snotty remark

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> Maybe I'm a geek, but i carry some kleenex in my pocket, usually one
> of those little packages. Also, sometimes in cooler weather, I carry
> some bunched up in my sleeve, just at the wrist. My nose tends to run
> in cooler weather, now with the pollen it happens as well. If I get a
> chance to stop at a light, I take out the kleenex and give a good
> HONK! Ahhh. Also, one reason I carry Kleenex is for potty stops.
> T-paper isn't always available at public toilets along the route.

Geek.

Bill "and a potty-mouthed one at that!" S.

Pat wrote:
::: What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my
::: case, when road riding? Don't have any cold symptoms, feel fine,
::: just seem to spend a lot of time either spitting or perfecting the
::: one finger to the nostril and blow technique. Can someone clear up
::: the mysteries of the upper respiratory tract?
::
::
:: I found that drinking milk in the morning before a ride contributed
:: greatly to excess mucus during a ride. When I went on the Atkins
:: diet, the reduction in mucus production was startling.
::

Maybe that explains why have not had any of these "snot" issues since I've
started riding! I've been LCing over two years and started riding last
September. I can't remember the last time I drank milk....

Rick Onanian wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:45:40 GMT, "S o r n i"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> OK, you freaks are just freakin' nasty.
>>
>> Bill "snort, gather, hock works for me; very seldom forced to resort
>> to nose debris expellation (dry climate contributes perhaps?)" S.

> Routing that through your mouth isn't nasty?

I guess I get my congestion more in the throat/upper chest area than nose?
Also, I usually ride with gum wrapped around a piece of hard candy (Jolly
Rancher or fireball jawbreaker -- my dentist loves me), so maybe that helps
keep passages open somehow.

On dusty mountain bike trails -- especially on group rides -- I'm much more
likely to have to do the sideways mist expulsion. Isn't that what the terry
cloth thumbs on gloves are for?

Bill "nose knows those blows (but not in excruciating detail in mixed
company :) " S.

> :: I found that drinking milk in the morning before a ride contributed
> :: greatly to excess mucus during a ride. When I went on the Atkins
> :: diet, the reduction in mucus production was startling.
> ::
>
> Maybe that explains why have not had any of these "snot" issues since I've
> started riding! I've been LCing over two years and started riding last
> September. I can't remember the last time I drank milk....

What do you normally eat for breakfast before a ride?

Pat in TX

"matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my

case, when
> road riding? Don't have any cold symptoms, feel fine, just seem to

spend a
> lot of time either spitting or perfecting the one finger to the

nostril and
> blow technique. Can someone clear up the mysteries of the upper

respiratory
> tract?

Several answers come to mind--none of them the least bit serious:

a) Who needs a reason? Just sit back and enjoy ....

b) Turkey baster. Yup: turkey baster. That'll clear you out . . .
pronto. Pre-ride/en route . . . that's your call. If you keep the
(partially full) baster with you on the ride (mount on frame/put in
jersey pocket), you have a _reasonably_ non-aggressive way to deal
with errant motorists. Fairly good ballistics properties, too;

c) The frame-mounted bike pump. _Three_ way adapter
(Presta/Shrader/Nasal -- modify nipple from baby bottle). Suction
created on the 'pull' stroke ===> whooooo, doggie!! Now if that ain't
good for a couple of extra miles . . . .

Neil

neil0502 wrote:

> c) The frame-mounted bike pump. _Three_ way adapter
> (Presta/Shrader/Nasal -- modify nipple from baby bottle). Suction
> created on the 'pull' stroke ===> whooooo, doggie!! Now if that ain't
> good for a couple of extra miles . . .

Plus, you get self-sliming tubes that way too!

Bill "calculating rotating weight of {ewwwwwwwwww}" S.

wrote in part:
>Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I'm a geek, but i carry some kleenex in my pocket.....

>Geek.

It's not "geeky" to carry kleenex. Quit picking on Marlene. <g>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my case, when
>> road riding? Don't have any cold symptoms, feel fine, just seem to spend

> to excess mucus during a ride. When I went on the Atkins diet, the reduction
> in mucus production was startling.

I think we need a corollary to Godwin's Law: "As a r.b.m discussion
grows longer, the probability of a mention of Atkins or low-carb diets
approaches one."

(No offense to you, Pat. <g>)

"Ooh! Ooh! Name it after me!"
--
Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

=> <[email protected]> IS NO MORE: <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

On 29 May 2004 06:20:45 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:
>It's not "geeky" to carry kleenex. Quit picking on Marlene. <g>

Relax...we're all geeks here. ;)
--
Rick Onanian

Pat wrote:
::::: I found that drinking milk in the morning before a ride
::::: contributed greatly to excess mucus during a ride. When I went on
::::: the Atkins
::::: diet, the reduction in mucus production was startling.
:::::
:::
::: Maybe that explains why have not had any of these "snot" issues
::: since I've started riding! I've been LCing over two years and
::: started riding last September. I can't remember the last time I
::: drank milk....
::
:: What do you normally eat for breakfast before a ride?

I like to NOT eat before a ride...but somestimes I'll have a LC tortilla
with a peice of cheese....and 17 oz of coffee...but other times, after
having low BG problems, I'd take in some glucose tablets...but that depends
on how LC i've been over the pervious few days. This morning, I had nothing
but coffee.

Hunrobe wrote:
>> "S o r n i" [email protected]

> wrote in part:
>> Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm a geek, but i carry some kleenex in my pocket.....

>> Geek.

> It's not "geeky" to carry kleenex. Quit picking on Marlene. <g>

Geek lover!

Bill "on trails they call it 'mountain money' BTW" S.

Frederic Briere wrote:
> Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> What is the reason for producing excess amounts of mucus, in my
>>> case, when road riding? Don't have any cold symptoms, feel fine,
>>> just seem to spend

>> to excess mucus during a ride. When I went on the Atkins diet, the
>> reduction in mucus production was startling.

> I think we need a corollary to Godwin's Law: "As a r.b.m discussion
> grows longer, the probability of a mention of Atkins or low-carb diets
> approaches one."

I heard that ****** was on South Beach.

Bill "done and done" S.

"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Maybe I'm a geek, but i carry some kleenex in my pocket, usually one of
> those little packages. Also, sometimes in cooler weather, I carry some
> bunched up in my sleeve, just at the wrist. My nose tends to run in cooler
> weather, now with the pollen it happens as well. If I get a chance to stop
> at a light, I take out the kleenex and give a good HONK!

There's a story behind the reason I don't carry kleenex. I think I've told
it here before a couple of times.

I had the tissue stuffed into the cuff of my shorts. My nose had been
dripping for a while. The first chance I had to get it out was on the decent
on to the floating bridge from the Mercer Island Lid. The crosswinds on the
bridge are often pretty strong. I watched my tissue get whipped out of my
hand and merrily sail out across the water, never to be seen again.

That was when I decided to switch to blowing my nose on something attached
to my body.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

wrote in part:

>I think we need a corollary to Godwin's Law: "As a r.b.m discussion
>grows longer, the probability of a mention of Atkins or low-carb diets
>approaches one."

What I find interesting about the low carb craze and cycling is the 180 degree
turn that Atkins et al takes from more traditional sports nutrition guidelines.
Okay, some cyclists have weight issues and need to diet to lose weight. I wish
them the best of luck but I have to wonder... am I the only person in the world
that remembers the theory of "carbo loading"?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

29 May 2004 19:47:15 GMT,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

>am I the only person in the world
>that remembers the theory of "carbo loading"?

No. It was recently discussed at length while, somewhat amazingly,
remaining vaguely topical and informative.

Carbo loading is useful in conjunction with periodic carbo supplements
during the event. Runners are big on it too
--
zk

On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:34:12 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "Claire
Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The seal-the-nostril method, while handy, seems rather
> unsanitary.

so is the handkerchief. i carry tissues in a jersey pocket, and
a plastic bag to dispose of the used ones.

"Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >"S o r n i" [email protected]

> wrote in part:
> >Marlene Blanshay wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe I'm a geek, but i carry some kleenex in my pocket.....

> >Geek.

> It's not "geeky" to carry kleenex. Quit picking on Marlene. <g>
>
> Regards,
> Bob Hunt

Well, I should point out that at times I use the back of my glove and/or my
armwarmers just like anyone else.

> "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Maybe I'm a geek, but i carry some kleenex in my pocket, usually one of
> > those little packages. Also, sometimes in cooler weather, I carry some
> > bunched up in my sleeve, just at the wrist. My nose tends to run in

cooler
> > weather, now with the pollen it happens as well. If I get a chance to

stop
> > at a light, I take out the kleenex and give a good HONK!

> There's a story behind the reason I de on't carry kleenex. I think I've

told
> it here before a couple of times.
>
> I had the tissue stuffed into the cuff of my shorts. My nose had been
> dripping for a while. The first chance I had to get it out was on the

decent
> on to the floating bridge from the Mercer Island Lid. The crosswinds on

the
> bridge are often pretty strong. I watched my tissue get whipped out of my
> hand and merrily sail out across the water, never to be seen again.
>
> That was when I decided to switch to blowing my nose on something attached
> to my body.

This thread reminded me of an anecdote.
My sister was sort of seeing this guy, but then began to be less enamored of
him, due to his various personality problems, a drinking problem, etc.
However, she allowed him to stay at her place while his place was being
renovated (painted). He slept on the couch. ONe thing that bothered her
particularly was his lack of hygeine. She told me how she'd go into the
bathroom and find out that "he blows his nose without a kleenex and it lands
on the wall! GROSS!" I said, "Well, I know people who do that." She said
"Yes, on their bikes. He doesn't even have a bike." Okay, that's disgusting.
My nickname for him was "Stinkfoot." Needless to say, she doesn't see him
anymore, and in fact, he moved out of town.