Smokeless Tobacco/Risk Reduction

Daniel L. Lurke

Guest
There has been some evidence that patients who switch from
cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
substantially decrease their risk of mortality. Has anyone
had exposure to patients who have embraced this strategy? I
am curious about patient experiences, as well as general
reactions to the concept.

"Daniel L. Lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There has been some evidence that patients who switch from
> cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
> substantially decrease their risk of mortality. Has anyone
> had exposure to patients who have embraced this strategy?
> I am curious about patient experiences, as well as general
> reactions to the concept.

Actually it is very nasty stuff. It causes cancer right
there in the mouth:
http://dccps.nci.nih.gov/tcrb/less_effects.html

and http://dccps.nci.nih.gov/tcrb/less_kids.html

[email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:

>There has been some evidence that patients who switch from
>cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
>substantially decrease their risk of mortality.

They trade the lung contamination for the EXTREMELY STRONG
risk of oral cancer which can require massive deforming
surgery to remove. It also causes dental problems, and IT
IS A DISGUSTING HABIT with all the spitting and drooling
that goes on.

And, they still have the nicotine load affecting their
cardiovascular system ... no help there.

>Has anyone had exposure to patients who have embraced this
>strategy? I am curious about patient experiences, as well
>as general reactions to the concept.

There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a
lot like politicians invoking morality and children - grab

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

> [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
>
> >There has been some evidence that patients who switch
> >from cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
> >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.
>
> They trade the lung contamination for the EXTREMELY STRONG
> risk of oral cancer which can require massive deforming
> surgery to remove. It also causes dental problems, and IT
> IS A DISGUSTING HABIT with all the spitting and drooling
> that goes on.
>
> And, they still have the nicotine load affecting their
> cardiovascular system ... no help there.
>
> >Has anyone had exposure to patients who have embraced
> >this strategy? I am curious about patient experiences, as
> >well as general reactions to the concept.
>
> There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.
>
> Tsu Dho Nimh

Are you saying that nicotine gum is unsafe?

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:
> >
> > [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
> >
> > >There has been some evidence that patients who switch
> > >from cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
> > >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.
> >
> > They trade the lung contamination for the EXTREMELY
> > STRONG risk of oral cancer which can require massive
> > deforming surgery to remove. It also causes dental
> > problems, and IT IS A DISGUSTING HABIT with all the
> > spitting and drooling that goes on.
> >
> > And, they still have the nicotine load affecting their
> > cardiovascular system ... no help there.
> >
> > >Has anyone had exposure to patients who have embraced
> > >this strategy? I am curious about patient experiences,
> > >as well as general reactions to the concept.
> >
> > There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.
> >
> > Tsu Dho Nimh
> >

> Are you saying that nicotine gum is unsafe?

Yes, particularly when used in combination with cigarette
smoking...more common than you may think.

--Rich

Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:
>> [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
>> >There has been some evidence that patients who switch
>> >from cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
>> >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.

>> There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.

>Are you saying that nicotine gum is unsafe?

It is a short-term medicine to wean smokers off their habits
... long-term use of it (it is a stimulant and
vasoconstrictor) would produce many of the same
cardiovascular problems that smoking does.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--

Tsu Dho Nimh <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
>
> >There has been some evidence that patients who switch
> >from cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
> >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.
>
> They trade the lung contamination for the EXTREMELY STRONG
> risk of oral cancer which can require massive deforming
> surgery to remove. It also causes dental problems, and IT
> IS A DISGUSTING HABIT with all the spitting and drooling
> that goes on.
>
> And, they still have the nicotine load affecting their
> cardiovascular system ... no help there.
>
> >Has anyone had exposure to patients who have embraced
> >this strategy? I am curious about patient experiences, as
> >well as general reactions to the concept.
>
> There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.
>

> Tsu Dho Nimh

Tsu, You say that there is not safe way to consume tobacco.
I would imagine that tobacco use especially oral use has a
long history and perhaps part of that history contains safe
cultural use. I am not talking about daily habitual use but
still recreational or medicinal.

Amy Lyn RN

"Amy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tsu Dho Nimh <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:

...> > There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.

> > Tsu Dho Nimh
>
> Tsu, You say that there is not safe way to consume
> tobacco. I would imagine that tobacco use especially oral
> use has a long history and perhaps part of that history
> contains safe cultural use. I am not talking about daily
> habitual use but still recreational or medicinal.
>
> Amy Lyn RN

A long cultural history back in the days when the average
life expectancy was much lower. Like less than the age a
cousin had d half of his jaw removed due to cancer... he was
42 years old.

By the way: by soaking tobacco leaves in water you get a
kind of a "tobacco tea" --- then it is put into a sprayer a
spritzed on plants. It is a natural insecticide.