Smimano - Sram compatibility

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
I just bought a new XT HG cassette and a new SRAM PC58 cheapo chain for my trainer bike which is connected permanently to a mag trainer.

The chain slips round the cassette as if it were worn. Every time i put pressure on the pedals it clanks and slips. I have never used SRAM stuff before, are they all this shite? It said in the box that it is Shimano compatible.

There is an XT hub, XT derallieur and LX chainset driving the lot.

whats the problem here?

perhaps i should just buy a shimano HG chain and put it down to experience.

(this should be in the tech corner, i just noticed)

MountainPro said:
I just bought a new XT HG cassette and a new SRAM PC58 cheapo chain for my trainer bike which is connected permanently to a mag trainer.

The chain slips round the cassette as if it were worn. Every time i put pressure on the pedals it clanks and slips. I have never used SRAM stuff before, are they all this shite? It said in the box that it is Shimano compatible.

There is an XT hub, XT derallieur and LX chainset driving the lot.

whats the problem here?

perhaps i should just buy a shimano HG chain and put it down to experience.

(this should be in the tech corner, i just noticed)

Is your cassette 8 speed or 9 speed? You have to be sure the chain is for your specific cassette. Only 9 speed chains work on 9 speed cassettes, etc.

ace sierra said:
Is your cassette 8 speed or 9 speed? You have to be sure the chain is for your specific cassette. Only 9 speed chains work on 9 speed cassettes, etc.
8 speed cog and 8 speed chain. How can they say that it is Shimano compatible when some Shimano kit isnt even compatible with other Shimano kit....HG and IG for example.