Smoothie Recipes For Cyclists

Lizel

Feb 17, 2015
Team Sky Smoothie Recipe
Smoothie recipes for cyclists: Mixed fruit smoothie with a shot of seeds for added brownie points
Ingredients
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Apples
  • Mango
  • Lemon peel
  • Banana
  • Cows milk or rice milk if lactose intolerant
  • Seeds: Pumpkin, flax, goji berries
Cooking Method
  1. Peel and chop the fruit and place in a hand blender or smoothie maker
  2. Add some lemon zest
  3. Add milk
  4. Blend until you reach your preferred consistency and serve a medium sized glass for each rider!
Nutritional benefits
Smoothies are great for cyclists because by mixing different fruits and seeds you can get a range of vitamins, minerals, protein and fats into your regular diet.
Rice Milk:
Chef Søren Kristiansen uses rice milk because some riders get upper respiratory congestion and some have lactose intolerance. Respiratory efficiency and gut health is very important when you are taking on large rides on a Grand Tour, preparing for a sportive or taking on a multi day cycling holiday.
Lactose intolerance can also increase during times of stress so if you think you might be showing signs of lactose intolerance then rice milk is worth a try.
Fruit and Seeds:
  • Apples are a great source of soluble fibre and so will keep you fuelled up for longer and less reliant on sugary snacks, the vitamin C and antioxidants will help keep you healthy
  • Mangos are juicy, tasty multivitamin alternatives packing in vitamins A, B6, C and E as well as potassium and soluble fibre to improve gut health
  • Blueberries and strawberries are high in antioxidants that keep us health by fighting disease-inducing free radicals in our body
  • Lemon peel can aid digestion by helping to reduce gas and cramping in the digestive system
  • Bananas are high in potassium, which is vital for muscle contraction one banana delivers your 4mg of potassium that you need every day
  • Seeds are high in fiber, vitamin E, monounsaturated fats, protein, iron ,folic acid and zinc
  • Goji berries contain all essential amino acids, have the highest concentration of protein of any fruit and are loaded with vitamin C, calcium, zinc, selenium and a whopping 15 times the amount of iron found in spinach
Source: http://www.brevet.cc/cycling-nutrition-tips-smoothie-recipes-for-cyclists/

1. Morning Sunshine Smoothie
Packed with vitamin C, this sweet and tangy citrus smoothie will inspire smiles on even the rainiest morning.
2-3 freshly-juiced tangerines
1 ruby red grapefruit (juiced)
A handful of frozen strawberries
Peel and juice the tangerines with the grapefruit, and puree the blended juice with the frozen strawberries.
2. Mango Blueberry Bliss Smoothie
1 mango, peeled and cubed
1 pint of blueberries
1 banana (frozen or fresh)
1 teaspoon of maple syrup.
1 cup non-dairy milk of choice (almond, soy, or coconut are recommended)
Puree all ingredients together in a blender, and enjoy. A handful of chopped ice can be added if desired.
3. Minted Fruit Cocktail Juice
1 apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 orange, peeled and divided
1/2 cup pineapple
2 cups watermelon, cubed and seeded
1 teaspoon lemon juice
A small sprig of fresh mint
Juice the apple and orange first, followed by the pineapple. Transfer juice to a blender, and add the watermelon, lemon juice, and mint. Puree until smooth.

4. Berry Boost Smoothie
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup blackberries
1/2 cup cherries
1 banana
1 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon flax oil
1 teaspoon honey
dash of cinnamon
Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
5. Green Goddess Juice
1/2 a cucumber, peeled and sliced
1 stalk of celery
1 handful of kale
1 apple, peeled and sliced
1 pear, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Juice all of the ingredients in order, ending with the lemon juice. If you find that the juice is too thick, pour a bit of water into your juicer to get the last bits of goodness out, and dilute the end product.
Beet.jpg

6. The Iron Maiden Juice
This juice is ideal for women who might feel weak or depleted after menstruating or giving birth.
2 large beets, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, trimmed
1 small apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
a handful of spinach
1/4 cup of water
Juice all of the ingredients in order, ending with a bit of water. This is an iron-rich, replenishing tonic that’s also a liver cleanser.

Source:

7. Strawberry Fields Forever Smoothie
1 cup strawberries
1/2 a frozen banana, sliced
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
Puree all of the ingredients in your blender, and adjust sweetener to taste (if desired).

8. Peachy Keen Smoothie
1 large peach, pitted, peeled, and sliced
1/2 cup red strawberries or raspberries
1/2 cup peach or berry low-fat yoghurt
1/4 cup milk (dairy or non)
Puree all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve cold, and enjoy.

9. Vitamin C Booster Shot Juice
1 cup blackberries
1 cup currants (any colour)
1 orange, peeled and divided
1 tangerine, peeled and divided
1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
Juice all of the ingredients, and serve immediately.
Green.jpg

Source: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/20-juice-and-smoothie-recipes-for-energy-and-vitality.html

Do you guys have recipes that do not require a lot of ingredients? I am pretty bad at combining fruits or vegetables and what have you that is why I am cautious about putting more of them in the blender. Is there a simple concoction if I may call it that so that it is easier to remember and pull off without it having to taste like ****?

Keyan said:
Do you guys have recipes that do not require a lot of ingredients?

I have a recipe for Honey Mead with some fruit to cover the taste of fermentation with bread yeast. :D

But some cyclists reported occasional loss of balance, epidermis bleeding and increased drunk talking. :D

Something real simple

Frozen bannana
milk
Protein powder (Chocolate for me)
Chia seeds (Have them soak in the milk for 30 minutes or more. I have them soak before I go on a ride)
A scoop of caramel or whatever ice cream you like
Some oatmeal (as much as you want)
Vanilla or plain yogurt

Takes 1 minute to prepare (assuming you had the seeds soaking)

1 minute to blend

Thanks, those seem like some really awesome recipes and I've made a point of adding them into my notebook. There's nothing better than I nice, cold and fresh smoothie after being on the road. Or even better yet, grab a smoothie when you hit the road which makes the experience so much better. I wish I could come up with an original smoothie recipe but it doesn't seem to be one of my strong points unfortunately.

@Mengtian Thank you for sharing this smoothie recipe with us, does it taste well? Is it a good source of energy? ;-)

Look at all of these great shakes I will have to try some of these out. The green one looks good. It's just so much easier when this kind of stuff is made and you just buy it. It is time consuming to do this at home and clean it up. You guys are making want to do this though.