Smoker's lung.

Simon Mason

Guest
My mate has just come back from our work's medical centre
where he had his lung efficiency tested. The nurse said that
smokers do rather well at this test as they are using their
lungs more! Jeez, what on earth does she think they do with
them in between cigs, stop breathing?
--
Simon Mason

> My mate has just come back from our work's medical centre
> where he had his lung efficiency tested. The nurse said
> that smokers do rather well at this test as they are using
> their lungs more! Jeez, what on earth does she think they
> do with them in between cigs, stop breathing?
> --

Don't really get it. Does she mean all that sucking on
the ends of cigs improves lung efficiency? Maybe she
thinks it strengthens the lung muscles and facilitates
the drawing in of deep breathes (in what's left of their
lungs)? Daft or what?

Rich

"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My mate has just come back from our work's medical
> > centre where he had his lung efficiency tested. The
> > nurse said that smokers do rather well at this test as
> > they are using their lungs more! Jeez, what on earth
> > does she think they do with them in between cigs, stop
> > breathing?
> > --
>
> Don't really get it. Does she mean all that sucking on the
> ends of cigs improves lung efficiency? Maybe she thinks it
> strengthens the lung
muscles
> and facilitates the drawing in of deep breathes (in what's
> left of their lungs)? Daft or what?

I know nothing ... but maybe smoking/tar blocks the transfer
of oxygen into the blood so the lungs have to pump more air
to get the same amount of oxygen.

So if the test only measure how much air the lungs could
take in and out smokers might come out on top.

On 13 Mar 2004 06:06:33 -0800, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

>My mate has just come back from our work's medical centre
>where he had his lung efficiency tested. The nurse said
>that smokers do rather well at this test as they are using
>their lungs more! Jeez, what on earth does she think they
>do with them in between cigs, stop breathing?
> --
> Simon Mason

We had this test performed regularly at work. Of the 10 or
so people in our office it became a competition to see who
could blow the peak flow meter off the scale. Only me and
another bloke (a squash player) could do it (the max reading
was 700 somethings). I remember one year I had a bit of cold
and only scored 690 - oh the humiliation!

Needless to say, the smokers came nowhere in the rankings.

In later years the peak flow meter was replaced by a
computer thingy that displayed a graph of your efforts. It
also compared your _blow_ against the average for your age.
I have the lungs of a twenty year old - I will give him them
back when I have finished with them.

JT

Remove the singers of Spam before replying

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:26:57 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson
<[email protected]>:

>We had this test performed regularly at work. Of the 10 or
>so people in our office it became a competition to see who
>could blow the peak flow meter off the scale. Only me and
>another bloke (a squash player) could do it (the max
>reading was 700 somethings).

I can't quite do that with ours, but my asthma nurse assures
me that she only has a dozen or so patients (out of more
than 1,500) who can get close to my reading. All are
"athletes"; I thought that being classed as an athlete
because I commmute by bike was a nice touch :)

--
Guy
===

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 13 Mar 2004 06:06:33 -0800, [email protected] (Simon
>Mason) wrote:
>
>>My mate has just come back from our work's medical centre
>>where he had his lung efficiency tested. The nurse said
>>that smokers do rather well at this test as they are using
>>their lungs more! Jeez, what on earth does she think they
>>do with them in between cigs, stop breathing?
>> --
>> Simon Mason
>
>We had this test performed regularly at work. Of the 10 or
>so people in our office it became a competition to see who
>could blow the peak flow meter off the scale. Only me and
>another bloke (a squash player) could do it (the max
>reading was 700 somethings). I remember one year I had a
>bit of cold and only scored 690 - oh the humiliation!
>
>Needless to say, the smokers came nowhere in the rankings.

I remember having ago on one of those about 10 years ago
[when I was
35]. My mate had been having breathing difficulties and had
been given one by the nurse. At the time I was well and
truly into a 20+ a day habit and figured it may not yeild
the best results. Anyway, I blew the needle right off the
scale - right up to the stop! I could do this on repeated
attempts. I quite enjoyed doing that, it was a good
reason for the addict to justify his habit :)

Leaving aside all the other facets of smoking, on a purely
fitness level, I'd say that smoking is not necessarily that
detrimental, providing you're getting plenty of exercise,
it's when you stop exercising that the effects of smoking
will really kick in when it comes to the lungs, that was my
experience anyway. Like so many of these things, It depends
on the person.

Mind you, having said that, when I hit 40 and had stopped
playing football for a year, I found I could barely climb a
hill [walking this
is] without stopping for a 'lung' rest! Needless to say,
this scared the **** out of me, and I began to get
visions of oxygen tanks in old age. F*** that for a game
of soldiers, time's up and the party's over, so I quit -
4 years ago, which is when I started cycling again[after
a break of 25 years]. It's ok....I miss the 'collective'
spirit of a team sport though, but I'm not complaining,
things change :)

Garry

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:03:35 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>We had this test performed regularly at work. Of the 10 or
>>so people in our office it became a competition to see who
>>could blow the peak flow meter off the scale. Only me and
>>another bloke (a squash player) could do it (the max
>>reading was 700 somethings).
>
>I can't quite do that with ours, but my asthma nurse
>assures me that she only has a dozen or so patients (out of
>more than 1,500) who can get close to my reading. All are
>"athletes"; I thought that being classed as an athlete
>because I commmute by bike was a nice touch :)

Hi Guy

I have no idea how I'd fare with a PFM - very badly, I'd
guess - but I do know that cycling is far easier and more
fun during my non-weed periods. Rocket science it ain't.

James

On 13 Mar 2004 06:06:33 -0800, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

:)My mate has just come back from our work's medical centre
:where he had )his lung efficiency tested. The nurse said
:that smokers do rather well )at this test as they are using
:their lungs more! Jeez, what on earth )does she think they
:do with them in between cigs, stop breathing?

It's probably down to all the extra coughing they do.
--
Comm again, Mike.

Originally posted by Pmailkeey

It's probably down to all the extra coughing they do.
--
Comm again, Mike.

Couldn't agree more, all those tar-filled hacking coughs they do must really get a maximum compression from the lungs (that is if they still have two and haven't had to have part or all of one removed because it's become a malignant sack of tar & phlegm).