Sneak Peak at the new Fast Freddy/Calfee Stelleto

Ready, fire, aim. I hate it when that happens. That's 55 mph. "harv"
<harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Fast Freddy is still the first guy to pedal over 65 mph in a non paced
bike
> and his Gold Rush is in the Smithonean. To paraphrase a beautiful jazz
song,
> 'you can't take that away from him'. "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > To the best of my knowledge, though, Freddy still holds the following
> world
> > records:
> >
> > 500m, multiple rider: 64.64 mph (with Sam Whittingham) 1000m, multiple rider: 68.91 mph (with
> > Chris Springer) 1 mile, multiple rider: 68.51 mph (with Chris Springer)
> >
> > The latter two, set at Battle Mountain in 2001, have not so far
permeated
> > into the consciousness of the IHPVA. Both are faster than Bearacuda
> managed
> > over 200m, but due to the way these things are done, the latter's 200m
was
> > faster than Chris and Freddy managed over the 200 the previous year, as
> the
> > measured 200 m was at the *end* of the measured mile. In 2002, only
200m
> > speeds were recorded.
> >
> > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
> > Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
> > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ready, fire, aim. I hate it when that happens. That's 55 mph. "harv"
> <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Fast Freddy is still the first guy to pedal over 65 mph in a non paced
> bike
> > and his Gold Rush is in the Smithonean. To paraphrase a beautiful jazz
> song,
> > 'you can't take that away from him'.

I think you were right the first time at 65 mph. I'm thinking someone on a Lightning was the first
to do 55 mph.

Let's make that the Smithsonian, Harv. I know you are sort of a stickler for this kind of thing and
would want to have the name of our national museum correctly spelled.

Speaking of the Smithsonian I must say I was a bit disappointed by the display of the Gold Rush. Its
display seemed to be for the purpose of showing one of the uses of Kevlar and mentions Fast Freddy's
record only as an aside. It seems to me the proper place to display the Gold Rush would be around
the corner in the Museum of Transportation. There's a neat display there showing the evolution of
the bicycle. The Gold Rush would have made a perfect end of the line on that particular display. I
emailed the Smithsonian and suggested they move the Gold Rush there, but they never replied. If
anyone has been there recently please let me know if they had the good sense to take my advice.

skip

harv wrote:

> Fast Freddy is still the first guy to pedal over 65 mph in a non paced bike and his Gold Rush is
> in the Smithonean. To paraphrase a beautiful jazz song, 'you can't take that away from him'.

Markham was also the first person to exceed 50 mph under record legal conditions.

To pick a nit, the Gold Rush that exceeded 65 mph belonged to Easy Racers (Gardner and Sandra
Sims-Martin), not "Fast Freddy" Markham.

To pick a second nit, other people exceeded 50 and 65 mph on bicycles without motor pacing before
Markham did. However, they were assisted by gravity and/or wind.

Tom Sherman - Recumbent Pedant Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Looking at the IHPVA listing, it would seem that the milestones fell thuswise:

50 mph - Freddy Markham, Easy Racer 55 mph - Dave Grylls, Vector 60 mph - Peter Thron, Allegro 65
mph - Freddy Markham, Gold Rush 70 mph - Sam Whittingham, Varna 75 mph - Sam Whittingham, Varna 80
mph - Sam Whittingham, Varna

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Tom, And you were one of those people,on a hill in central IL,a faired Wave/Tailwind,going down at I
believe 45 or 50 mph. I know because I was behind you on a P-38 with my brakes on because I thought
news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, "skip" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Speaking of the Smithsonian I must say I was a bit disappointed by the display of the Gold Rush.
> Its display seemed to be for the purpose of showing one of the uses of Kevlar and mentions Fast
> Freddy's record only as an aside. It seems to me the proper place to display the Gold Rush would
> be around the corner in the Museum of Transportation. There's a neat display there showing the
> evolution of the bicycle. The Gold Rush would have made a perfect end of the line on that
> particular display. I emailed the Smithsonian and suggested they move the Gold Rush there, but
> they never replied. If anyone has been there recently please let me know if they had the good
> sense to take my advice.
>
> skip

I was in that museum a couple months ago. Most of the transportation exhibits were closed for
renovation, including the bicycle display. Also, the Material World exhibit, in which the Gold Rush
was displayed, is gone. So let's keep our fingers crossed - maybe the GR is on its way to the
renovated bicycle exhibit.

Bill Hole Rotator Pursuit BikeE E2

--
Bill Hole [email protected]

I visited the Smithsonian in May of 2002. The transportation exhibits including the bicycle display
were open when I was there. I thought I'd find the Gold Rush in the Museaum of Transportation but
instead it was in the Material World exhibit. I spent a long time looking at it and took lots of
photos. It was covered in a layer of dust and looked like it hadn't been dusted off in years.

Zach Kaplan

Bill Hole <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, "skip" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Speaking of the Smithsonian I must say I was a bit disappointed by the display of the Gold Rush.
> > Its display seemed to be for the purpose of showing one of the uses of Kevlar and mentions Fast
> > Freddy's record only as an aside. It seems to me the proper place to display the Gold Rush would
> > be around the corner in the Museum of Transportation. There's a neat display there showing the
> > evolution of the bicycle. The Gold Rush would have made a perfect end of the line on that
> > particular display. I emailed the Smithsonian and suggested they move the Gold Rush there, but
> > they never replied. If anyone has been there recently please let me know if they had the good
> > sense to take my advice.
> >
> > skip
> >

> I was in that museum a couple months ago. Most of the transportation exhibits were closed for
> renovation, including the bicycle display. Also, the Material World exhibit, in which the Gold
> Rush was displayed, is gone. So let's keep our fingers crossed - maybe the GR is on its way to the
> renovated bicycle exhibit.
>
> Bill Hole Rotator Pursuit BikeE E2

To add...

The vector is a trike so Freddy technically gets the 50, 55 and 65 milestones on a bicycle.
Regarding the Double Gold... Put 2 strapping young men in there and I'll bet it'll hit 70+mph. Note
that this bike was built by Gardner using the TLAR (That Looks About Right) theory. The Bearacuda
(correct me if I'm wrong) was design by a group of University scholars and Michael Selig (one of the
leading aerodynamycists) using the latest (at the time) computer CFD software. The Double Gold is
STILL the fastest tandem on the planet. I'll bet the Gold Rush could get close to 70mph at the
Battle Mountain track. Remember Tanya Markham hit 52mph, and I'm sure there are guys out there that
can put out more than double her power.

The Double Gold Was created by sawing a Gold Rush in half and adding a center section, and it was
faster than the single rider bike. Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if you made a long tandem
Diablo? 100mph anyone?

Gabriel DeVault wrote:

> To add...
>
> The vector is a trike so Freddy technically gets the 50, 55 and 65 milestones on a bicycle.
> Regarding the Double Gold... Put 2 strapping young men in there and I'll bet it'll hit 70+mph.
> Note that this bike was built by Gardner using the TLAR (That Looks About Right) theory....

It is reported that Georgi Georgiev used the TLAR method in designing the Varna Mephisto, Diablo and
Diablo II. As the records show, these bikes are devilishly fast. (Sorry. ;))

Gabe wrote:

> Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if you made a long tandem Diablo? 100mph anyone

Messrs. English and Whittingham were scheming a Mango/Varna crossbreed - a back-to-back tandem with
the captain in a Mango riding position and the stoker lying back inna-Varna-stylee, but alas it
seems highly unlikely that such a beastie will be built in the foreseeable future, chiz.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/