Smooth Mover: bicycle with electronic gearchange and adaptive suspension

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:33:47 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Trek Navigator L700 "Smover"
>Bicycle with Automatic Gearchange and Electronic Adaptive Suspension
>delivered by Shimano Di2 Cyber Nexus Groupset
>
>a photo essay by André Jute
>
>http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Trek Navigator L700 Smover.html

Thanks for sharing. Interesting bike. Lot of effort gone in to it it
seems.

I am curious about the seat and the comments about same. Is this some
sort of suspension seat?

Regards
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

On Sep 6, 5:43 pm, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:33:47 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> >Trek Navigator L700 "Smover"
> >Bicycle with Automatic Gearchange and Electronic Adaptive Suspension
> >delivered by Shimano Di2 Cyber Nexus Groupset

> >a photo essay by André Jute

> >http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Trek Navigator L700%...

> Thanks for sharing. Interesting bike. Lot of effort gone in to it it
> seems.
>
> I am curious about the seat and the comments about same. Is this some
> sort of suspension seat?

The suspension pin came on the seat; it is probably by Kalloy. It's
not brill as a single twist control (the bright ring) is supposed both
for firmness and for twist control. As inexpensive suspension seat
pins go, I liked the Post Moderne Glide on my Gazelle Toulouse better;
in fact, when the thread on the Glide fitting was stripped and I
bought a more expensive Post Moderne suspended seatpin called Cushy, I
was sorry I didn't buy another Glide, which is soft enough but well
controlled. The Cushy is too stiff, and the Kalloy on the Trek has too
much side to side movement.

The seat itself did not come with the bike. It is a Cheeko90; it's
called something else in the States. I bought it by mailorder from a
Dutch mail order merchant called Hagemeier who advertises on Ebay as
Bikerstore. The idea is that you sit on the seat or lean against it
with the fold between thigh and cheek, and that you don't suffer numb
nuts and rubbing burns. It works; I first put it on my Gazelle
Toulouse more than a year ago and it was the first thing I moved over
to the Trek -- which came with "racing" saddle that would unman a
eunuch.

HTH.

Andre Jute

On Sep 6, 10:40 pm, ray <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Trek Navigator L700 "Smover"
> > Bicycle with Automatic Gearchange and Electronic Adaptive Suspension
> > delivered by Shimano Di2 Cyber Nexus Groupset

> > a photo essay by André Jute

> >http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Trek Navigator L700%...

> What happens when your bike has a Blue Screen of Death?

The "bike", as you have it, is not likely to die. If an electronic
*component* dies, one does exactly what *you* do, what everyone else
does, when a mechanical component on your bike dies, order a
replacement part. That is the point of a modular bike, and furthermore
one fitted out with a Shimano groupset, that the modules are
replaceable, in theory, and surpisingly often in practice too if you
buy reputable gear to start with, infinitely replacebale.

Of course, Shimano has in the past dropped groupsets that didn't sell
well enough, or developed them under the same name to such an extent
that interchangeability is compromised. Should that happen in the Di2
Cyber Nexus case, one could chuck off the electronic control parts and
still be left with an excellent electrically (rather than
electronically clever) controlled Shimano Nexus gearset on your bike;
you would just use the electrical switches manually. Or you could
chuck the electrics altogether, and still be left with a Nexus Premium
groupset on your bike, manually controlled by a rotary gearlever and a
push-pull cable. The Di2 electronically adaptive suspension,
incidentally, has a rotary manual control to preset its stiffness or
to lock it out, just like lesser suspension forks; the automatic
adaptive electronic control is an override, extra function.

However, while I answer your gloomy, negative speculation politely,
your question merely demonstrates that you haven't read my article
closely enough. I did say that I can see no reason why Shimano's
electronics shouldn't be as durable as their mechanical parts. In
fact, anyone who knows about electronics will tell you electronics are
more durable than mechanical parts, as they do not wear. And Shimano's
are low-stress electronics with just about zero heat dispersal
required and thus very low risk of them wearing out. Ask Patrick
Turner, who besides being a bikie is a tubie, a guy who builds high-
stress thermionic valve electronics for a living, but who also knows
about the low stress solid-state kind.

There is something else about low dissipation solid state electronics.
If they don't break within the first month, they are good to go
virtually without limit. Shimano's electronic gearchanges have now
been going in various versions for a decade or a dozen years, without
any significant reports of breakages or service difficulties.
Significantly, when I posted the URL to my Smover on two electronic
groups I read, not one of the knowledgeable people there even
mentioned the reliability of the electronics: they all just assumed
that reliability will be so high as not to be worth discussing.

So, the short answer to your question is: What failure? Or, Come back
in twenty years and ask me again.

Of course, on the principle you're right: anyone who considers buying
so technical a bike would be a fool not ask all the relevant questions
in advance.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

[email protected] wrote:
> [...]

> been going in various versions for a decade or a dozen years, without
> any significant reports of breakages or service difficulties.
> Significantly, when I posted the URL to my Smover on two electronic
> groups I read, not one of the knowledgeable people there even
> mentioned the reliability of the electronics: they all just assumed
> that reliability will be so high as not to be worth discussing.
>
> So, the short answer to your question is: What failure? Or, Come back
> in twenty years and ask me again.
>
> Of course, on the principle you're right: anyone who considers buying
> so technical a bike would be a fool not ask all the relevant questions
> in advance.
>
> Andre Jute
> Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
> "wonderfully well written and reasoned information

What a load of nonsense. Anyone will tell you that most electronic
devices fail eventually. Electrolytic capacitors are usually the first
thing to fail, if you have a device that fails for no apparent reason
the first thing to do is replace all the electrolytics in it. Secondly,
you have problems with moisture and mechanical stresses, which is the
cause of most failures with bike speedos. Devices used in reactive
circuits are also subject to failure by voltage or current surges.

Anyone that uses tubes obviously isn't interested in real hifi, in fact
Silicon Chip magazine won't publish any more valve amplifier projects
because they simply don't compare to solid state amplifiers.

Dorfus

[email protected] wrote:
> Yeah, I saw Dippy Dorfie's little collection of outright errors,
> malignant bias and gross ignorance. I can't be bothered to correct
> every fulminant teenager who confuses the ability to operate a
> keyboard with possession of a relevant opinion, and takes an
> impertinently hectoring tone besides. Poor little man heard some
> streetcorner gossip and now he rushes in here all flushed and shouts
> it out like gospel. I doubt he'll consider you straightening him out,
> no matter how kindly your tone, a favour. -- Andre Jute

Au contraire. I invite scrutiny of the facts, that's the point of a
forum, a public open place where the facts may be discussed and
dissected to establish the truth. I know we all have egos here but that
shouldn't prevent open discussion of the topic at hand.

You assume I'm a poor, male, teenager, so without knowing any facts you
already condemn me with your stereotypes.

Dorfus

"Dorfus Dippintush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Yeah, I saw Dippy Dorfie's little collection of outright errors,
>> malignant bias and gross ignorance. I can't be bothered to correct every
>> fulminant teenager who confuses the ability to operate a keyboard with
>> possession of a relevant opinion, and takes an impertinently hectoring
>> tone besides. Poor little man heard some streetcorner gossip and now he
>> rushes in here all flushed and shouts it out like gospel. I doubt he'll
>> consider you straightening him out,
>> no matter how kindly your tone, a favour. -- Andre Jute
>>

> Au contraire. I invite scrutiny of the facts, that's the point of a forum,
> a public open place where the facts may be discussed and dissected to
> establish the truth. I know we all have egos here but that shouldn't
> prevent open discussion of the topic at hand.
>
> You assume I'm a poor, male, teenager, so without knowing any facts you
> already condemn me with your stereotypes.
>
> Dorfus

Dorfus
Welcome to the tutti-frutti world of Jutey Frutti, Usenet nutbar who has
spent the last 12 years trying to convince the residents of rec.audio.tubes
that he actually knows something about the subject. One of his
characteristics is that any opinion of his must be accorded the status of
Holy Writ and A Lesson For All Mankind. Dare to differ with him and you will
receive a barrage of frothing ad hominem spite based on his personal
assumptions and prejudices.

Hyper

Hypertension wrote:
> "Dorfus Dippintush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Yeah, I saw Dippy Dorfie's little collection of outright errors,
>>> malignant bias and gross ignorance. I can't be bothered to correct every
>>> fulminant teenager who confuses the ability to operate a keyboard with
>>> possession of a relevant opinion, and takes an impertinently hectoring
>>> tone besides. Poor little man heard some streetcorner gossip and now he
>>> rushes in here all flushed and shouts it out like gospel. I doubt he'll
>>> consider you straightening him out,
>>> no matter how kindly your tone, a favour. -- Andre Jute
>>>

>> Au contraire. I invite scrutiny of the facts, that's the point of a forum,
>> a public open place where the facts may be discussed and dissected to
>> establish the truth. I know we all have egos here but that shouldn't
>> prevent open discussion of the topic at hand.
>>
>> You assume I'm a poor, male, teenager, so without knowing any facts you
>> already condemn me with your stereotypes.
>>
>> Dorfus
>>

> Dorfus
> Welcome to the tutti-frutti world of Jutey Frutti, Usenet nutbar who has
> spent the last 12 years trying to convince the residents of rec.audio.tubes
> that he actually knows something about the subject. One of his
> characteristics is that any opinion of his must be accorded the status of
> Holy Writ and A Lesson For All Mankind. Dare to differ with him and you will
> receive a barrage of frothing ad hominem spite based on his personal
> assumptions and prejudices.
>
> Hyper

That's ok. Everyone's allowed to have an opinion, but we need to look at
the facts.

Dorfus

[email protected] wrote:

> Yeah, I saw Dippy Dorfie's little collection of outright errors,
> malignant bias and gross ignorance. I can't be bothered to correct
> every fulminant teenager who confuses the ability to operate a
> keyboard with possession of a relevant opinion, and takes an
> impertinently hectoring tone besides. Poor little man heard some
> streetcorner gossip and now he rushes in here all flushed and shouts
> it out like gospel. I doubt he'll consider you straightening him out,
> no matter how kindly your tone, a favour. -- Andre Jute

Lets not worry about such things too much, one man's truth is another
man's BS.

But he mightn't be a teenager; could be 60+ like me.

Plenty of dudes out there whose rationality and conviviality does not
improve as years roll by...
like badly cellared vintages.....

I admit I have to think carefully if I ever say, the older i get,
the better I was......

Patrick Turner.

Dorfus Dippintush wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Yeah, I saw Dippy Dorfie's little collection of outright errors,
> > malignant bias and gross ignorance. I can't be bothered to correct
> > every fulminant teenager who confuses the ability to operate a
> > keyboard with possession of a relevant opinion, and takes an
> > impertinently hectoring tone besides. Poor little man heard some
> > streetcorner gossip and now he rushes in here all flushed and shouts
> > it out like gospel. I doubt he'll consider you straightening him out,
> > no matter how kindly your tone, a favour. -- Andre Jute
> >

> Au contraire. I invite scrutiny of the facts, that's the point of a
> forum, a public open place where the facts may be discussed and
> dissected to establish the truth. I know we all have egos here but that
> shouldn't prevent open discussion of the topic at hand.
>
> You assume I'm a poor, male, teenager, so without knowing any facts you
> already condemn me with your stereotypes.

I speak for myself, and I don't assume anything about you.

I know the lamp posts outside my place better than i know you.

You could be rich, female, quite old; its the Internet, and people
lurk about and hide their real identity, and it suits many ppl because
they prefer the
fantasy of the unreal profile they may have created online.
Such self indulgence is irresistable to many. and they find themselves
being noticed more in Cyber space
than enduring the harsh glare of the scrutiny of the outside real world.

I won't say that's where you are at all, just that this may appear to be
the case
if I knew you better, and I don't really mind either way.

But just remember that what you consider to be so plainly and obviously
factual may appear to others as
being quite non factual.

When you get a moment, perhaps you could try reading some discussions
about what is fact or not at

ra Whil gettileves being ' becauf

I merely invited you to consider salient issue

Dorfus Dippintush wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Yeah, I saw Dippy Dorfie's little collection of outright errors,
> > malignant bias and gross ignorance. I can't be bothered to correct
> > every fulminant teenager who confuses the ability to operate a
> > keyboard with possession of a relevant opinion, and takes an
> > impertinently hectoring tone besides. Poor little man heard some
> > streetcorner gossip and now he rushes in here all flushed and shouts
> > it out like gospel. I doubt he'll consider you straightening him out,
> > no matter how kindly your tone, a favour. -- Andre Jute
> >

> Au contraire. I invite scrutiny of the facts, that's the point of a
> forum, a public open place where the facts may be discussed and
> dissected to establish the truth. I know we all have egos here but that
> shouldn't prevent open discussion of the topic at hand.
>
> You assume I'm a poor, male, teenager, so without knowing any facts you
> already condemn me with your stereotypes.

I speak for myself, and I don't assume anything about you.

I know the lamp posts outside my place better than i know you.

You could be rich, female, quite old; its the Internet, and people
lurk about and hide their real identity, and it suits many ppl because
they prefer the
fantasy of the unreal profile they may have created online.
Such self indulgence is irresistable to many. And they find themselves
being noticed more in Cyber space
than enduring the harsh glare of the scrutiny of the outside real world.

I won't say that's where you are at all, just that this may appear to be
the case
if I knew you better, and I don't really mind either way.

But just remember that what you consider to be so plainly and obviously
factual may appear to others as
being quite non factual.

When you get a moment, perhaps you could try reading some discussions
about what is fact or not at

http://richarddawkins.net/

Mr Dawkins does not have a great regard for religious beliefs, and has
written a few books on why.
Its quite thought provoking, and he raises people's minds above their
mundane ideas about
bicycles, hi-fi, and all manner of things.

The local butcher used to ask me, "How are yer mate?"
I'd typically reply,
"I have no idea",

He'd look puzzled, and I'd ask, "why are you?"

He'd look even more puzzled.

"How can you know how you are if you do not know why you are?"

Anyway, most ppl know frightfully little about themselves, and facts of
life,
and nothing of the universe, the world, but many swan about thinking
they know
all these facts.....
And they like to shoot everyone who dissagrees.

Anyway, I got on very well with my butcher, we always had a cheery chat
every time I walked in, but of course his shop was bought out
and replaced by a fine big supermarket, and after 15 years since he
closed,
I can still buy meat for $9 a kilo.

Hopefully, I will get out on me bike termorra.
This for me is about as religious as I get.

Patrick Turner.

> Dorfus

"Patrick Turner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
<snip parts>

>... its the Internet, and people
> lurk about and hide their real identity, and it suits many ppl because
> they prefer the
> fantasy of the unreal profile they may have created online.
> Such self indulgence is irresistable to many. and they find themselves
> being noticed more in Cyber space
> than enduring the harsh glare of the scrutiny of the outside real world.

A very apposite comment in a thread started by Jute. Could it be that you
know full well that the man is a ******** artist?

Hyper

Peter Howard wrote:

> "Patrick Turner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> <snip parts>
>
> >... its the Internet, and people
> > lurk about and hide their real identity, and it suits many ppl because
> > they prefer the
> > fantasy of the unreal profile they may have created online.
> > Such self indulgence is irresistable to many. and they find themselves
> > being noticed more in Cyber space
> > than enduring the harsh glare of the scrutiny of the outside real world.
> >

> A very apposite comment in a thread started by Jute. Could it be that you
> know full well that the man is a ******** artist?

I plead ignorant. I don't know everthing. I allow folks to have their
own truth.

I cited Richard Dawkins who challenges all religious beliefs which so
many folks hold up as being SO TRUE.
I agree with Dawkins that the study of Theology is utter BS.
However, I can only praise the people involved in religions who do good
works.
But I am definately not so keen on religious organizations operating tax
free,
a nice little lurk and rort if you can arrange it.
Many good people have deep religious convictions without the slightest
evidence that there
is a God which they so carefully try to define. An after life for them
IS going to happen.
But I also know a lot of very pleasant atheists. I don't mind that I
think I ain't
going anywhere when i am dead, and I don't mind being infinitely dumb
about the
nature of the universe.
To describe the Universe would take an infinitely large description, and
we have only finite brains,
so ultimate knowledge is denied to us. The religious leaders such as the
Pope, Mullahs, chief Rabbis
all should realize all this but they want to believe they know better.
They tried to force us into submission by insisting Hell was a feared
place you could go
if you sinned badly.
But not if you repented in time. The more they tried to brainwash me as
a kid, the
less interest I had in going to church, and hence the Grand Decline in
churchgoing,
because I wasn't alone in rejecting whatever the Christian God might be.

I have no desire to change religious beliefs, unless I have to.
They leave me alone, I leave them alone, they think prayer makes a
difference,
I know it doesn't. I'm happy with most of my ideas.
Once I was taught the Catholic Catechism, "Who made the world?" it
asked.
Answer, "God made the world", but it doesn't ask or answer who made God.
I'll give you an answer now though :- God made God. he sure ain't no old
giza drifing
around on a cloud up There, and he don't control the weather, or who
gets cancer,
or whether you'll stike it lucky playing the pokies.
How YOU make out here on Earth depends to me on YOU, not god.
But people construct a belief of a god in their minds. I just prefer to
have some strong fine notion
of the seven virtues and seven vices, and God doesn't need to figure in
morality rules.

But how could God make God? Well, "he", or rather IT, just musta made
himself Itself somehow or else nothing would exist.
Its all a mystery, and I think everyone exists in a permanent state of
almost complete UNCERTAINTY.
I think the Popes are wrong........
The more we look into the distances of space, the further it stretches,
and the further we look
into atomic particles, the more mystery is revealed.
But when most religions formerly formed or evolved in the distant past,
mankind
could not see much further than his nose. Lots of fantasy and BS was
invented so the few
could rule over the many.

I don't mind the mystery, and if a Pope says "watch out mate, you'll go
to hell",
I would say Mr Pope, you appear to be bullshitting, but I have few hard
feelings.
I just keep out of churches. For many its a very nice place to
socialise,
and many people need to just be together with their agreed beliefs,
chanting mumbo jumbo all sunday,
but I find it all a gigantically boring sham.

To me such socials on a sunday have never been appealing; I'd rather
go for a bike ride, to see, to hear, to feel the presence of Nature
and admire the Wonderment of the Mystery, and I don't need some dude
dressed in fancy dress telling me what to believe in.

As i said, its somewhat pointless to argue because one man's facts are
another man's BS.

I did have a nice ride today, but huffed and puffed a bit extra because
of the flu I had....

Lotsa people out riding....

Patrick Turner.

On Sep 8, 4:45 pm, "Peter Howard" <[email protected]> wrote:
> A very apposite comment in a thread started by Jute. Could it be that you
> know full well that the man is a ******** artist?
>
> Hyper

According to Google (1, 2) you sent 112 messages about me to RAT
alone, Howard. I don't know you; who are you? I don't remember eating
your lunch either. Was it peanut butter sandwiches?

Andre Jute

(1) http://groups.google.ie/group/rec.a...o.tubes&q=howard++jute&qt_g=Search+this+group

(2) http://groups.google.ie/group/rec.a...s&q=hypertension++jute&qt_g=Search+this+group

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 06:39:40 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> However, while I answer your gloomy, negative speculation politely,
> your question merely demonstrates that you haven't read my article
> closely enough. I did say that I can see no reason why Shimano's
> electronics shouldn't be as durable as their mechanical parts.

Here are two: moisture and vibration. But if you only ride your bike
indoors on a trainer, you're perfectly correct.

On Sep 9, 3:47 pm, Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 06:39:40 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > However, while I answer your gloomy, negative speculation politely,
> > your question merely demonstrates that you haven't read my article
> > closely enough. I did say that I can see no reason why Shimano's
> > electronics shouldn't be as durable as their mechanical parts.

> Here are two: moisture and vibration. But if you only ride your bike
> indoors on a trainer, you're perfectly correct.

Everything is possible, Michael. But a moment's thought will tell you
that vibration is Shimano's business and has always been. They're good
at dealing with it.

Moisture is probably more dangerous. However, I've done electronics
for my hobby for fifteen years, the sort of high voltage stuff in
which moisture will kill you, so I make a pretty keen inspection!
Inspection of the Shimano electronic units persuaded me that the motor
unit which changes the gears and the suspension unit are immune to
ingress of water. The CPU, which to me doesn't appear overly
watertight (say merely more watertight than a BUMM Lumotec front
light), is designed by Shimano to sit under the downtube. I live in
Ireland where it rains often. Mine has survived five months of riding
through and up streams, and being washed with running water.

However, Shimano isn't new to electronics either. They have been
selling electronic gearsets for a decade or so, and there is no record
of moisture-caused trouble.

> But if you only ride your bike
> indoors on a trainer, you're perfectly correct.

Oh, I don't own a trainer; why should I? A little rain won't kill me.
I wouldn't dream of pampering a bike or a car or a watch or anything
at all. I despise "collectors" who own fine things merely to brag
about and not for use. I use everything I own hard. Wear adds
character.

But if we all took your timorous attitude, we'd all still be riding
penny-farthings with wooden tyres.