simply reflects
    the 'demand characteristics' of the experimental set up. Also the
    background material suggests little more than if you don't bother
    specifically looking for a given object, you might not perceive it.
    For example, 'several researchers have demonstrated that conscious
    perception seems to require attention.' The central point is that
    cyclists are a perfectly normal feature of the road environment and
    drivers SHOULD be making a conscious effort to look out for them. I.e.
    they should be driving with due care and attention!

    Also, as any cyclist knows, in reality drivers do 'see' cyclists
    perfectly well almost all of the time. The main problems as that far
    too many drivers on 'seeing' a cyclist then think 'Fu*ck it, it's only
    a cyclist, I am pulling out anyway...'

    What would be interesting wouile be some research explaining why
    drivers in countries such as Holland, Denmark and Belgium where 'high
    visability' clothing is almost unknown, and even the police cycle
    around in dark blue uniform shirts, seem to have no difficulty at all
    in 'seeing' cyclists?

    By the way lets stop using this stupid P*** S**** term 'SMIDSY'. I
    would recommend using FTTPO's instead, as in 'Failure to take proper
    observations'. (Also note how contrived the situations supposedly
    demonstrating the danger of 'killer windscreen pillars' on P***
    S****'s 'SMIDSY" pages are. Almost all FTTPO's occur at T junctions
    and in my car when I look out of my side window at such a junction I
    can't even see my windscreen pillar without leaning back a little...)

  5. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 2 Oct 2004 01:31:57 -0700 someone who may be
    [email protected] (Howard) wrote this:-

    >By the way lets stop using this stupid P*** S**** term 'SMIDSY'.

    It is not his term.

    It is an ironic term, which comes from those involved in the danger
    reduction approach.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  6. DavidR

    DavidR Guest

    "Howard" <[email protected]> wrote

    > observations'. (Also note how contrived the situations supposedly
    > demonstrating the danger of 'killer windscreen pillars' on P***
    > S****'s 'SMIDSY" pages are. Almost all FTTPO's occur at T junctions
    > and in my car when I look out of my side window at such a junction I
    > can't even see my windscreen pillar without leaning back a little...)

    I obviously don't know what car you have and my car doesn't seem to have a
    problem. I have driven a Peugeot 206 which does and I have to make a
    conscious effort to look past the pillar.

    What happens here is that the pillar is curved and starts its curve from
    quite a way back and extends a long way forward. I presume a spherical
    shape is stiffer than a box. But try and dip the head and it stubborly
    remains in the way.