Snow boots

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by sportsfan, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. sportsfan

    sportsfan Guest

    As someone who is not a regular here, I would appreciate
    a little advice. I wish to know if there is a particular make
    of boot that is good in snow. I intend to trek Kilimanjaro
    in September and need boots that will be both water proof
    and warm once on the snow line. In addition I will need
    them to comfortable as I will use them later for normal
    use.
    I have Hi Tech boots but they don't seem to be made to
    handle extended time in the snow. I will have to buy them
    off the net as I doubt there will be an agent for such boots
    here in SA. Any advice will be appreciated..
    Richard

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    sportsfan wrote:
    > As someone who is not a regular here, I would appreciate
    > a little advice. I wish to know if there is a particular make
    > of boot that is good in snow.

    Not a single thing in particular, though there's no shortage of models
    on the market that are quite able to cope with it. Look for a
    moderately stiff sole, so you can kick steps into old snow.

    > I will have to buy them
    > off the net as I doubt there will be an agent for such boots
    > here in SA.

    If you can buy them locally that is /much/ better, because you can try
    them on. The most important thing about boots is that they fit /your/
    feet, and there's more to that than a single number size. I'd be
    surprised if you couldn't get something decent in SA, because plenty of
    decent walking boots will do snow.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Jeff C

    Jeff C Guest

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:57:56 +0000, sportsfan wrote:
    > As someone who is not a regular here, I would appreciate a little
    > advice. I wish to know if there is a particular make of boot that
    > is good in snow. I intend to trek Kilimanjaro in September and need
    > boots that will be both water proof and warm once on the snow line.
    > In addition I will need them to comfortable as I will use them
    > later for normal use.
    > I have Hi Tech boots but they don't seem to be made to handle
    > extended time in the snow. I will have to buy them off the net as I
    > doubt there will be an agent for such boots here in SA. Any advice
    > will be appreciated.. Richard

    You could try:- http://www.rammountain.co.za/

    Regards Jeff.

    www.astrecks.co.uk

    If it works..............DON'T fix it
    No Virus Checker? try this free one from AVG it is very good:-http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    For a new experience in e-mail clients try:- http://www.pocomail.com/
    Kill SPAM forever! Protect your family with Spamjab from:-http://www.spamjab.com/

  4. On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:57:56 +0200, "sportsfan" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >As someone who is not a regular here, I would appreciate
    >a little advice. I wish to know if there is a particular make
    >of boot that is good in snow. I intend to trek Kilimanjaro
    >in September and need boots that will be both water proof
    >and warm once on the snow line. In addition I will need
    >them to comfortable as I will use them later for normal
    >use.
    >I have Hi Tech boots but they don't seem to be made to
    >handle extended time in the snow. I will have to buy them
    >off the net as I doubt there will be an agent for such boots
    >here in SA. Any advice will be appreciated..
    >Richard

    For Kili, if on a trekking route, you are unlikely to need boots that
    are good "in" snow - I climbed it in early Oct 2003 and there was
    literally only one spot where I was on (icy) snow for all of 2
    paces... (there is some snow up there, you just don't actually walk on
    it). It can be pretty cold though.

    Any boots of the types known (in the UK at least) as "3 season" should
    be fine; "3-4 season" boots would also do but will be heavier. True
    winter/Alpine mountaineering boots would likely be uncomfortable (ie
    hot, heavy and stiff) for" normal" walking. FWIW I wore Zamberlan
    3-season boots - but they might not suit your feet - you really do
    need to try them on

    Your HiTec boots might be OK. If you're going on an organised trip,
    try asking the organiser/tour company for advice.

    --

    John
    change xx to uk for email

  5. sportsfan

    sportsfan Guest

    "John Abramson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:57:56 +0200, "sportsfan" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >As someone who is not a regular here, I would appreciate
    > >a little advice. I wish to know if there is a particular make
    > >of boot that is good in snow. I intend to trek Kilimanjaro
    > >in September and need boots that will be both water proof
    > >and warm once on the snow line. In addition I will need
    > >them to comfortable as I will use them later for normal
    > >use.
    > >I have Hi Tech boots but they don't seem to be made to
    > >handle extended time in the snow. I will have to buy them
    > >off the net as I doubt there will be an agent for such boots
    > >here in SA. Any advice will be appreciated..
    > >Richard
    > >

    > For Kili, if on a trekking route, you are unlikely to need boots that
    > are good "in" snow - I climbed it in early Oct 2003 and there was
    > literally only one spot where I was on (icy) snow for all of 2
    > paces... (there is some snow up there, you just don't actually walk on
    > it). It can be pretty cold though.
    >
    > Any boots of the types known (in the UK at least) as "3 season" should
    > be fine; "3-4 season" boots would also do but will be heavier. True
    > winter/Alpine mountaineering boots would likely be uncomfortable (ie
    > hot, heavy and stiff) for" normal" walking. FWIW I wore Zamberlan
    > 3-season boots - but they might not suit your feet - you really do
    > need to try them on
    >
    > Your HiTec boots might be OK. If you're going on an organised trip,
    > try asking the organiser/tour company for advice.
    >
    > --
    >
    > John
    > change xx to uk for email

    Thanks for all the replies I have written to the organisers,
    I am waiting for feed back from them. But from what
    you say I won't have a problem getting a decent pair of
    3 season boots here.
    Richard.