Sneak Peak at the new Fast Freddy/Calfee Stelleto

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bentnut, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. Skip

    Skip Guest

  2. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Indeed! Last I saw him was in New Orleans,I think, maybe mid 80's. Tippitino's? Can't remember.
    Anyway, he was a hoot. "Christmas at Kmart", "Too Old To Disco, My Wig Fell Off", "Pissed on the
    Pentagon"? bill g

  3. Mikael wrote:

    > The fairing might be adjustable or get tweaked

    I hope so. Methinks it would be a lot more effective were the upper / trailing edge to be as close
    to horizontal as possible. More coverage at the bottom and/or sides wouldn't go amiss either.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  4. Egad. Blast from the past all right. UK music weekly "Sounds" were

    to be the Next Big Thing. They were wrong. I cannot now recall whether Sounds outlived Mr. Slim (d.
    1993), but neither is a going concern any more.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. "Dave Larrington" skrev...
    > I hope so. Methinks it would be a lot more effective were the upper / trailing edge to be as close
    > to horizontal as possible. More coverage at the bottom and/or sides wouldn't go amiss either.

    More coverage at the sides gets you foot/fairing interference in tight turns though if you add it at
    the bottom of the fairing. (see fairing on my TE-clone) Made a few cracks in the gelcoate while
    getting used to it.

    Mikael

  6. Root Boy Slim reminded me of the early FUGS

  7. Mikael wrote:

    > More coverage at the sides gets you foot/fairing interference in tight turns though if you add it
    > at the bottom of the fairing.

    Of course. It turns with the handlebars. Duh! Silly Mr Larrington

    (dies)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  8. Josh;

    Just saw your latest pair of diatribes against this bike.

    I don't know what your agenda is, but man, are you being harsh.

    Can you say PROTOTYPE???

    Can you say ADJUSTMENT??

    The seat design is not finalized. There are photos of the bike with two different seats, both ER
    seats. Both are adjustable at least for tilt. The final seat may well be different from either.

    You go on at some length about how lousy the fairing design is and how you're forced to look through
    it. Why would that be? Why would it not be adjustable?

    Did it occur to you that the guy sitting on the bike is NOT the guy the bike is set up for?

    Did it occur to you that the bike might be available in different sizes to accomodate
    different riders?

    Did it occur to you that the angle of the photos and the wide-angle lens used is distorting
    the images somewhat, so you're not even getting a representative look at the overall
    proprotions of the bike?

    You're making some heavy-handed judgments based on a few photos of a bike that isn't even going to
    be the one that turns up in dealer showrooms. With all due respect, why don't you visit a dealer and
    take a look a the real deal when it comes out before trashing the whole concept?

    From the tone of your posts I suspect you will have made your mind up about the bike without ever
    having seen it. That's your right. Personally, I've got an open mind.

    You're entitled to your opinion, of course, whatever it might be.

    Andy Douglas

  9. Bite Me That bent will NOT show up in a Dealer Showroom and if it did, they will use it to prop open
    the door.....it is a Lemon.

    I don't think you are seeing that THIS bent is NOT designed to be something to replace a BikeE with.
    **The Calfee is being aimed at the Competative Cyclist level, something destined to get a Sock and
    be ridden on a track. **But even as a Competition Bent...it needs a lot of work yet.

    To make the Calfee into a GRR style (Street Bent) would mean removing most of what is in the pics.
    **WHAT might survive into a Street GRR style bent is the Steering system and the Carbon fork. **The
    fairing needs lots of work yet and at some point someone will realize a Lexan Windwrap will work
    just as well....for a street version.

    A Competition bent is NOT normally designed with comfort in mind and so the Calfee has ignored the
    comfort and stuck with a Boxy, short frame at minimal weight. **IF the Calfee design DID come out in
    a Street Version for $3K (without major design changes)....it would DIE in a Dealer Showroom.

    My whole point was that As a Prototype of a Competition bent...it needs work, but it has a
    chance with that Steering setup. As a prototype of a STREET Version...the overall design really
    really sucks.

    What will most likely happen is this: Calfee will refine this design and put it up for sale as a
    Competition Bent. Calfee will Sell/License the Steering design and maybe the Carbon fork design to
    another company..i.e. let Gardner Martin add it to a new TE or GRR.

    BUT I doubt Calfee ever intended to produce a Street Version bent...based on the Prototype in the
    pics. ****************SO THERE******************** "Andrew Douglas" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > Josh;
    >
    > Just saw your latest pair of diatribes against this bike.
    >
    > I don't know what your agenda is, but man, are you being harsh.
    >
    > Can you say PROTOTYPE???
    >
    > Can you say ADJUSTMENT??
    >
    > The seat design is not finalized. There are photos of the bike with two different seats, both ER
    > seats. Both are adjustable at least for tilt. The final seat may well be different from either.
    >
    > You go on at some length about how lousy the fairing design is and how you're forced to look
    > through it. Why would that be? Why would it not be adjustable?
    >
    > Did it occur to you that the guy sitting on the bike is NOT the guy the bike is set up for?
    >
    > Did it occur to you that the bike might be available in different sizes to accomodate
    > different riders?
    >
    > Did it occur to you that the angle of the photos and the wide-angle lens used is distorting the
    > images somewhat, so you're not even getting a representative look at the overall proprotions of
    > the bike?
    >
    > You're making some heavy-handed judgments based on a few photos of a bike that isn't even going to
    > be the one that turns up in dealer showrooms. With all due respect, why don't you visit a dealer
    > and take a look a the real deal when it comes out before trashing the whole concept?
    >
    > From the tone of your posts I suspect you will have made your mind up about the bike without ever
    > having seen it. That's your right. Personally, I've got an open mind.
    >
    > You're entitled to your opinion, of course, whatever it might be.
    >
    > Andy Douglas

  10. Oh I forgot to add something.

    Your point that in the final version...the bent may be Longer, it won't be. This bent is going to be
    this current length in the final version...kinda has to be for it to be a Track bent.

    2nd...Yeah, I was aware that the final Pilot may not be the guy shown in the photo (a real no
    brainer there). BUT as a Track Use bent it won't matter if the Pilot is 5.4 or 6.4...the bent length
    will NOT be changed to suit the Pilot.

    3rd...the seat WILL be changed (it has to be), the seats in the pics are not going to end up in the
    final version, something in Carbon Fiber most likely.

    4th...the seat angle will be adjusted...NOPE, if that happens you can kiss the fairing
    angle goodbye.

    5th...the fairing can be adjusted...NOPE, well a bit of tinkering needs to be done for track use.

    I was a bit surprised the bent lacked Wheel Discs.
    "Andrew Douglas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Josh;
    >
    > Just saw your latest pair of diatribes against this bike.
    >
    > I don't know what your agenda is, but man, are you being harsh.
    >
    > Can you say PROTOTYPE???
    >
    > Can you say ADJUSTMENT??
    >
    > The seat design is not finalized. There are photos of the bike with two different seats, both ER
    > seats. Both are adjustable at least for tilt. The final seat may well be different from either.
    >
    > You go on at some length about how lousy the fairing design is and how you're forced to look
    > through it. Why would that be? Why would it not be adjustable?
    >
    > Did it occur to you that the guy sitting on the bike is NOT the guy the bike is set up for?
    >
    > Did it occur to you that the bike might be available in different sizes to accomodate
    > different riders?
    >
    > Did it occur to you that the angle of the photos and the wide-angle lens used is distorting the
    > images somewhat, so you're not even getting a representative look at the overall proprotions of
    > the bike?
    >
    > You're making some heavy-handed judgments based on a few photos of a bike that isn't even going to
    > be the one that turns up in dealer showrooms. With all due respect, why don't you visit a dealer
    > and take a look a the real deal when it comes out before trashing the whole concept?
    >
    > From the tone of your posts I suspect you will have made your mind up about the bike without ever
    > having seen it. That's your right. Personally, I've got an open mind.
    >
    > You're entitled to your opinion, of course, whatever it might be.
    >
    > Andy Douglas

  11. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Root Boy Slim reminded me of the early FUGS

    ... as opposed to the *early* FUGS?? I think they were only around for a few years and their
    recordings don't show much evolution, IMO.

    now seems to be an appropriate time to mention the immortal Bonzo Dog Band. anyone know if Viv
    Stanshal is still oot and aboot?

    rich

  12. It was Bonzo Dog (Doo Dah) Band...I had their dble album.
    "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Root Boy Slim reminded me of the early FUGS
    >
    > ... as opposed to the *early* FUGS?? I think they were only around for a few years and their
    > recordings don't show much evolution, IMO.
    >
    > now seems to be an appropriate time to mention the immortal Bonzo Dog
    Band.
    > anyone know if Viv Stanshal is still oot and aboot?
    >
    > rich

  13. Rich Westerman:

    They reformed in the mid-80s and are still at it - http://www.thefugs.com/.

    > now seems to be an appropriate time to mention the immortal Bonzo Dog Band. anyone know if Viv
    > Stanshal is still oot and aboot?

    Alas not, the great Stanshall dies in a house fire in 1995. "Ginger Geezer" by Chris Welch and
    Lucian Randall is essential reading.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  14. Skip....they are being Powder Coated this weekend. My framebuilder had some family issues that kept
    him out of his workshop since before xmas and him being one of the best builders on the planet...I
    did not want to go shopping for someone else. My Website will (hopefully) be up by next week and the
    pics will be posted there.
    --------
    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What trikes? Show us the trikes!
    >
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > Guess I won't be seeing you on one of my Trikes any time soon eh!
    > >
    > > "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:[email protected]t...

    > and
    > > criticism...would
    > sandbox.
    > > >
    > > > Here are some things you said about the Stiletto:
    > > >
    > > > "The pedals are way too close to the pilot.."
    > > >
    > > > "the front Hub is massive"
    > > >
    > > > "the backrest is too vertical to be comfortable"
    > > >
    > > > "..fairing that allows you to plough into the back of a Greyhound Bus that you cannot see in
    > > > front of you UNLESS you are sitting in a position equal to that of a MTB."
    > > >
    > > > "bad fairing design, real bad seat design, BB too high and too close to the seat, pilot would
    > > > be too jammed in if he/she was over
    > > > 5.10 inches, handlebars too upfront and high to be comfortable for long rides,"
    > > >
    > > > "needs more length (stretch it back a tad) to get rid of the Boxy look"
    > > >
    > > > "front Hub diameter looks too large for a narrow 451 wheel"
    > > >
    > > > "That bent will NOT show up in a Dealer Showroom and if it did, they will use it to prop open
    > > > the door.....it is a Lemon."
    > > >

    > > > How can you defend any of these statements as a healthy and reasonable criticism? The BB
    > > > height and seat angle appear identical to the GRR which is generally recognized as a well
    > > > designed bike, so your comments about the seat and seat/BB distance are clearly invalid. The
    > > > hub is a Phil Wood which appears to be widely recognized as one of the best hubs available.
    > > > The effectiveness of the fairing is impossible to judge from the photos. You are using a very
    > > > skewed definition of the provocative word "lemon." I don't see anything reasonable or
    > > > "healthy" about your comments.
    > > >
    > > > All we know about you is that you are planning to design and market a trike. Fast Freddy is a
    > > > long time Easy Racers employee and a holder of multiple world speed records. Guess whose words
    > > > carry more weight?
    > > >

    > > > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  15. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What trikes? Show us the trikes!
    Yo Josh! Show me the trike. What ever happened to your web page you were crowing about. Bill

  16. Skip

    Skip Guest

    Cool. I'll wait quietly.

    Skip

    news:j%[email protected]...
    > Skip....they are being Powder Coated this weekend. My framebuilder had
    some
    > family issues that kept him out of his workshop since before xmas and him being one of the best
    > builders on the planet...I did not want to go
    shopping
    > for someone else. My Website will (hopefully) be up by next week and the pics will be
    > posted there.
    > --------
    > "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > What trikes? Show us the trikes!
    > >
    > > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > > Guess I won't be seeing you on one of my Trikes any time soon eh!

    > > > "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > news:[email protected]t...

    > > and
    > > > criticism...would
    > > sandbox.

    Bus

    over

    The
    "healthy"

  17. Bill The web designer is lost in space again. They decided to remove the Flash and then remove the
    music (music not my idea btw). Then he could not get the color Green to work...the trees keep coming
    out blue. He wanted snow capped mountains and I had spent 3 months trying to convince him that there
    was no need for an arial shot of the Rockies...the guy drives a Mtb. They keep assuring me that the
    site will be up next week....better be stellar since they've been at it 26 weeks.

    I am NOT paying for the site btw, it is being done by a design team that (unlike some folks on this
    NG) like what I am doing.
    ----------
    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > What trikes? Show us the trikes!
    > Yo Josh! Show me the trike. What ever happened to your web page you were crowing about. Bill

  18. Sorry you feel this way Edward

    I would like to point out THAT Fast Freddy decided to threaten me via 2 Off List Emails, I was NOT
    attacking Fast Freddy in this NG (originally), I was just stating my Opinions on his Prototype. IT
    was Fast Freddy who made the mistake of taking a shot at me (outside this NG) and it was Fast
    Freddy who went looking at ways to Piss Me Off. BTW what Fast Freddy did has NOT Pissed Me
    Off...annoyed me a bit, has most definately made me feel sorry for him and the for the people he
    associates with, but Pissed Off (not even close). No one here has ever seen me when I am Pissed
    Off...it ain't pretty folks.

    *I "still" don't see why everyone is getting sooo twisted out of shape over this.

    *Gabriel posted some pics of a Calfee "Prototype" and invited comments about the design.

    *Gabriel did NOT say he ONLY wanted to hear good things and ONLY praise of the design....although I
    have no doubt that Gabe was ONLY expecting warm praise from everyone here and THEN he totally lost
    it and went illiterate yesturday dumping on me in this NG.

    (BTW GABE)....I assume your English skills are fine and that your emotional state was such that you
    wrote fast and hard without paying attention to your spelling...and you forgot to use your Spell
    Checker. I too sometimes do a Rant in a hurry and make a few spelling errors....not as many as you
    did, but perhaps you are more emotionally charged than I am when you write.

    *When I pointed out that IMHO the Prototype "sucked" and was crying out for a major
    overhaul...(almost) everyone went critical of me.

    *Then I get 2 really Vile Emails off this NG from Freddy Markham (because) I was critical of HIS
    design. I WAS NOT running down Fast Freddy...(to be honest here, I thought Fast Freddy died a couple
    of years ago).

    *As for my being in awe of Fast Freddy for his HPV Speed records...yawn, sorry Edward but Speed
    Records do NOT impress me one iode. I am not a Racing groupie and I prefer to hang with people who
    use their brains to accomplish greatness. Last time I saw a Hockey Game was 1967, last Baseball game
    was 1963, last Golf game 1964 and I did play Football and Lacrosse till 1967...I never bothered to
    follow the sports after 67.

    *Sorry but for someone to base his entire reputation upon how fast he could pedal a bicycle decades
    ago....what can I say beyond how sad.

    >Perhaps my definition of "Prototype" is different from what everyone
    understands the word to mean.
    >Gabriel puts up some pics of a Calfee Prototype and invites comments. I assumed this was an
    >invitation for pilots in this NG to offer suggestions
    and comments about the bent...about how we see it, what design flaws we see, what could be done to
    improve the overall design, suggest ways to tweak the design to make it more commercially viable.

    *I saw "flaws" in the design and I suggested the design needed work...lots of work.

    *IMHO the Prototype (would be a Lemon) IF, it was NOT overhauled and THAT ticked some people off to
    no end, but I fail to see why it should.

    *I go to Trade Shows where inventors and new startups are showing their latest projects to people
    within the Trade, they invite comments, they WANT people to go (beyond)...WOW what a nice bike and
    walk away....because when this happens, the whole point in showing the Prototype is lost.

    > How valuable would it have been to Calfee had everyone in this NG wrote
    in...Oh Yeah Gabe, a really great design in it's current configuration and THEN the bent goes into
    production (as is) and no one buys it. THEN Calfee discovers that everyone in this NG said it was
    a great design SOLELY because everyone was in love with Fast Freddy and NO ONE dared be HONEST or
    critical of the bent, because it was designed by a HPV Legend everyone respects.....duh.

    ***I am NOT a LEMMING, I do not follow the Herd simply because it is the thing to do AND I am
    getting nailed for this?...Oh Pleeez, like I care if an entire NG hates me because I have the Balls
    to express an Opinion outside of the Herd.

    *I choose to operate my life in a fashion that makes me feel good about myself. ------What happens
    if no one "dared" to take a critical look at the Calfee Prototype and it crashes and burns in
    production...how valuable would this be for Fast Freddy and his reputation?

    *As for MY Trikes. Well for those who actually read what I post, several months ago I wrote that my
    trikes will be sold under the title of being NQR.

    For those who missed it, NQR means Not Quite Right.

    My Trikes will be sold (begging) to be tweaked and upgraded by the buyer. I (refuse) to sell a
    prorefer I am doing it this way BECAUSE I know that I run (outside the Herd) and what Floats my Boat
    may NOT be what people want. I will NOT produce a trike that is a Clone of what someone else builds.
    I will produce a bent trike that MUST be adaptABLE to the specific needs of the buyer.

    People will NOT be riding around in a Joshua Goldberg Special that would require a month at a welder
    to alter what In My Opinion is WHAT everyone MUST ride.

    IMHO if everyone here wants to run down to their LBS and pay out $3,000. for a Calfee bent (because)
    it was designed by a HPV Speed record holder from a longtime ago....YOU don't need my blessing or my
    permission and I won't dump on you if you choose to go with the Herd.

    BTW I was NOT going out of my way to Piss On Fast Freddy or HIS design or Piss all over Gabe.

    *WHAT I was doing was offering MY Opinion of what needed to be tweaked (while STILL in the Prototype
    stage), to help the Calfee bent be MORE commercially viable. IMHO the bent (current form) is a Lemon
    IF it went into production AS IS.

    Think for a second...A Prototype is a Work in Progress and NOT the final product. All I did was
    point out what "I" saw as problems with this Work in Progress...and for this I have lost the respect
    of everyone here....good grief people.

    PS It would be a drag to lose you Edward (being a fellow fan of ReBike), but if you prefer to be a
    Fast Freddy Groupie then that is fine with me...Free Country and all that.

    As I wrote earlier, I am leaving a.r.b.r. soon to do my own Moderated NG for bent trike and 2 wheel
    pilots who've opted to add Power-Assists...or those un-motorized bent pilots who are just seeking
    info on power-assists. The number of bent riders who expressed a desire to have such a NG was pretty
    high (higher than I expected). so why not eh.

    Fast Freddy has (encouraged) me via his $1,000.00 offer to remain on a.r.b.r months longer than
    I planned on staying....how can I turn my back on this man now, so I'll hang around longer than
    I intended.
    -------

    "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "to place an emphasis on certain words"...Net etiquette frowns upon the
    use
    > > of CAPITALS when over used, CAPITALS are seen as representative of anger/hostility and may end
    > > up provoking someone to offer the person a $1,000.00 to piss off....sorry couldn't resist that
    > > one, I find this
    whole
    > > thing with Gabriel and Fast Freddy so hilarious. I wonder if Gardner
    Martin

  19. Joshua Goldberg wrote:

    > As for my being in awe of Fast Freddy for his HPV Speed records...yawn, sorry Edward but Speed
    > Records do NOT impress me one iode. I am not a Racing groupie and I prefer to hang with people who
    > use their brains to accomplish greatness.

    The thing about HPV speed records, though, is they are as much a triumph of brain-work as athletic
    endeavour. One conversation with Matt Weaver, for example, would leave you, dear reader, in no doubt
    about that.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  20. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Fast Freddy is still the first guy to pedal over 65 mph in a non paced bike and his Gold Rush is in
    the Smithonean. To paraphrase a beautiful jazz song, 'you can't take that away from him'. "Dave
    Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To the best of my knowledge, though, Freddy still holds the following
    world
    > records:
    >
    > 500m, multiple rider: 64.64 mph (with Sam Whittingham) 1000m, multiple rider: 68.91 mph (with
    > Chris Springer) 1 mile, multiple rider: 68.51 mph (with Chris Springer)
    >
    > The latter two, set at Battle Mountain in 2001, have not so far permeated into the consciousness
    > of the IHPVA. Both are faster than Bearacuda
    managed
    > over 200m, but due to the way these things are done, the latter's 200m was faster than Chris and
    > Freddy managed over the 200 the previous year, as
    the