Smog and Pollution

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi there,

    So being a new commuter has made me realise just how polluted the roads actually are.

    I go down the cycle path of a main A road and at times you can almost taste the Sh*t you are
    breathing in.

    My question is this, do any of you vets out there use anything to protect your lungs? Its something
    that is niggling me!

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > So being a new commuter has made me realise just how polluted the roads actually are.
    >
    > I go down the cycle path of a main A road and at times you can almost
    taste
    > the Sh*t you are breathing in.
    >
    > My question is this, do any of you vets out there use anything to protect your lungs? Its
    > something that is niggling me!

    I've got a pollution mask for cycling around London. Never use it though. Had a skip lorry
    drive past earlier .. dust following it for miles ... that tasted horrible ... God knows what
    was in it ....

  3. Lee wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > So being a new commuter has made me realise just how polluted the roads actually are.
    >
    > I go down the cycle path of a main A road and at times you can almost taste the Sh*t you are
    > breathing in.
    >
    > My question is this, do any of you vets out there use anything to protect your lungs? Its
    > something that is niggling me!
    >
    > Lee

    No, the masks are more trouble than they are worth and you wouldnt wear one if you were in a car,
    which is actually worse than riding from a breathing in pollution perspective. Besides, you can't
    smoke a fag while you're wearing one!

  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Daniel Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > No, the masks are more trouble than they are worth and you wouldnt wear one if you were in a car,
    > which is actually worse than riding from a breathing in pollution perspective. Besides, you can't
    > smoke a fag while you're wearing one!

    Dont smoke so thats not a problem but i do think ill look like a tit in a smog mask.

    Guess ill get used to the lead poisoning!

  5. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Daniel Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > No, the masks are more trouble than they are worth and you wouldnt wear one if you were in a
    > > car, which is actually worse than riding from a breathing in pollution perspective. Besides, you
    > > can't smoke a fag while you're wearing one!
    > >

    > Dont smoke so thats not a problem but i do think ill look like a tit in a smog mask.
    >
    > Guess ill get used to the lead poisoning!

    It's good for getting herded up by police on May 1st in London, and then beaten with a stick. :)

  6. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> said:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > So being a new commuter has made me realise just how polluted the roads actually are.
    >
    > I go down the cycle path of a main A road and at times you can almost taste the Sh*t you are
    > breathing in.

    Too true! I was out yesterday and a horsebox passed me at the precise moment that the animal inside
    decided to relieve itself. The trickle of pee out of the back was immediately caught by the
    vehicle's slipstream and turned into a fine spray which spattered all over me.

    Just thought I'd share this lovely tale.

    Regards,

    -david

  7. Lee

    Lee Guest

  8. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> said:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > So being a new commuter has made me realise just how polluted the roads actually are.
    > >
    > > I go down the cycle path of a main A road and at times you can almost
    taste
    > > the Sh*t you are breathing in.
    >
    > Too true! I was out yesterday and a horsebox passed me at the precise
    moment
    > that the animal inside decided to relieve itself. The trickle of pee out
    of
    > the back was immediately caught by the vehicle's slipstream and turned
    into
    > a fine spray which spattered all over me.
    >
    > Just thought I'd share this lovely tale.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -david

    OMG! how disgusting - i will cycle home in 10 minutes blissfully breathing in the lead knowing full
    well im not drinking horse pee!

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > OMG! how disgusting - i will cycle home in 10 minutes blissfully breathing in the lead knowing
    > full well im not drinking horse pee!

    Fortunately there is now no leaded petrol so this problem is significantly less than before.

    Probably the worst are diesel particulates -- so don't slipstream the local buses :(

  10. On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:09:08 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've got a pollution mask for cycling around London. Never use it though. Had a skip lorry
    >drive past earlier .. dust following it for miles ... that tasted horrible ... God knows what
    >was in it ....

    Masks are awful They divert exhaled breath upwards onto our glasses. And then they steam up soyou
    can't see where you are going.

    Love and condensation from Rich x

    --
    If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit. To mail me,
    change the obvious bit to richard

  11. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Lee <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> said:
    > > > Hi there,
    > > >
    > > > So being a new commuter has made me realise just how polluted the
    roads
    > > > actually are.
    > > >
    > > > I go down the cycle path of a main A road and at times you can almost
    > taste
    > > > the Sh*t you are breathing in.
    > >
    > > Too true! I was out yesterday and a horsebox passed me at the precise
    > moment
    > > that the animal inside decided to relieve itself. The trickle of pee out
    > of
    > > the back was immediately caught by the vehicle's slipstream and turned
    > into
    > > a fine spray which spattered all over me.
    > >
    > > Just thought I'd share this lovely tale.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > -david
    > >

    > OMG! how disgusting - i will cycle home in 10 minutes blissfully breathing in the lead knowing
    > full well im not drinking horse pee!

    Just think about riding along a pleasing country lane... Just before evening milking... cow shit
    everywhere... Cyclist arrives...

    On second thoughts, don't :)

    Pete White

  12. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Pete White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Just think about riding along a pleasing country lane... Just before evening milking... cow shit
    > everywhere... Cyclist arrives...

    Useful hints and tips : don't slipstream tractors just after they've been driving in a field full of
    crap! (actually this was during FMD, and he pretty obviously hadn't cleaned his tyres, naughty
    farmer...)

    cheers, clive

  13. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:14:22 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >"Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> OMG! how disgusting - i will cycle home in 10 minutes blissfully breathing in the lead knowing
    >> full well im not drinking horse pee!
    >

    >Fortunately there is now no leaded petrol so this problem is significantly less than before.
    >
    >Probably the worst are diesel particulates -- so don't slipstream the local buses :(

    When I worked in central London (near Bank station, one of the things I found most disgusting was
    the fact that if I blew my nose on a white tissue after a few hours in town, the residue was a
    grey-black.

    If I'd been cycling through town, I'd definitely have worn a smog-mask.

    If you do wear one, make sure you change the filter frequently - otherwise you'll breathe through a
    lump of material filled with concentrated essence of air-pollution gunk - which is much worse than
    just breathing in the air...

    Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122

  14. Gawnsoft wrote:

    > When I worked in central London (near Bank station, one of the things I found most disgusting was
    > the fact that if I blew my nose on a white tissue after a few hours in town, the residue was a
    > grey-black.

    In my first two weeks in London, I found this too. Since I got out the tube and onto the bike, the
    sympton has disappeared.

    Richard.

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Gawnsoft
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > When I worked in central London (near Bank station, one of the things I found most disgusting was
    > the fact that if I blew my nose on a white tissue after a few hours in town, the residue was a
    > grey-black.

    In Glasgow in the 19th century post mortem cause of death was sometimes put as pink lung. Pink lungs
    were seen as an abnormality as almost all the lungs of the population were black.

    > If I'd been cycling through town, I'd definitely have worn a smog-mask.
    >
    > If you do wear one, make sure you change the filter frequently - otherwise you'll breathe through
    > a lump of material filled with concentrated essence of air-pollution gunk - which is much worse
    > than just breathing in the air...

    AFAIR that would be a daily change - if you can afford it!

    Tony

    "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not
    dying." Woody Allen

  16. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    > "Pete White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Just think about riding along a pleasing country lane... Just before evening milking... cow shit
    > > everywhere... Cyclist arrives...
    >
    > Useful hints and tips : don't slipstream tractors just after they've been driving in a field full
    > of crap! (actually this was during FMD, and he pretty obviously hadn't cleaned his tyres, naughty
    > farmer...)
    >
    > cheers, clive

    None of that roun 'ere, all the shit be on der road...

    Pete White