snotty remark

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by matabala, May 28, 2004.

  1. matabala

    matabala Guest

    What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my case, when
    road riding? Don't have any cold symptoms, feel fine, just seem to spend a
    lot of time either spitting or perfecting the one finger to the nostril and
    blow technique. Can someone clear up the mysteries of the upper respiratory
    tract?

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Nasal conchii (plural of 'conch' I hope) condition air on inspiration by
    filtering and humidification. As respiration rate rises so does the
    'wetness' of the conchii. Try some high altitude (as in zero humidity and
    potential damage to mouth breathers) mountaineering and watch your water use
    go waaay up.

    "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my case, when
    | road riding? Don't have any cold symptoms, feel fine, just seem to spend
    | lot of time either spitting or perfecting the one finger to the nostril
    and
    | blow technique. Can someone clear up the mysteries of the upper
    respiratory
    | tract?

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:41:18 +0200, "matabala" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my case, when
    >road riding? Don't have any cold symptoms, feel fine, just seem to spend a
    >lot of time either spitting or perfecting the one finger to the nostril and
    >blow technique. Can someone clear up the mysteries of the upper respiratory
    >tract?

    My olfactory is very productive, too.

    When cycling, we breathe a lot. This includes not just air, but also
    various dust and crud in the air. Even if you haven't got any hint
    of allergy, just breathing miscellaneous debris will cause your body
    to produce mucus to trap and remove the crud.

    Allergies that aren't strong enough to be noticeable under normal
    breathing would come to the forefront while riding, I'm sure; and
    where I am, it is certainly allergy season. The air is so thick with
    pollen that anything white turns yellow in a day. My poor pickup
    truck really needs to get washed...well, it's raining hard today.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my case, when
    > road riding?

    I firmly believe that this is a system designed to prevent respiratory
    illness. Germs that are caught in the sticky mucus of your nose are then
    carried out of the body. Your chance of getting a respiratory infection is
    much lower.

    Commuters are particularly fortunate in terms of the timing of their rides
    and the opportunities twice a day to clear out the system. If you are
    exposed to anything while at work, you blow it out on your way home. Lying
    in bed, it would seem more likely nasty somethings would settle in -- but
    you blow them all out on the way to work.

    This winter, I injured my back, and didn't ride my bike for five days.
    Shortly thereafter, I caught a cold -- the only one I got all season.

    It also demonstrates to me the importance of blowing out the mucus as
    opposed to snorfling it up. I carry a kerchief for collecting mucus, only
    using the seal-the-nostril method when I've forgotten it. The kerchief then
    gets laundered. The seal-the-nostril method, while handy, seems rather
    unsanitary.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:34:12 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I carry a kerchief for collecting mucus, only
    >using the seal-the-nostril method when I've forgotten it. The kerchief then
    >gets laundered. The seal-the-nostril method, while handy, seems rather
    >unsanitary.

    The kerchief that gets used repeatedly all day doesn't seem any more
    sanitary; one can wash one's hands and face at the next available
    stop with the seal-the-nostril method.

    However, when my nose begins production, it goes all-out, producing
    way too much volume for either of those methods to work well. A
    kerchief would become quickly unusable, not to mention difficult to
    carry. Seal-the-nostril gets _very_ messy with large quantities, and
    really very gross with a mustache (not a problem for you, Claire).

    A half a box of Kleenexes can clear out my nose for a few minutes,
    at that point. Seal-the-nostril (somewhere with some privacy) and a
    few wet-naps is one on-the-road method that is [barely] sufficient.

    Stupid high-capacity nose.

    I forgot to tell the OP what the solution is: Allergy or cold
    medicine. I take Claritin D before my ride if I think my nose will
    act up.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Commuters are particularly fortunate in terms of the timing of their rides
    >and the opportunities twice a day to clear out the system. If you are
    >exposed to anything while at work, you blow it out on your way home. Lying
    >in bed, it would seem more likely nasty somethings would settle in -- but
    >you blow them all out on the way to work.

    I am subject to some pretty nasty sinus issues, and on the mornings I
    wake up with the start of a sinus headache I know how it's going to
    end up. If I have a morning bike ride scheduled, it'll get better as
    I blow a HUGE amount of phlegm onto the road. If I don't have time
    for a ride, the headache will get progressively worse during the day.

    >It also demonstrates to me the importance of blowing out the mucus as
    >opposed to snorfling it up. I carry a kerchief for collecting mucus, only
    >using the seal-the-nostril method when I've forgotten it. The kerchief then
    >gets laundered. The seal-the-nostril method, while handy, seems rather
    >unsanitary.

    I've pretty much perfected the one-finger snot squeegee method. Place
    right index finger on left side of nose, press inward while sliding
    finger down toward nostril. Said finger collects contents of nose
    which can then be strategically aimed as a ballistic payload toward
    something deserving a little "nose lube".

    It's important to wipe the finger on your shorts afterward. Social
    niceties demand it.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  7. "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:34:12 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I carry a kerchief for collecting mucus, only
    > >using the seal-the-nostril method when I've forgotten it. The kerchief

    then
    > >gets laundered. The seal-the-nostril method, while handy, seems rather
    > >unsanitary.

    > The kerchief that gets used repeatedly all day doesn't seem any more
    > sanitary;

    You don't think shooting all your germy mucus on to the street is
    unsanitary? I'm concentrating mucus in a single, controlled location for
    laundering. You're spreading it far and wide.

    > However, when my nose begins production, it goes all-out, producing
    > way too much volume for either of those methods to work well. A
    > kerchief would become quickly unusable, not to mention difficult to
    > carry.

    The kerchief is tied around my neck, and is air-dried as I ride. My husband
    tucks a corner of his into the waistband of his bike shorts, which bears
    greater risk of loss. With either method, in heavy rain, it does get quite
    soggy.

    > Seal-the-nostril gets _very_ messy with large quantities, and
    > really very gross with a mustache (not a problem for you, Claire).

    If you feel seal-the-nostril is the only way to handle the river of snot you
    produce, then I suggest you still wear the kerchief. You can use it to do
    the delicate mustache wiping that follows the main evacuation on the to
    pavement. Otherwise, you'll be tempted to use that terry strip on your
    gloves. Then your gloves get even ewweyer faster.

    > I forgot to tell the OP what the solution is: Allergy or cold
    > medicine. I take Claritin D before my ride if I think my nose will
    > act up.

    If you have allergies, that's one thing. But I would not take cold medicine
    to prevent mucus production simply because of weather conditions.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  8. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "matabala" <[email protected]> writes:

    > What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my case, when
    > road riding? Don't have any cold symptoms, feel fine, just seem to spend a
    > lot of time either spitting or perfecting the one finger to the nostril and
    > blow technique. Can someone clear up the mysteries of the upper respiratory
    > tract?

    In my own experience, the effect occurs mainly during the
    first 15 minutes of riding. So I think it might have to do
    with acclimatizing -- going from an indoor environment to the
    outdoors. In warmer weather it doesn't happen as much to me.
    I've come to look forward to that early-in-the-ride nose blow
    because breathing feels so good after that.

    If your symptoms are more persistent than that it may be, as
    has been suggested, some sort of allergic reaction. Or maybe
    your lungs are bigger than mine so it takes longer to clear
    all the stale, indoor "house" air out of them.

    I wouldn't be surprised if forced-air heating exacerbates
    the effect.

    cheers,
    Tom