smokers - whyyyyyyyyy????

Orange Fish

Dec 2, 2004
Smokers in cars, on the sidewalks, on the boardwalk by the beach, and nearly every other place we can think to ride our bikes...

As a cyclist, I lead a very healthy lifestyle in the hope of having a very high quality of life, but I can't stand it when I have to inhale second hand smoke from inconsiderate a$$holes on the sidewalk or in their cars with the windows down!

I just don't understand why people smoke...and why they have to be so inconsiderate to blow the smoke around so all of us smart, healthy people have to get the worst of it. I just got back to work from a 3 minute walk to the bagel shop for lunch, and I swear I passed 20 smokers...10 of them whose second-hand smoke I had to inhale or else hold my breath for about 60 seconds. Even then, the prevailing winds sent the smoke my way. It's a lose-lose situation. :mad:

Ok I feel better now that I'm back in the air conditioned wellness center and now that I vented on here instead of ripping into someone smoking a cigarette on the sidewalk :D

Orange Fish said:
Smokers in cars, on the sidewalks, on the boardwalk by the beach, and nearly every other place we can think to ride our bikes...

As a cyclist, I lead a very healthy lifestyle in the hope of having a very high quality of life, but I can't stand it when I have to inhale second hand smoke from inconsiderate a$$holes on the sidewalk or in their cars with the windows down!

I just don't understand why people smoke...and why they have to be so inconsiderate to blow the smoke around so all of us smart, healthy people have to get the worst of it. I just got back to work from a 3 minute walk to the bagel shop for lunch, and I swear I passed 20 smokers...10 of them whose second-hand smoke I had to inhale or else hold my breath for about 60 seconds. Even then, the prevailing winds sent the smoke my way. It's a lose-lose situation. :mad:

Ok I feel better now that I'm back in the air conditioned wellness center and now that I vented on here instead of ripping into someone smoking a cigarette on the sidewalk :D
I understand you frustration...I smoked for many years and when I finally quit it was very hard. I still crave a smoke when I am having cocktails but my desire to become ultra healthy is enough to keep that in check. Of all the years I smoked I know why my body wanted the nicotene but I can not put it into words. When I look at people smoking now I feel them destroying their bodies and wish I could make them stop but I certainly do not want to smell anyone's smoke second hand.

jaguar75 said:
I understand you frustration...I smoked for many years and when I finally quit it was very hard. I still crave a smoke when I am having cocktails but my desire to become ultra healthy is enough to keep that in check. Of all the years I smoked I know why my body wanted the nicotene but I can not put it into words. When I look at people smoking now I feel them destroying their bodies and wish I could make them stop but I certainly do not want to smell anyone's smoke second hand.
Yeah, see, that's the thing I can't understand. As a non-smoker, I have a hard time trying to figure out exactly why people crave the nicotine. But I try and try to put it into words many times and it never works, so if it's still hard for you (as an ex-smoker) to do so, then the reason must be very complex. I always see people who smoke and compare their general demeanor (spelling?) and the look on their face to people who don't smoke. The smokers always seem so much different than non-smokers (in a way that I can't really describe). It pisses me off to smell the second hand smoke, but at the same time I feel horrible seeing what they are doing to their bodies.

Orange Fish said:
Yeah, see, that's the thing I can't understand. As a non-smoker, I have a hard time trying to figure out exactly why people crave the nicotine. But I try and try to put it into words many times and it never works, so if it's still hard for you (as an ex-smoker) to do so, then the reason must be very complex. I always see people who smoke and compare their general demeanor (spelling?) and the look on their face to people who don't smoke. The smokers always seem so much different than non-smokers (in a way that I can't really describe). It pisses me off to smell the second hand smoke, but at the same time I feel horrible seeing what they are doing to their bodies.

Well let's think about this! Take some fermented plant roll it up and set it on fire. Now jam it it your mouth and inhale some deadly ,foul, toxic fumes.
Make perfect sense.
Now discard the remains on the ground where you would never think of littering with a candy wrapper or such.
The logic is flawless.

jhuskey said:
Well let's think about this! Take some fermented plant roll it up and set it on fire. Now jam it it your mouth and inhale some deadly ,foul, toxic fumes.
Make perfect sense.
Now discard the remains on the ground where you would never think of littering with a candy wrapper or such.
The logic is flawless.
LOL...There is more to it than that...you forgot to add the carcinegens (spelling?) to the mix. :)

You ever notice how a lot smokers are either alcoholics or addicted to something? I think it's the fact that they are compelled to be doing something that gets their body or mind feeling satisfied in some way. Not sure which vice is worse, but smoking definitely wins if they're blowing that junk in your direction.

tfstrum said:
You ever notice how a lot smokers are either alcoholics or addicted to something? I think it's the fact that they are compelled to be doing something that gets their body or mind feeling satisfied in some way. Not sure which vice is worse, but smoking definitely wins if they're blowing that junk in your direction.
everyone had bad habits...instead of asking why do they do this.. ask why don't I do something to help them

jaguar75 said:
LOL...There is more to it than that...you forgot to add the carcinegens (spelling?) to the mix. :)

I did say toxic but I did leave out cool they make you look :rolleyes:

Orange Fish said:

Tobacco is what made this country. How quick some seem to be to abandon something that served us quite well, economically, in the past. I'm quite intelligent & I partake. I know it isn't especially good for me. Get down off of that high horse "pious-man" :rolleyes: The current witch-hunt/banishment mentality is troubling.

jhuskey said:
Make perfect sense.
The logic is flawless.
I hold the indians in high esteem & they are the one's who showed the european immigrants how to do it. Everyone has a "cross to bear". Some smoke, some chew gum on line, some under eat, some over eat (#1 health problem in the U.S., leading to a plethora of medical problems-diabetes, heart problems, ect...), some drive cars w/o seat belts, ect...The list goes on. Why single out smoker's :confused:

davidmc said:
I hold the indians in high esteem & they are the one's who showed the european immigrants how to do it. Everyone has a "cross to bear". Some smoke, some chew gum on line, some under eat, some over eat (#1 health problem in the U.S., leading to a plethora of medical problems-diabetes, heart problems, ect...), some drive cars w/o seat belts, ect...The list goes on. Why single out smoker's :confused:

I have always posted to be moderate in all things.I for one do not single out smokers and attempt to help poeple to stop smoking and or drinking too much or what ever the issue and offer contacts to professional free assistance.
It is part of my job to do so.
Am I perfect? Hell no!
You point out that tobacco helped found this country. True but when that was happening the US was also being founded on Christianity.
Traditions are strong!

jhuskey said:
I have always posted to be moderate in all things.I for one do not single out smokers and attempt to help poeple to stop smoking and or drinking too much or what ever the issue and offer contacts to professional free assistance.
It is part of my job to do so.
Am I perfect? Hell no!
You point out that tobacco helped found this country. True but when that was happening the US was also being founded on Christianity.
Traditions are strong!
You make some good points. It should be noted that the number of new smokers is decreasing over time.

davidmc said:
Because the majority of them are assholes. :)