Smoking.

Veloco22

Mar 1, 2007
Hi everybody. This is my first post in these forums so i guess this will also be my introduction. Ive liveed in socal all my life and couldnt imagine being anywhere else. I go to college, work at a restaurant, and ride my bikes (ibex apogee xt(MTB) and lemond croix de fer(road)) whenever i get a chance.

Anyway, I was just wondering about the use of marijuana and cycling. First off, before the massive flaming begins, im not a pothead. I do enjoy smoking from time to time, but as far as the stereotypical munchie craving dead head, not me. Its more of a meditation thing, calming. I recently tried smoking a little before going out for a moderate ride (about 40 miles) and found that it helped me focus all of my concentration on spinning, while still feeling relaxed. Its hard to describe but it was almost like being on autopilot, or a meditative state if that makes any sense. I didnt think so much about the headwind of the heat or what might be slowing me down rather than maintaining and enjoying. Sometimes I find that when I go out and ride i feel like im fighting against the elements and get frustrated and that kills my energy.

Am i crazy, or has anyone else tried this? Also, would it be considered doping??

duuuuuude, are you still high? apart from frying the **** out of your throat, and the **** in your lungs and the coughing, I'm glad you were calm. I really don't think many serious cyclists are smoking dope immediately before training

I have smoked weed before and went on a short ride before and I know what you mean but it doesn't hinder or enhance anything at all. It is just a feeling and nothing more.

bauerb said:
duuuuuude, are you still high? apart from frying the **** out of your throat, and the **** in your lungs and the coughing, I'm glad you were calm. I really don't think many serious cyclists are smoking dope immediately before training

Easy Killer....
He is talking once a week maybe. As long as you are not doing harm to anyone else I do not see the harm he did not say he was a Cat1 racer. He just enjoys cycling and there are much worse things he could be doing in his spare time.

FYI: Smoking grass does not make you edgy/nervous trust me I know. (Go to Amsterdam, or a Phish concert and see for yourself.) As for frying your throat and coughing then you are doing it all wrong.

Veloco22: My friends and I call them "Recovery Rides" (you have to do the quotes with your fingers.) just a chilled ride no HRMs, Bike computers, just some friends on their bikes for a few hours having a good time.

don't get me wrong, I really don't give a **** about the "taking drugs" issue, my point had to do with dumping smoke into your lungs. I smoked a pack of marlboro reds a day for 5 years(10 years ago). the thought of putting any smoke into my lungs now, makes me cringe. maybe there is some new dope smoking technology that has emerged since my college days that scrubs the smoke of everything but the THC? otherwise your lungs are doing the scrubbing

bauerb said:
don't get me wrong, I really don't give a **** about the "taking drugs" issue, my point had to do with dumping smoke into your lungs. I smoked a pack of marlboro reds a day for 5 years(10 years ago). the thought of putting any smoke into my lungs now, makes me cringe. maybe there is some new dope smoking technology that has emerged since my college days that scrubs the smoke of everything but the THC? otherwise your lungs are doing the scrubbing

There is a thing called a vaporizer never seen or used one but the way my friends decribe it probably does what you are saying.

I do see you point being an ex smoker not wanting to inhale the smoke.

Thanks for the input. Some of you guys get up really early. I like the idea of the use for recovery rides. And of course im no cat1 racer, but i consider myself to be ok. I dont really have any haking or coughing problems and am able to breath pretty well just through my nose, most of the time. I dont smoke cigarettes, and have been thinking about getting a vaporizer but theyre really expensive and I wouldnt be getting too much use out of it. As a follow up I tried to ride yesterday after packin up a little dazzler and go for a longer ride which was about 2/3 of the stage 6 route of the amgen (sb to ojai via casitas pass), only backwards. I forgot to refill my camelback (stoner moment) at casitas and halfway through the pass i had to turn back for fear that I might become too dehydrated. When i got home my legs were unusually sore and kept having to stretch to avoid cramping up, I dont know if this was related or not. So, it definately has its pros and cons. I gotta say I like the idea of the ganja energy bar . :p

you a ucsb student? i went there, and there were heaps of meatheads who would workout while on marijuana. lots said it did for them exactly what you describe.

vitamin s said:
you a ucsb student? i went there, and there were heaps of meatheads who would workout while on marijuana. lots said it did for them exactly what you describe.
I can't talk from any experience, but would it not delay reaction times, balance etc and be a safety concern?

The Double Zero said:
I can't talk from any experience, but would it not delay reaction times, balance etc and be a safety concern?

There have been a couple of studies done comparing drinking and driving to Smoking and Driving and the person who smoked had much better control, balance, and attentiveness than those who drank.

My experience is that you are more relaxed but not less attentive to the environment around you. (i.e. Cars, stop signs, road hazzards, etc.) But like drinking it effects everyone differently.

"you a ucsb student? i went there, and there were heaps of meatheads who would workout while on marijuana. lots said it did for them exactly what you describe."

Nope. Too expensive. Im not sure if you mean the poitive or negative effects with regards to the meatheads. I enjoy going up to Isla Vista though, and I know what your talkin about. I dont understand how so many people up there get high all the time and get all their school work done :confused: As for reaction time, balance and general coherency, i've had only been in one situation where inhibriation may have been a factor. It involved doing a total front flip over the back end of a saturn that decided to stop in the middle of an intersection, going into it head on at roughly 25mph. Although, I was able to land on my feet on the other side of the car and to my own amazement rolled it off without incurring more than a couple small scratches, no blood. One slightly bruised knee later (from hitting the car) and I had a new appreciation for life and a completely taco'd trek frame. So I guess you could say that it may slow reaction time, but whatever you lose there is made up in acrobatic ability. Sounds pretty scientific to me. :cool:

Call me a stoner, pothead, etc, I smoke BEFORE every ride. It is relaxing and the pain while doing intervals seems like less pain. It also seems to motivate me to beat a PB. I have no breathing problems or coughing, i been toking 20 yrs. One negative thing about it though, if I don't smoke, I cant eat enough to support my training and racing, no appetite. I'm not saying its good to do, but I don't think its as bad as studies suggest. I know a 83 year old lady who smokes pot everyday since she was a teen, she is very healthy for her age and has a sharp mind.

Call me a stoner, pothead, etc, I smoke BEFORE every ride. It is relaxing and the pain while doing intervals seems like less pain. It also seems to motivate me to beat a PB. I have no breathing problems or coughing, i been toking 20 yrs. One negative thing about it though, if I don't smoke, I cant eat enough to support my training and racing, no appetite. I'm not saying its good to do, but I don't think its as bad as studies suggest. I know a 83 year old lady who smokes pot everyday since she was a teen, she is very healthy for her age and has a sharp mind.

Amen.