Snapped chain.

Simon Mason

Guest
Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs. My
chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until it
snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and another my
right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum and they pushed
me again all the way home.

It cost me more than the bike repairs as I bought them both a bottle of
Balvenie whisky as a thank you to my mates :)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

> Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs.
> My chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until
> it snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and
> another my right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum
> and they pushed me again all the way home.
>
> It cost me more than the bike repairs as I bought them both a bottle of
> Balvenie whisky as a thank you to my mates :)

Be thankful you're a lightweight.

I'd be bankrupt purchasing booze for a peleton ;-)

On Feb 12, 6:15 pm, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs. My
> chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until it
> snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and another my
> right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum and they pushed
> me again all the way home.

No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

"POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Feb 12, 6:15 pm, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs.
>> My
>> chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until it
>> snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and another
>> my
>> right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum and they
>> pushed
>> me again all the way home.

> No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

You need a chain tool. The powerlink is just a luxury.

On 12 Feb, 20:12, "Nick" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You need a chain tool. The powerlink is just a luxury.

I've fixed a chain using a handy stone in the not-too-distant past.
Probably wouldn't work on those silly ultra-narrow ones that are
fashionable at the moment... but then I guess that's a tradeoff you
make if you choose to have an extra sprocket...

Cheers,
W.

In article <c8dcd1f2-09a1-41d3-af68-3ea321d34875
@q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] says...
> On 12 Feb, 20:12, "Nick" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You need a chain tool. The powerlink is just a luxury.

> I've fixed a chain using a handy stone in the not-too-distant past.

Two rocks and a bent nail you found at the roadside - traditional,
innit, like stuffing a tyre with grass. :)

"POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Feb 12, 6:15 pm, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Last Thursday four of us were on a training run at 7pm in darkest Lincs.
>> My
>> chain started to skip but my mate thought I as swinging the lead until it
>> snapped 12 miles from home. One rider pushed my left shoulder and another
>> my
>> right up the hills. I freewheeled down until I lost momentum and they
>> pushed
>> me again all the way home.

> No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

You need a *chain* to use a powerlink. Mine was somewhere in deepest North
Lincs in a verge somewhere!

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:11:20 -0000,
Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

> "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

> You need a *chain* to use a powerlink. Mine was somewhere in deepest North
> Lincs in a verge somewhere!

Ahh - so you are one of these littering cyclists that Parris wibbles on
about :)

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

>> No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

> You need a *chain* to use a powerlink. Mine was somewhere in deepest North
> Lincs in a verge somewhere!

I must admit I have lost half a powerlink in a grass verge. (They can flick
off if you let go just as you are about to join the chain)

But lossing a whole chain! That is impressive.

Nick wrote:
> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> No spare powerlinks in your saddlebag then?

>> You need a *chain* to use a powerlink. Mine was somewhere in deepest
>> North Lincs in a verge somewhere!
>>

> I must admit I have lost half a powerlink in a grass verge. (They
> can flick off if you let go just as you are about to join the chain)
>
> But lossing a whole chain! That is impressive.

I had visions of it flinging off the bike into the verge as Simon was riding
along. Anyway he would not have got a free ride home if the chain was fixed
:)

At least it's biodegradeable (slowly).

~PB