Smokeless Tobacco/Risk Reduction

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Daniel L. Lurke, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. There has been some evidence that patients who switch from
    cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
    substantially decrease their risk of mortality. Has anyone
    had exposure to patients who have embraced this strategy? I
    am curious about patient experiences, as well as general
    reactions to the concept.
     
    Tags:


  2. Hcn

    Hcn Guest

    "Daniel L. Lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There has been some evidence that patients who switch from
    > cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
    > substantially decrease their risk of mortality. Has anyone
    > had exposure to patients who have embraced this strategy?
    > I am curious about patient experiences, as well as general
    > reactions to the concept.

    Actually it is very nasty stuff. It causes cancer right
    there in the mouth:
    http://dccps.nci.nih.gov/tcrb/less_effects.html

    and http://dccps.nci.nih.gov/tcrb/less_kids.html
     
  3. Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu Dho Nimh Guest

    [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:

    >There has been some evidence that patients who switch from
    >cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
    >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.

    They trade the lung contamination for the EXTREMELY STRONG
    risk of oral cancer which can require massive deforming
    surgery to remove. It also causes dental problems, and IT
    IS A DISGUSTING HABIT with all the spitting and drooling
    that goes on.

    And, they still have the nicotine load affecting their
    cardiovascular system ... no help there.

    >Has anyone had exposure to patients who have embraced this
    >strategy? I am curious about patient experiences, as well
    >as general reactions to the concept.

    There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.

    Tsu Dho Nimh

    --
    When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a
    lot like politicians invoking morality and children - grab
    your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.
     
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:
    >
    > [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
    >
    > >There has been some evidence that patients who switch
    > >from cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
    > >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.
    >
    > They trade the lung contamination for the EXTREMELY STRONG
    > risk of oral cancer which can require massive deforming
    > surgery to remove. It also causes dental problems, and IT
    > IS A DISGUSTING HABIT with all the spitting and drooling
    > that goes on.
    >
    > And, they still have the nicotine load affecting their
    > cardiovascular system ... no help there.
    >
    > >Has anyone had exposure to patients who have embraced
    > >this strategy? I am curious about patient experiences, as
    > >well as general reactions to the concept.
    >
    > There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.
    >
    > Tsu Dho Nimh
    >

    Are you saying that nicotine gum is unsafe?
     
  5. "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:
    > >
    > > [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
    > >
    > > >There has been some evidence that patients who switch
    > > >from cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
    > > >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.
    > >
    > > They trade the lung contamination for the EXTREMELY
    > > STRONG risk of oral cancer which can require massive
    > > deforming surgery to remove. It also causes dental
    > > problems, and IT IS A DISGUSTING HABIT with all the
    > > spitting and drooling that goes on.
    > >
    > > And, they still have the nicotine load affecting their
    > > cardiovascular system ... no help there.
    > >
    > > >Has anyone had exposure to patients who have embraced
    > > >this strategy? I am curious about patient experiences,
    > > >as well as general reactions to the concept.
    > >
    > > There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.
    > >
    > > Tsu Dho Nimh
    > >
    >
    > Are you saying that nicotine gum is unsafe?

    Yes, particularly when used in combination with cigarette
    smoking...more common than you may think.

    --Rich
     
  6. Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu Dho Nimh Guest

    Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:
    >> [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
    >> >There has been some evidence that patients who switch
    >> >from cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
    >> >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.

    >> There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.

    >Are you saying that nicotine gum is unsafe?

    It is a short-term medicine to wean smokers off their habits
    ... long-term use of it (it is a stimulant and
    vasoconstrictor) would produce many of the same
    cardiovascular problems that smoking does.

    Tsu Dho Nimh

    --
    When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a
    lot like politicians invoking morality and children - grab
    your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.
     
  7. W_b

    W_b Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:52:01 -0500, Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are you saying that nicotine gum is unsafe?

    Nicotine is a natural pesticide. Chew on that for a bit.

    --

    Take out the G'RBAGE for private replies.
    [email protected]
     
  8. Amy

    Amy Guest

    Tsu Dho Nimh <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
    >
    > >There has been some evidence that patients who switch
    > >from cigarette smoking to smokeless tobacco products
    > >substantially decrease their risk of mortality.
    >
    > They trade the lung contamination for the EXTREMELY STRONG
    > risk of oral cancer which can require massive deforming
    > surgery to remove. It also causes dental problems, and IT
    > IS A DISGUSTING HABIT with all the spitting and drooling
    > that goes on.
    >
    > And, they still have the nicotine load affecting their
    > cardiovascular system ... no help there.
    >
    > >Has anyone had exposure to patients who have embraced
    > >this strategy? I am curious about patient experiences, as
    > >well as general reactions to the concept.
    >
    > There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu, You say that there is not safe way to consume tobacco.
    I would imagine that tobacco use especially oral use has a
    long history and perhaps part of that history contains safe
    cultural use. I am not talking about daily habitual use but
    still recreational or medicinal.

    Amy Lyn RN
     
  9. Hcn

    Hcn Guest

    "Amy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tsu Dho Nimh <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Daniel L. Lurker) wrote:
    > >
    ...> > There is NO safe way to consume tobacco.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Tsu Dho Nimh
    >
    > Tsu, You say that there is not safe way to consume
    > tobacco. I would imagine that tobacco use especially oral
    > use has a long history and perhaps part of that history
    > contains safe cultural use. I am not talking about daily
    > habitual use but still recreational or medicinal.
    >
    > Amy Lyn RN

    A long cultural history back in the days when the average
    life expectancy was much lower. Like less than the age a
    cousin had d half of his jaw removed due to cancer... he was
    42 years old.

    By the way: by soaking tobacco leaves in water you get a
    kind of a "tobacco tea" --- then it is put into a sprayer a
    spritzed on plants. It is a natural insecticide.
     
Loading...