snappy brakes

stevechow

Mar 11, 2006
i would like to know what is wrong with my rear brakes. it is not as springy as it was. when i press it is hard and stiff. it does not apply when i press half. i must press fully inside for the brakes to function. is there anyone knows.

Cao,
The crazy cyclist.

stevechow said:
i would like to know what is wrong with my rear brakes. it is not as springy as it was. when i press it is hard and stiff. it does not apply when i press half. i must press fully inside for the brakes to function. is there anyone knows.

Cao,
The crazy cyclist.

I'm not sure what "fully inside" means, but there are a few things that could be causing you issues:
  1. Worn cables/housings
  2. Cables that need adjustment
  3. Brakes need cleaning/lube
  4. Cable needs lube
  5. .....

5. Scrape or sandpaper the surface of the rubber brake pads and clean the rims.

A little oil on the pads WILL make them "press fully inside" (of the squeeze-factor), dirt and water will do that too!

Don't put anything on your pads, they should be dry to work effectively OR replace them with new.

That is probably not your problem here tho, disassembling the system is good maintenance AND should restore your braking to its best. Some calipers can be taken apart easily, others its better to leave them and coax some lube into them. If you can disassemble, lightly greasing the bolts & bushings will go a long way toward keeping them operating smoothly. Also don't over-tighten the arms on reassembly.

Its always very tempting to replace just the cable and grease it up good, but new housing is definitely recommended. Many new cables/housings dont recommend greasing the cable but I have found that light grease doesnt hurt any of my Shimano and cheaper brake systems and keeps them smooth longer.

good luck

all's'miles

curby