SMP Saddles - anyone riding one

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by roubaixjoe, Dec 11, 2009.

1. roubaixjoe

roubaixjoe New Member

I really like the design of the SMP saddles with the beak nose and the curved shape, really looks like ones "butt" would sit good "in" it versus "on" it. They have several models varying in widths and price and padding of course. I know advertising dollars play a large part in what the Pros actually ride but I've yet to see an SMP on a bike. Cost is probably a factor, but looking for a true rider that either loves or hates it.....

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

SMP has a test ride program. Have a bike shop locally that call GianLuca and ask? Albabici.com

3. cjj14u

cjj14u New Member

I had one and found that it was a terrible fit for me.....

4. Farmguy

Farmguy New Member

1 1/2 years in on a SMP and I love it, I mounted one on my bike and rode a trainer in a LBS for 30-40 mins then bought one. My buddy hates it, calls it the worst torture device known to man.......:confused: Different butts I guess.

5. grahamspringett

grahamspringett New Member

Here in Wagga at least half a dozen people swear by them, with at least one saying it's the best saddle he's ever used.

But your butt may be a different shape.

6. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

coming from a guy who was in the exact same boat as you here is my thoughts...

-I too like the design of the SMP. The problem I found with the SMP is that there are several different sizes and options making your decision even more difficult.
    Here is a link that helped me see the difference between them all....
    Albabici - US distributor and agent for Selle SMP Saddles
    -I didnt have a LBS that did the SMP program, and only found 1 shop in a reasonable driving distance that stocked 1 or 2 of them. If a shop were to order one for me, I was told they couldnt exchange it out for a different one if I didn't like it since the demand for them is so far and few between.
    -I spent close to 3 solid weeks researching saddles and asking questions to everyone and everyone I could. All that research I did gave me the same answer...."I can't tell you, you have to try it for yourself since each person will have a different opinion." I found this saddle process to be VERY frustrating because there are SO many options it is difficult to know where to begin.
    -I was able to test 2 different SMP's and I gotta say that they both felt like I was sitting on 2 rulers on there sides. The edge of the center channel seems to be fairly ridged and I felt it to be uncomfortable (for me).

I wanted a saddle with the "love channel" giving me better blood flow and less pressure to my peranial region. I gave up researching the SMP and ended up buying the Selle Italia flite (not the max) which is a 131mm width. I bought it in black so if I didn't like it my LBS said they would be able to replace it. I rode it for a week and realized it was to narrow for my sit bones. Exchanged it for the Selle italia Max Flite Gell flow which is a 150mm. I thought that was an extreme difference from the 131 I thought I would fit but it has been SO comfortable. I feel I made the right choice as I couldn't be happier with my saddle. PLUS I saved myself a good $100+! Check out the Selle italia Max flite gel flow saddle for a similar saddle but IMO more comfortable as well as affordable.

7. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Had one for about 3 rides and sold it. Couldn't get comfortable on it. It was the Composite so it had very little padding, but the fit was wrong. On the other hand I just switched from a San Marco Contour-which I really liked, to a specialized Team toupe. The toupe is fantantic.

8. Rockslayer

Rockslayer New Member

I've had mine (stratos) for over a year now, bought it over the phone the distributer / shop allowed me two weeks to try and return for another one in the range as there are different levels of padding for different riders. Lucky it suited me. I could have picked it up on ebay a $100 less but there's no return so i paid retail.

I think the central cut out channel makes a difference and puts less pressure downstairs but initially I noticed the sit bones felt a little more pressure to start with due to redistrubution in weight,. after a few rides it was fine.

I was using a Fizik arione its fine for 2-3 hours but the ridge digs a little after this time. I have just switched back to the Arione for a few weeks just to see the difference its still comfortable but I notice the pressure in the middle.

I will go back to the SMP as soon as I get the time to switch it.

My saddle prior to the Fizik was a Selle Italia SLR which was also nice.

9. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

saddles are a very personal thing, no doubt.

I have been riding the SMP evolution for the last 6 months.
    Initially it was semi-uncomfortable(mainly in terms of it having very little foam cussioning), and even the sit-bone width was a little on the narrow side.

Fast forward to now, I have come to adapt to the saddle well. The shape has always worked for me, but I think my sit bones/rear area has adapted to the saddle. The Glider model I may give a try soon, as that is a little more wider for sit bones.. could be good. Bottom line is to keep pressure off the prostate, and it has a nice shape/design to it. As with all quality saddles: "made in Italy":)

10. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

which is SOO nice once you experience first hand. Like I said before, I wanted the SMP badly but after sitting on a couple I realized I simply wanted to be comfortable when i rode because ultimately it meant I could ride longer. Since I knew I liked the shape so much and idea of the center cut out I looked for similar saddles. I bought the specialized toupe and returned it in a week as the pressure was relieved but didn't have much for padding. Next bought the Flite Regular which is a 131mm, liked the padding and the center cut out but it was too narrow so I returned it for the max flite gel flow (150mm) and couldn't be happier. The thing I kept thinking was I am 5'10" athletic lean build at 170lbs. (waist size 32) so I kept thinking that going to a 150mm didn't make sense since I am not a big or wider guy. Then realized that it had nothing to do with the width of my hips but more importantly where my sit bones sat on the seat. Dont think that just because you need a wider saddle means you are not or can't be a serious cyclist. Get what is comfortable for you and what works for your body.

11. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Nice.

Yes, I still use (and works for me) , a Selle Italia Flite Trans-Am(center cut out for some prostate relief) gel-flow w/ Ti. rails. Great saddle, solid build, and nice shape for the sit-bones