Snap, Crackle, Pop under heavy load



jsull14

New Member
Nov 26, 2005
244
2
0
When I'm climbing steep grades and putting huge stress on the chain etc., I hear a popping noise with each pedal revolution. It's not a steady noise so I don't think it's the chain rubbing on the front derailer.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm sure it's happened to others. It feels like the chain is about to snap or something. It's even a little embarrassing riding past people with my bike making so much noise. Other riders seem to have quieter bikes.

I ride a 2006 Specialized Roubaix with 105 triple.

Thanks a lot
 

bobbyOCR

New Member
Aug 31, 2005
1,357
0
0
32
jsull14 said:
When I'm climbing steep grades and putting huge stress on the chain etc., I hear a popping noise with each pedal revolution. It's not a steady noise so I don't think it's the chain rubbing on the front derailer.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm sure it's happened to others. It feels like the chain is about to snap or something. It's even a little embarrassing riding past people with my bike making so much noise. Other riders seem to have quieter bikes.

I ride a 2006 Specialized Roubaix with 105 triple.

Thanks a lot
my bike recently started making a cracking noise with each pedal revolution. It turned out to be the pedal. If you hold the bike and try to bend the pedal away from the crank so the axle is horizontal but the pedal is flexing the axle, and hear a little crack, its the pedals. You may need to see your LBS to see if the bearing needs replacing or reseating.
 

John M

New Member
Jun 21, 2005
1,404
0
0
jsull14 said:
When I'm climbing steep grades and putting huge stress on the chain etc., I hear a popping noise with each pedal revolution. It's not a steady noise so I don't think it's the chain rubbing on the front derailer.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm sure it's happened to others. It feels like the chain is about to snap or something. It's even a little embarrassing riding past people with my bike making so much noise. Other riders seem to have quieter bikes.

I ride a 2006 Specialized Roubaix with 105 triple.

Thanks a lot
Check your chainring bolts. One may be loose. I also agree that the pedal is a suspect as well. BB is another possibility as is the FD clamp. But if it is at the same point in the pedal revolution, I would still go for the chainring bolt.
 

lks

New Member
Jul 29, 2006
235
0
0
jsull14 said:
When I'm climbing steep grades and putting huge stress on the chain etc., I hear a popping noise with each pedal revolution. It's not a steady noise so I don't think it's the chain rubbing on the front derailer.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm sure it's happened to others. It feels like the chain is about to snap or something. It's even a little embarrassing riding past people with my bike making so much noise. Other riders seem to have quieter bikes.

I ride a 2006 Specialized Roubaix with 105 triple.

Thanks a lot
If you just put a new chain on, I would suspect "chain skip" at one or more gogs or "chain suck" at the ring gear, because of worn out teeth. Did this develope slowly over time or rapidly? If rapidly, did you do anything just before it developed?
 

tyler1212

New Member
Apr 7, 2006
91
0
0
cassettes and chains wear together, if you put a new chain on a well worn cassette, it will definitely skip. If your cassette isn't that old, maybe just your favorite gear is the one worn enough to notice it on..
 

Michael Pisarri

New Member
Jun 28, 2004
73
0
0
i think it is probably the bottom bracket, it might need to be cleaned and have grease applied. I would just take it to your LBS and it should only put you back about 20 clams.
 

sooray02

New Member
Mar 15, 2004
226
0
0
38
my problem was the stem... my buddy also had the same problem with his dura-ace BB.
 

jsull14

New Member
Nov 26, 2005
244
2
0
Thanks for the replies. I had been playing with the limit screws on the FD for a few weeks because my chain was falling off and the chain was rubbing on some gear combos. I think I have that issue figured out. (I hope I did not do other damage as I'm a newbie at fixing bikes.)

I have 1800 miles on my Roubaix which I've had since January. Not sure if that's a lot or not. When I flip the bike over and look closely at the chain as I turn the pedals with my hand, I notice something funky happening when the chain is on the small ring up front. It's like the chain jolts to the left every time around. It's hard to explain. Something is not smooth though. I think I'll take it in to the LBS. Or I suppose I can try climbing walls in my 42 ring.
 

dhk2

Well-Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
2,214
74
48
75
jsull14 said:
Thanks for the replies. I had been playing with the limit screws on the FD for a few weeks because my chain was falling off and the chain was rubbing on some gear combos. I think I have that issue figured out. (I hope I did not do other damage as I'm a newbie at fixing bikes.)

I have 1800 miles on my Roubaix which I've had since January. Not sure if that's a lot or not. When I flip the bike over and look closely at the chain as I turn the pedals with my hand, I notice something funky happening when the chain is on the small ring up front. It's like the chain jolts to the left every time around. It's hard to explain. Something is not smooth though. I think I'll take it in to the LBS. Or I suppose I can try climbing walls in my 42 ring.
The chain could have a tight link, or even a defect. I had a new SRAM chain that actually "lost" a bushing last month. Recall feeling something crunch while riding, but though it was due to running through some gravel or sand. Didn't really pay any attention until I noticed a popping or knock under load.

Close inspection of the chain, turning it slowly by hand revealed the missing bushing. The LBS told me that they'd had some experience with defective quality chains, but I didn't press for a warranty claim.
 

Mountainrider

New Member
Jul 1, 2005
1
0
0
John M said:
Check your chainring bolts. One may be loose. I also agree that the pedal is a suspect as well. BB is another possibility as is the FD clamp. But if it is at the same point in the pedal revolution, I would still go for the chainring bolt.
This just happened with my Wipperman stainless chain. Half way through my ride, I noticed a slight "thump" if I was standing on the pedals. At first I thought it might be a slight rear derailler misadjustment so I played with that while I rode but it didn't help.

It turns out that a pin next to the removable link (but not the removable link) had pulled out of one of the outer plates and the link was somewhat spread open!
 

PeterF

New Member
Sep 13, 2004
983
0
0
jsull14 said:
Thanks for the replies. I had been playing with the limit screws on the FD for a few weeks because my chain was falling off and the chain was rubbing on some gear combos. I think I have that issue figured out. (I hope I did not do other damage as I'm a newbie at fixing bikes.)

I have 1800 miles on my Roubaix which I've had since January. Not sure if that's a lot or not. When I flip the bike over and look closely at the chain as I turn the pedals with my hand, I notice something funky happening when the chain is on the small ring up front. It's like the chain jolts to the left every time around. It's hard to explain. Something is not smooth though. I think I'll take it in to the LBS. Or I suppose I can try climbing walls in my 42 ring.
Climbing in the 42 will certainly make you stronger... It sounds like you're rear deraileur is skipping. It could be a worn cog, but they should last longer than 1800 miles. I would bring it to the LBS for a tune up. Cable stretch (really it's housing compression, but it has the same effect as cables stretching) is pretty common. I would say you want to have the drivetrain thouroughy cleaned and the rear derailleur limit screwes reset along with the cables tightened. Lots of slack in a triple set up, so it's important that the tension and alignment are in perfect working order.
 

tfstrum

New Member
Sep 16, 2003
323
0
0
How much do you weigh? Maybe you're flexing the frame causing the chain to rub, pedal to creak and pop. rear wheel spokes to pop...

Could be everything everyone has said. Take it to a shop and have a mechanic take a look or ride beside you.