Snot Rockets-menace or convenience?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by garage sale GT, Jan 28, 2007.

1. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

You know what I mean. Turn face to side, raise chin, plug one nostril with finger, and blow.

Some suggest they are hazardous to the health of your sinuses and cause other issues as well. I personally don't see why they should be more dangerous than blowing your nose. How about it, any informed opinions?

Tags:

2. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

Just make sure you are clear of others behind you, nothing worse than being covered in snot.

3. vio765

vio765 New Member

the best things in life are free. i LOVE riding up to a stop sign and then a car pulls up behind me. i will let a snot rocket fly and smile. i cant imagine the people in the car's reaction! "that was so discusting!!" i wont do this sort of thing during serious group rides. only when im feeling good. once in a while i will know the person in the car (im involved a lot in my local community's activities) and shoot a snot rocket. of course they wont recognize me because of the clothing....but it is so funny. if im REALLY feeling funny i will turn and look at the person with a great big smile after i let a rocket fly.

4. 9.8mps2

9.8mps2 New Member

The tough thing are launches to windward. I HATE tinsel marks snail tracks on my shirt or windbreaker . Bugs in the teeth are one thing, but stringers are not impressive at the store !

5. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

Ever seen a rider pull out to do a snot rocket and another rider follows their wheel out.

6. 9.8mps2

9.8mps2 New Member

Being slower than many , and usually riding alone I will get "stalked" sometimes . Too funny - get a fine launch off and then see the guy who has crept up on my wheel. Sorry, man -but speak the hell up !

insert snot rocket emoticon here

7. 9.8mps2

9.8mps2 New Member

And a related aside - I love watching the TV crews get tricked sometimes.
    " And Robinowitz is going - he's on the attack now, will anyone cover him...?"
    Gets a few meters out, throws the bike and whips it out . :eek: too funny every time.

8. garage sale GT

You guys are silly.

Sure, it's a laugh riot but will it cause health problems?

9. 9.8mps2

9.8mps2 New Member

potentially, but unlikely. It's the mental image that makes you cringe.
    Think of our sexual habits - we will chow down on furrburger, but freak out if a ( cooked) hair shows up in our food.
    another good reason to wear eyewear.
    my old chem proff used to say " nothing's poisionous.......if you spit fast enough.

10. ehirsch83

ehirsch83 New Member

I don't think it causes any health problems. I actually think it can help sometimes. I am congested a lot throughout this time of year from allergies, and getting on the bike is always a sure way to clear my head out. I would be in trouble though if I didn't ride alone, or I would always have to be bringing up the rear.

And to the person who made the wind comment-it can be hard!! snot streaks on the jersey, shorts, tights, jacket, is never attractive! neither is it fun when the wind blows it back on your face(I am in south fl and i ride along the beach, so the winds coming off a lot of the time are crosswinds-not fun when it comes right back at you!)

11. Farmguy

Farmguy New Member

Seems the same as blowing your nose in a hanky to me, just no tissue.

Now...for fun next time you have that guy that will only draft but never take a turn at the front..... sure fire way to test him :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

12. CSShelby

CSShelby New Member

Once I start really pumping on a ride and start to exhale out my nose (I heard you're supposed to go in the nose out the mouth, but years of swimming don't allow me to) snot pours out of my nose. I was riding by a college campus the other week and there was a pretty girl walking by........I figured I'd never see her again so I just smiled and laughed at her.

Also I ride with my cousin.........it's not uncommon for us to wipe boogers on each other while we are trading drafts. It helps us get fired up to ride harder.

13. kaikane

kaikane New Member

Yours: Menace

Mine: Convenience

14. garage sale GT

You have to wait until there's enough for blockage to form when you start to blow. Otherwise, gas escapes around the bullet and you lose a lot of velocity. The correct term is obturation. You have to wait until there is enough substance for the rocket to obturate against the barrel of your nasal passages.

15. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Humans have evolved using this method for millions of years. Can't be too much wrong with it.

A correct word is obturate but the correct context is to to cause an obturation of the nasal passage. Blockage is good.

16. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

===========================================================
    Just get it all out there....:rolleyes:
    I now remember why I like my wife to shave...and watch how she cooks:)

17. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

I used to ride with an older rider(in club group rides) who was so "cultured" he would pedantically get his hanky(yep, that's what we call them) out and blow his nose and then fold it and put it back in his jersey. It may have seemed more couth to him but it was more dangerous for him and those riding with him.

18. garage sale GT

As long as you don't get the little thick bits which curl around the opening of your nostril and around the outside, it's all good.

19. rdr0912

rdr0912 New Member

I just let loose and hope for the best. In my opinion, if you are worried about having snail marks on your shorts or jerseys, you are more worried about what you look like than you are about riding. If you have the marks it tells me that you were working your ass off and not concerned about your looks.

Related to the health question, I think the only "problem" might arise if and when you wait too long to blow and are compeltely blocked up. Kind of like when your mom said not to hold your nose when you sneeze....I don't see how you could voluntarily blow that hard, but you never know

20. dburr

dburr New Member

A couple weeks ago I was with my LBS ride and we stopped for others to catch up. Well, this hot chick lets one fly, man I must of had a grin from ear to ear. I couldn't believe what I just saw. That's my kind of girl.:D