Snot

What do you do?

• Hankey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snot Rocket

Votes: 18 100.0%

• Total voters
I have to say that as a female, I'm proud of my one finger nose blowing ability. It has definitely been a learned talent. I tried hankies, but my sinuses are so active, that it was just too much hassle. I do try to limit my blowing until I'm at the back of the pack though :)

I'm a hanky person, though about the only one in the bunch who does. Sleeves are handy in winter. I/m not too clever with the one finger over the nostril method...end up wearing it.

After several unsuccessful snot rockets - the rocket crashed on takeoff, very messy - I have discovered the solution!

I use a couple of large wristbands that tennis players use to absorb sweat, the ones that are about four inches long. They absorb a lot of snot, and can be rotated from time to time for more snot absorbancy. Sure beats the precarious removal of a hanky from the back pocket while riding at speed, and much better than an aborted snot rocket.

I usually purge at a stoplight or at the back end of a rotation in a pace line. This eliminates the collateral damage issue. If I had to go reaching around for a tissue or something, I’d probably end up in the ditch. On a cold day, I’d use up a handkerchief in no time.

I’ve also heard it called a farmer sneeze. When bailing hay, one doesn’t have a lot of time to clear the schnozzola of all the dust generated by the equipment. You have to keep moving to keep up with the bailer and stack the wagon.

Originally posted by DurangoKid
I usually purge at a stoplight or at the back end of a rotation in a pace line. This eliminates the collateral damage issue. If I had to go reaching around for a tissue or something, I’d probably end up in the ditch. On a cold day, I’d use up a handkerchief in no time.

I’ve also heard it called a farmer sneeze. When bailing hay, one doesn’t have a lot of time to clear the schnozzola of all the dust generated by the equipment. You have to keep moving to keep up with the bailer and stack the wagon.
Double Barrel method: advantages- takes less time, no collateral damage. disadvantages-causes ears to pop sometimes, snot moustache.

out

Where I come from it is called the farmers blow. I hope all you drippy wiping glove guys actually wash your gloves every now and again.

I prefer the Farmer Blow as well because my bike is one of the few places I can get away with it. I find it...liberating.

I encourage those I ride with to use the hanky method please - I have been showered with too much collateral DNA from riders with so called good aim. I've had to stop and clean my glasses at times. Don't want to think of how much I ended up consuming. Yech.

I was in a 5k running race one time. There was this little guy, maybe 5'5", who was coming up on my right, but I didn't see him, as I am 6'4". I had a big wad of goo in my right nostril, so I did the old snot rocket technique right as he started his pass on me....hit him with in the left temple. I was laughing so hard I had to stop....heh

Originally posted by Osiris
I was in a 5k running race one time. There was this little guy, maybe 5'5", who was coming up on my right, but I didn't see him, as I am 6'4". I had a big wad of goo in my right nostril, so I did the old snot rocket technique right as he started his pass on me....hit him with in the left temple. I was laughing so hard I had to stop....heh

Yeah, looking back it was kind of funny. I wasn't laughing about it at the time though.

The snot rocket followed by wiping the residue that hangs off the nostrils after a launch on the soft section of gloves.

While watching a mountainbike race the other weekend one vantage point I chose was at the perfect place to observe that around 80% of the riders chose to blow a snot rocket at just that point.

(It was also pleasing to note how many of them chose the next 50m stretch to stretch their backs and legs as well! I'd been worried that I was being a wuss when I'd been doing the same thing on that stretch earlier ;-) )

Farmer blow works for me. I must say this thread is rather informative. I had no idea there were so many phrases for cleaning out the nasal passages sans tissue/cloth. ;-)

Great thread! Laughed my butt off. I definately vote for the Snot-Rocket...but I have the tendency to hit my legs on occation...not pretty.

Great thread! Snot rocket all the way. I've really developed my skills in this area. I'll either do a single barrel out either side or just go for a double barrel over one shoulder. Toting a snotty hanky around doesn't appeal to me. Snot is biodegradalbe isn't it?

Snot Rocket all the way!

I almost forgot that I was driving in my car once and nearly fired one onto my center council. :eek:

Osiris said:

So, you're saying that although you are 6'4", a 5'5" guy was PASSING you??
Poetic justice slowpoke!

Anywho - I've always called it a "Hillbilly Hanky" - Squeeze off a nostril and blow!
Got the habit from playing hockey, where it just hits the ice and (presumably) freezes.

I always *try* to be sure no "civilians" (i.e.: non-riders) are looking, but I've been caught off guard a couple times!
After the initial brief moment of embarrasment, I justify the act in my mind with the realization that "at least I'm exercising!".

I recently had a cool encounter -
Cruising down a 2-way / 4-lane road; A redneck in a Chevy Blazer comes by WAY too close and with full throttle ('natch...), and with the windows down while he and his skank are smoking like chimneys.
After gagging on the lingering cigarette smoke for a few blocks, I happened to come up on the guy stopped at a red light, just as I had swung into the left turn only lane behind another cage (so he was directly to my right side); A moment later we got the left turn light...
As I went by, I blew my right snot-rocket right at him through the open window... (I had saved it when I saw him stopped in traffic ahead)
He yelled and started wiping his face, and just then the oncoming traffic got the green so he couldn't chase, and I disappeared down the road!

What goes around comes around!

Sleektabby said:
Snot Rocket all the way!

I almost forgot that I was driving in my car once and nearly fired one onto my center council. :eek:

This is why I do all the pulling at the front and let you draft on our rides, honey. :rolleyes: