Smoking & Cycling

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by snafu, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

What can I say other than keep trying...I did the gum and failed. Zyban and failed. Hypnosis and failed. Will power and failed. Patches and failed. Probably a few more and failed...

It's more than a habit. It's an addiction. I had to get my brain straight first then I could deal with the smoking.

2. closesupport

closesupport Banned

tryed, i get bored when i ain't busy and i ain't got the energy to keep busy 24/7 have to stop sometimes, but like i said before, i don't smoke when i ride, and my lungs feel clear after the fist 10minutes.

its other people that tell me to start again, since i get very agressive when i'm trying to quit, i have quit before i quit for 14mths when i was running last. i've been riding for the last 8yrs or more but this year i have found it therapeutic to ride. work is boring so i smoke, when i ain't eating, or i find myself eating the full 20-25minutes during breaks.

patches and stuff don't work for me, i have to beable to occupy myself, also i find it a social thing, opposed to drinking, everyone seems to do it.

3. tpat3

tpat3 New Member

Listen, you will quit. It took me ten years and I have only been off them them a few months now after stopping many times. This time I just know I am never having another one. Don't ask me how I know, I just know. You will, too. Don't make yourself crazy, but don't listen to those who tell you to quit, either. Tough shit for them if you are a grouch for a while. Good luck, man.

4. closesupport

closesupport Banned

I started this morning at 3.50am on nicorette gum, i didn't smoke alday until 4.30pm when i woke from my sleep. 'I work nights' when i awoke i'd forgot and reached for a packet of the missus cigs, 9hrs i'd suffered for nothing. 'try again tomorrow hey! :)

but it ain't grouche! i'm nasty and hard to live with is best to be described.

I can smell the tobacco smell on my partners breath and around the house, even at work, its horrid, not something you can smell being a smoker. (helpful also), god help me when i regain my sence of taste or even my smell properly.

i hate to think how many foods i find that i dislike to eat.

5. closesupport

closesupport Banned

explain get ones brain straight??? :confused:

I found it easier to stop drinking and junk food, smoking is a nightmare, not something you can avoid really, although the gum thing at the minute is working but i confess i have had 3 cigs which is not bad a reduction from 10-15 depending upon how tired i am.

weather its down to the slight cold&sore throat from the last 4-5 days soakings that i have had, plus the working in damp clothes,

guess tommorrow is a whole new day :eek: now where did i put that lemsip :D

6. Mr2cents

Mr2cents New Member

I'm a smoker also. I used to smoke around 2 packs of cigs a day :eek: for about 25 years. I've tried to quit several times. I quit a few months ago for 46 days. I started back smoking on may 31, 2004. However I only smoke 10 - 18 cigs per day now. I plan on quitting again very soon.

I quit cold turkey, the only way that makes any sence to me. I followed the advise of whyquit.com. While I was quit, I could tell about a 50% performance in my breathing when I was cycling. I felt better overall, but something strange started happening. I gained about 20 pounds. My blood pressure has always been normal..120 over 80, and sometimes a little low 116 over 66.

However when I stopped smoking, my blood pressure went up 130 -140 over 85. I attributed this to the weight gain. I didn't have the energy that I had when I smoked. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not condoning smoking at all. I know it's bad for your health, and it does kill. However, with that said, The number 1 preventave killer in america today is "OBESITY" not smoking.

I don't have a link, but I heard it on world news tonight, and also the bbc, among other media outlets. We have teenage girls with osteoporosis, we have teenagers with blocked arteries in their heart.4o% of all american kids are overweight. 60% of all american adults are overweight. The number one killer in the united states for smokers is heart attacks. The number one killer in the united states for non smokers is heart attacks.!!

What I'm trying to say is this. Stopping smoking is only half the battle. This is my opinions, as I'm no medical expert. If you are overweight, your chances of dying is about the same as a smoker. Obesity causes high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and harms the liver. Smoking damages the lungs and other vital organs. Causes cancer, emphysema, and heart disease.

For me, I must quit smoking And lose weight. If I fail to do either, I might as well have both habits. Smoking and gluttony. Both kills. Diet and exercise is so important. That in my opinion is the number one thing to health...But I must quit smoking and overeating. I will quit smoking again, cycling is just to much fun. I do 10 and 15 mile rides now. I know if I quit smoking, I could go further.

I feel for people who have lost loved ones to smoking. I lost a friend a few months ago to smoking. I also had an aunt that died to obesity. I've lost friends to both, smoking and obesity. One is as bad as another.

One thing I will not do the next time I quit smoking is hang around quit smoking message boards. There are a lot of people that hang around those boards saying they have relapsed. I can't be around a lot of negativity like that. It can make anyone relapse. Some forums have a holier than thou attitude. If you smoke one cigarette, or take one puff, you are not allowed to come on these forums again. However, if someone quits smoking and gains 40 pds, that is okay with these forums. You'll hear some kinda garbage like this... Oh hun you've done so great. you haven't smoked for one year, don't worry about the 90 pounds you gained, that is completely harmless. LOL. This is the kind of garbage I see on these message boards.

Quit smoking, gain 90 pounds, it's okay!!! yeah right. These are my opinions, I'm offering no medical advise. Bottom line, quit smoking, eat your fruit and veggies, diet and exercise, and whatever you do, don't get fat. :p

7. closesupport

closesupport Banned

EVERYONE SAYS "I RIDE X MANY MILES, IF I STOPPED SMOKING I COULD DO MORE?" NOW I CAN HAPPILY CYCLE 100MILES WITH AVERAGE 20MPH'S AND I'M A SMOKER, THE ONLY REASON I WANT TO QUIT IS SO I CAN AFFORD A FEW MORE TRIPS A MONTH TO THE VELADOME, PLUS ITS REALLY THE ONLY BAD HABIT I HAVE, 'WELL EXCEPT FOR PICKING MY NOSE'! I DON'T DRINK, I DONT TAKE DRUGS, I TRY TO AVOID JUNK FOOD

8. Brunswick_kate

You do take drugs. Nicotine is a very powerful cardiac drug. It is a highly addictive. It works both as a stimulant and as a sedative. No...you're not mainlining heroin but the chemical in question doesn't make any differerence. You're a drug user. The only function of a cigarette is a delivery device for nicotine. And since you can't quit smoking, you're an addict.

We don't like looking at it this way. I know. I'm a nicotine junkie and I'm one cigarette away from a pack a day plus again. It's really that simple. I'm not different, no better, than an alcoholic or a cocaine addict.

And like every addict, you have a choice -- you can deal with your addiction or your addiction will deal with you.

9. Chaim

Chaim New Member

This is my announcement that as of tomorrow morning I quit smoking (Cigars).

I smoke(ed) ~6 cigars a day; Morning, Mid-day, going home, 3+ each evening.

I felt that smoking was not a clever act, I train for better cycling performance (on the bike and at the gym), I just lost 40 pounds (and feel a huge difference in my cycling capabilities), and I try to eat well. I also read in depth about cycling performance, nutrition, training techniques, and athletes life style.

With all of these athletic related activities, I was also smoking. Did not make sense!

In addition the way I smell, the rejection by other people, the comments about smell/health at the start of a cycling event (after smoking on my way to the starting point), the “need” to smoke to feel relaxed, the smoking in the cold winter (in the car or outdoor by my office building), the lack of attention I give my kid since I am “busy”, no car pooling to a cycling events, neglecting my house because I have better thinks to do (smoking), money, etc., did not make sense.

So I quit. :)

I do not see a problem with the smoking act itself as far as the addiction aspect. I will just have to adjust my life style to get over the habit aspect of smoking. Find activities that will take me away from my “smoking room” by my computer/TV in my home-office.

It was good that I stumbled into this thread and hope to get only positive comments and words of encasement…

I will post progress reports periodically.

:)

10. dsnapp

dsnapp New Member

Well said - Well said. It took me 10 yrs of quit attempts to finally ACCEPT what you just said. Once I accepted the fact that I am a Nicotine Addict - it was so much easier to create a strategy to deal with it.

Also when I quit, I too put on about 15 to 20lbs - I've now since taken them back off plus some and am in the best health in years. If you quit and put on 20lbs and then start smoking again because you are worried about weight gain, then you are just another over weight smoker waiting for heart disease to kick in.

Cheers

11. Brunswick_kate

Yes, keep us posted on to how it's going. It can be done. And you'll feel better about yourself when you accomplish it. The social factor of smoking is a big help now. It's just not socially acceptable to smoke any more.

12. Nitrojan646

Nitrojan646 New Member

This is off topic somewhat, but today I saw this girl college student wearing a "LiveSTRONG" bracelet and smoking and I thought that it was kinda silly considering they are trying to find cures for cancer and you're almost garunteeing(sp?) you get it......anyways good luck to you all...

13. tpat3

tpat3 New Member

The weight gain and some other negative changes changes in your body are temporary. You will lose the weight and worrying about it is silly excuse-making. I'm only off the smokes for a few months and yes I have gained some pounds and my cholesterol is up, but big deal. I feel much better all the time and do things physically I have not been able to do in years. I saw the doc a few days ago for the annual check up. He hollered at me about the weight but said keep after it and I will lose it.
    I will and you will too when you are ready to do it.

14. tpat3

tpat3 New Member

Stop worrying about other people or how things will smell or taste. Jeesh. This is about you, not them. You can think of a million excuses if you want. I used to think I'd wait until I had less stress in my life. Not sure when I thought that would be.
    My first day off them I nearly strangled a clerk in the Wal Mart, but don't get those urges so much anymore:)

15. Brunswick_kate

See how mean you are when you can't breathe.

16. bluboy4_us

bluboy4_us New Member

I'm a recovering addict/alcoholic with over 4 yrs. clean and sober. The grouchiness that happens the first few days is normal because one is used to doing things a certain way and that has changed. There was a recent gov't study that revealed that nicotine addiction is harder to quit than herion. I never did herion and I don't wish to compare the two. In fact, the two most deadly drugs are nicotine and alcohol and BOTH ARE DRUGS. I applaud anyone who's addiction to a substance has gone into remission ( as addiction can become active again). Sadly, with all that I know about recovery from addiction, I still smoke. :( It is my last drug and the hardest to quit. I've been on the patch and the pill at the same time and I still smoked. I've manged to cut down to two packs a week but I can't seem to stop. I know that it would increase my VO2 and thereby reduce lactic acid. I bear a daily shame from this addiction and I make no excuses for it. I plain simply know better but one of the components of addiction is compulsion and I remain a slave to its call. I can only hope that I can find a shallower bottom than cancer and a way out of this downward spiral of shame. As for anyone who has remained smoke-free longer than I have managed- you have my cheers. :D

17. FranklynMint

FranklynMint New Member

I tried combining the two for a bit, but I couldn't keep the ashtray on the handlebars.

18. Gilders

Gilders New Member

Smoked heavily from 18 to 28, with about two year's worth of aggregate quitting in between (primarily using NRT - have to say that became totally addicted to the gum, happily chewing up to 30 pieces of the 6mg stuff a day - not good!).

Post 21, also started to pile the fat on as well, so wasn't even as if I had the excuse of doing it to stay thin (got up to and just over 210 lb in 1999, when I'd weighed in at 155 lb 3 year's before). Gave up on promising performances in athletics sprinting competitions and also on several years of enjoyable cycling. What a waste! (n.b. ciggies in the UK now not so short of the £5 for 20 marker - what a waste of cash if nothing else)

Knocked it on the head in 2002 a la cold turkey style after nearly passing out on a fairly undemanding walk in the Polish / Czech border "mountains" (hills). Since then, have dropped down to 163lb, got into scuba diving and been cycling prolifically since October of last year. Two recent intensive medicals this year have shown that my lung capacity is now apparently that of a healthy 19 year old, so pretty darn chuffed with this news.

In terms of quality of life, well that's gone through the roof since quitting. It's great to be back at a level of fitness akin to that of when I was a teen! Would not give this all up again for an addiction that frankly offered so very little return on the investment!

What I wonder is, for those cyclists and other athletes who manage to perform well whilst remaining habitual smokers, regardless of what it is that they are smoking, just how damn good would they be if they actually quit....?

19. Chaim

Chaim New Member

It’s more than a week and WE still don't smoke.

Yes, when my wife learned that I am quitting she joined me...she smoked 1.5 packs a day...she is doing the patch and she does not miss the cigarettes a bit.

I was surprised to find out that it was harder for me with Cigars. I guess the habit aspect of it was stronger for me than the addiction in my wife’s case. It takes longer to smoke a cigar and you get attached to the habit.

Whatever! We just quit!

YOU ALL CAN DO IT. JUST DONT PANICK. ITS FUN TO FEEL FREE FROM THE HABIT.

20. Brunswick_kate

Keep it up mate. And you've got 90% of it beat when you've got your head around it.

And do something fun with the money you're not spending on the tobacco. It will mean a lot for both of you to see something or have a memory of something you've done with the money that was previously up in smoke.