Snow Biking

Steve McDonald

Guest
Now that Vancouver has been awarded the 2010 Winter Olympics, wouldn't it be good to have snow
bicycling used as their choice for an optional event? This is typically done with a ski for a front
wheel and metal cleats on the rear rim, instead of a tire. By the way, where will the snow be found
in this seaport city, that has generally mild and wet Winters? They must have some ski area picked
out way off in the mountains. They need to construct an offroad bikepath all the way there from the
city, that would have all ice and snow cleared a couple times a day, including a heat-evaporation
machine for all moisture on the surface. Whoever bicycles all the way to the events should get
half-price tickets.

Steve McDonald

Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:01:12 -0700 (PDT), <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote:

> Now that Vancouver has been awarded the 2010 Winter Olympics, wouldn't it be good to have snow
> bicycling used as their choice for an optional event? This is typically done with a ski for a
> front wheel and metal cleats on the rear rim, instead of a tire. By the way, where will the
> snow be found in this seaport city, that has generally mild and wet Winters? They must have
> some ski area picked out way off in the mountains. They need to construct an offroad bikepath
> all the way there from the city, that would have all ice and snow cleared a couple times a
> day, including a heat-evaporation machine for all moisture on the surface. Whoever bicycles
> all the way to the events should get half-price tickets.
>
>Steve McDonald

The sliding sports areas are 116 kilometer north of the city in Whistler BC, where the World Cup
skiing has been rained out.

It's 90 minutes of intensive driving on a mountain highway. Seventy five minutes in good weather
when you know the road and with no traffic, a powerful bike, skill, and luck you don't see a
mountie. It's more like two hours with normal traffic and clear roads and legal speeds. Winter
weather slows it even more.

That's unacceptable to the Olympic Family so we gotta build a new road and fix the old one and then
not be allowed to use it for the seventeen days they're in town. It is presumed we will receive
their dispensation to exercise our rights and cycle the whole distance.

There is some bicycle infrastructure planned in the bid so we've gotta make sure that it all gets
built. I'll have to look if there's going to be a bike route to Whistler.
--
zk

(Steve McDonald) wrote:

> Now that Vancouver has been awarded the 2010 Winter Olympics, wouldn't it be good to have
> snow bicycling used as their choice for an optional event? This is typically done with a ski
> for a front wheel and metal cleats on the rear rim, instead of a tire. By the way, where will
> the snow be found in this seaport city, that has generally mild and wet Winters? They must
> have some ski area picked out way off in the mountains.

Steve: As Zoot mentioned in his post, the skiing is at Whistler. But Vancouver also has the North
Shore mountains (of freeride MTB fame) about 20 minutes from downtown. Three regional ski resorts
that begin about where the North Vancouver housing tracts end.

In article <[email protected]>, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

> There is some bicycle infrastructure planned in the bid so we've gotta make sure that it all gets
> built. I'll have to look if there's going to be a bike route to Whistler.

There's a highly roundabout way of getting there via a network of abandoned logging roads, but to
attempt it in the depths of winter would be an Herculean if not suicidal task.

Basically, go up Sylvester Road, yell "Hi" to Fabs when ya see him training on there, and keep going
past the end, toward Lytton. AIUI (I haven't made the trip, myself), then head for the coast.

But I'm familiar with some of the area. Watch out for the packs of feral dogs -- note where the
climbable trees are. If it rains hard, those tranquil little creeks become raging torrents almost in
the blink of an eye. Around Davis Lake, there's a layer of shale or schist that gets really slimy &
slippery when wet.

Resist the temptation to detour and look for the Lost Slumach (gold) Mine, which so many others have
done, and have never been seen again.

cheers, Tom