Sneak Peak at the new Fast Freddy/Calfee Stelleto

harv wrote:

> Wow! A carbon fibre Recomboni. If you're going to use CF, why duplicate a welded pipe bike?

That seems to be what Calfee does. Note the conventional bike look of the frame in the
dog's mouth ;-)

http://www.calfeedesign.com/

John Riley

What a bunch of skeptics. As if you can really judge " The pedals are way too close to the pilot,
the front Hub is massive, the backrest is too vertical to be comfortable." by looking at a photo. It
will be available in different sizes and the seat back is adjustable. The front hub is massive?
What's that supposed to mean? It's a standard bottom bracket. As to why? Weight! The prototype
weighs about 25 lbs, the production version will weigh less than that by a couple pounds. Much less
than any other LWB bent and less than most SWB bents as well. Sheesh, what is with you folks,
someone poo in your sandbox?

"bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.cyberonic.net/~gdevault/
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Gabe

Gabe I hope the bent is a Prototype for a Kids bent. The pedals are way too close to the pilot, the
front Hub is massive, the backrest is too vertical to be comfortable...the whole bent looks like a
heavy and shortened version of a RANS V2....but the fairing is nice.

"bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cheapskate :)
>

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Nice fairing and Gardner's shoes look cool too, really too bad about the bent though. Maybe if
> > it comes out at $500.00 someone might buy it....but for $500.
it

Gabriel DeVault wrote:
> What a bunch of skeptics. As if you can really judge " The pedals are way too close to the pilot,
> the front Hub is massive, the backrest is too vertical to be comfortable." by looking at a photo.
> It will be available in different sizes and the seat back is adjustable. The front hub is massive?
> What's that supposed to mean? It's a standard bottom bracket. As to why? Weight! The prototype
> weighs about 25 lbs, the production version will weigh less than that by a couple pounds. Much
> less than any other LWB bent and less than most SWB bents as well. Sheesh, what is with you folks,
> someone poo in your sandbox?
>

> "bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>http://www.cyberonic.net/~gdevault/
>>
>>Enjoy!
>>
>>Gabe

Oh yeah? Poo in my sandbox? Maybe I shouldn't tell you about "The requested URL
/~gdevault/index.htm was not found on this server." Let you add that missing "l" all by yourself.
But seriously, while that bike may not be as exotic-looking as it could be, I have a feeling it
will be very fast. And is "Stelleto" the real name for it? Or was that just a typo for
"stiletto"?

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:57:12 -0500, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Gabe I hope the bent is a Prototype for a Kids bent. The pedals are way too close to the pilot, the
>front Hub is massive, the backrest is too vertical to be comfortable...the whole bent looks like a
>heavy and shortened version of a RANS V2....but the fairing is nice.

I think that's a Pantour suspension hub in front. And the seat angle and BB position looks fine to
me - almost identical to the GRR (no surprise there).

However I don't see why they had to change the steering mechanism. Does the fairing twist when you
turn, or is there a pivot point between the fairing and the handlebar? Either way, it looks like the
indirect steering adds a lot of (possibly unnecessary) complexity.

Still, looks like a good $3000 bike to me. Same price as the GRR and a couple of pounds lighter. The
fairing looks expensive though...

Gabriel DeVault wrote:
> What a bunch of skeptics. As if you can really judge " The pedals are way too close to the pilot,
> the front Hub is massive, the backrest is too vertical to be comfortable." by looking at a photo.
> It will be available in different sizes and the seat back is adjustable. The front hub is massive?
> What's that supposed to mean? It's a standard bottom bracket. As to why? Weight! The prototype
> weighs about 25 lbs, the production version will weigh less than that by a couple pounds. Much
> less than any other LWB bent and less than most SWB bents as well. Sheesh, what is with you folks,
> someone poo in your sandbox?

I, for one, like the looks. I predict if the price is right, it will be pretty popular with the GRR
crowd. It's a prototype, so there may be a few more changes before production. For instance, build
up the BB area more and reposition the disc brake bracket, which probably means relocating the
mounts for the sprint braces. The cobra seat is dated but serviceable.

Who will be the first among us to own a socked Steletto, or Stiletto, or whatever? I would, but my
wife won't let me buy another recumbent, *yet*.

Gabe, Can you say "Sour Grapes?". I have always believed that the reason bents are not yet
mainstream is because of the curmudgeonly personalities some of thier riders ;-) Thanks for posting
the photos of the Calfee prototype. This promises to be a very successful bent if it goes into
production. It is way cool.

Here are some of my observations. I will try to sound intellegent but can't guarantee it.

1) The indirect linkage type steering is the most controversial aspect of the design. I personally
have no problem with linkage steering, but some bent experts are reviled by them. I would love to
test ride this bike to get a feel for the steering.

2) Calfee's trademark carbon fiber gusset's are not evident in the photos. I will bet there is a
story behind that.

3) With all due respect to Easy Racers, I would opt for a different seat. A Rotator Ti seat would
probably drop the weight of this bike by on pound or so. An Easy Racer Koolback or a Rans seat
would weigh more but would also appeal to a number of riders. If Calfee is smart, they will
fabricate a system that will mount different types of seats in order to let folks satify
individual tastes in the seating department.

4) I am so happy to see a carbon fiber fork on this bent. The recumbent industry generally lags far
behind upright road bike technology in this feature.

5) Interesting fairing - the composite with an integrated raised plexiglass vision bubble is
cool, but how do you manage to see the road though the plexiglass with the cloth sock in
place, may I ask?

Cheers, Derek "Gabriel DeVault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What a bunch of skeptics. As if you can really judge " The pedals are way too close to the pilot,
> the front Hub is massive, the backrest is too vertical to be comfortable." by looking at a photo.
> It will be available
in
> different sizes and the seat back is adjustable. The front hub is massive? What's that supposed to
> mean? It's a standard bottom bracket. As to why? Weight! The prototype weighs about 25 lbs, the
> production version will
weigh
> less than that by a couple pounds. Much less than any other LWB bent and less than most SWB bents
> as well. Sheesh, what is with you folks, someone poo in your sandbox?
>

> "bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.cyberonic.net/~gdevault/
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Gabe

"Joshua Goldberg" skrev...
> Nice fairing and Gardner's shoes look cool too, really too bad about the bent though. Maybe if it
> comes out at $500.00 someone might buy it....but for $500. it will need to include the fairing.

I like it. Thats the kind of bike I would be willing to part with $3000 or more for (if I had them
that is ;) ) as opposed to the Bigha/Cannondale variety. And I have no probems picturing that
fairing on my TE-clone. Do they make them in blue?

Regards Mikael

Couple answers for your intelligent questions.

1. The steering seems very natural, light and easy. Freddy did the remote thing to eliminate the
"tiller effect", it worked.

2. All Callfee prototypes are made using hand wrapped joints, as are their tandems currently. Untill
they establish a market, then they make the molds for the "lugs". This alone will probably knock
a pound off the bike, and it'll look nicer.

3. I believe different seat are being looked at.

4. Tell me about it. Still can't find carbon forks for the TE/GRR. Someone could make some cash if
they built some...

5. The new socks are zippered all the way to the front.

I can't wait to see one of these painted, Calfee's paint jobs are incredable. We will be getting
some official web stuff up soon. I'll keep ya' folks posted!

"derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Gabe, Can you say "Sour Grapes?". I have always believed that the reason bents are not yet
> mainstream is because of the curmudgeonly personalities some
of
> thier riders ;-) Thanks for posting the photos of the Calfee prototype. This promises to be a very
> successful bent if it goes into production. It is way cool.
>
> Here are some of my observations. I will try to sound intellegent but
can't
> guarantee it.
>
> 1) The indirect linkage type steering is the most controversial aspect of the design. I personally
> have no problem with linkage steering, but some bent experts are reviled by them. I would love
> to test ride this bike to get a feel for the steering.
>
> 2) Calfee's trademark carbon fiber gusset's are not evident in the
photos.
> I will bet there is a story behind that.
>
> 3) With all due respect to Easy Racers, I would opt for a different seat.
> Rotator Ti seat would probably drop the weight of this bike by on pound or so. An Easy Racer
> Koolback or a Rans seat would weigh more but would also appeal to a number of riders. If Calfee is
> smart, they will fabricate a system that will mount different types of seats in order to let folks
satify
> individual tastes in the seating department.
>
> 4) I am so happy to see a carbon fiber fork on this bent. The recumbent industry generally lags
> far behind upright road bike technology in this feature.
>
> 5) Interesting fairing - the composite with an integrated raised
plexiglass
> vision bubble is cool, but how do you manage to see the road though the plexiglass with the cloth
> sock in place, may I ask?
>
> Cheers, Derek "Gabriel DeVault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What a bunch of skeptics. As if you can really judge " The pedals are
way
> > too close to the pilot, the front Hub is massive, the backrest is too vertical to be
> > comfortable." by looking at a photo. It will be available
> in
> > different sizes and the seat back is adjustable. The front hub is
massive?
> > What's that supposed to mean? It's a standard bottom bracket. As to why? Weight! The prototype
> > weighs about 25 lbs, the production version will
> weigh
> > less than that by a couple pounds. Much less than any other LWB bent and less than most SWB
> > bents as well. Sheesh, what is with you folks,
someone
> > poo in your sandbox?
> >

> > "bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > http://www.cyberonic.net/~gdevault/
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> > >
> > > Gabe

Is it really called the "Stelleto" or is it "Stiletto?"

Nice job, and if it can be brought in at $3k (including the fairing and sock??) it's going to make a
huge dent in GRR sales. It will probably kill the Ti Rush, not that many of those are sold anyway.

I'm more of a lowracer kind of guy, but the GRR (especially with a sock) commands respect. I'd love
to try one for an extended test sometime.

Thumbs up, based on the photos.

But I have to admit, when I look at it, one word and one word only pops into my head:

CalfEasy.

Sorry, just couldn't resist!! ;-)

Andy Douglas MARS

skip wrote:
> Interesting. The first time I looked at the pictures Gardner Martin was in them. Now that I look
> at them again and only his shoes remain. As Joshua said those are some cool shoes Gardner.
>
> "bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>http://www.cyberonic.net/~gdevault/
>>
>>Enjoy!
>>
>>Gabe

I kind of missed him, too. He was my role model as a recumbent guy with an expansive beard!

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Heh Gabe it is a personal taste issue, just because I think the bent looks like something someone
who had never (seen) or built a LWB before, decided to try making one in his garage don't mean
people won't buy it. People buy lots of stuff that make me wonder what is wrong with them....then
eventually they realize the error of their ways and buy what I thought they should have bought in
the 1st place. IMHO (only) the Fairing should make it in2 limited production and what it is attached
to will need to sell in the $3K range to offset only a few being sold each year. First impressions
are often misleading, but there are some bent designs that you can FEEL are destined to be winners
with a long production life....then there is THIS bent...nice fairing though and the fairing is
ideal for pilots who really don't care that they cannot see the pothole, road debris and cute little
squirrel they are about to mow down because the fairing is not clear. It is as if the pilot is
forced to sit in such an upright sitting position in order to see the road ahead via the small
tinted windscreen section of the fairing....you lean back and you could plough into Bambi or a
something the size of a SUV. Just imagine the Liability issues surrounding a fairing that allows you
to plough into the back of a Greyhound Bus that you cannot see in front of you UNLESS you are
sitting in a position equal to that of a MTB. You can bet the farm that people will buy such a
fairing just so that they can be the 1st guy on their block to rear end a Bus. I would not want to
own stock in the Insurance company selling the Liability Insurance for that fairing. When I looked
at those pics you posted...Gardner did NOT look at all pleased. He was probably thinking....damn I'm
glad we are NOT building this.
-----------------

"Gabriel DeVault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> [...]
> > > comfortable." by looking at a photo. It will be
available
> > in
> > > different sizes and the seat back is adjustable. The front hub is
> massive?
> > > What's that supposed to mean? It's a standard bottom bracket. As to
why?
> > > Weight! The prototype weighs about 25 lbs, the production version will
> > weigh
> > > less than that by a couple pounds. Much less than any other LWB bent
and
> > > less than most SWB bents as well. Sheesh, what is with you folks,
> someone
> > > poo in your sandbox?
> > >

> > > "bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Heh Gabe it is a personal taste issue, just because I think the bent looks like something someone
> who had never (seen) or built a LWB before, decided to try making one in his garage don't mean
> people won't buy it. People buy lots of stuff that make me wonder what is wrong with them....then
> eventually they realize the error of their ways and buy what I thought they should have bought in
> the 1st place.

I used to have the same thoughts, but they don't go on to buy what I thought they should.(~: My
neighbors have this big "coffin-like" box (Thule?)they put on the roof of their mini-van to haul
stuff in. This fairing looks a lot like the lid of that box with a little windshield cut into it.

rorschandt

Because it gave people the impression that he (Gardner) had something to do with the bike. Didn't
matter how many times I said this is NOT an Easy Racers bike, people just WANT to believe there's
some sort of conspiracy or someting going on. So nothing personal to Gardner, just don't want to
give the wrong impression.

news:[email protected]...