Snow, ice, and rough weather

JSWin

Jul 13, 2015
Snow, ice, and rough weather.
I love to drive the car in weather like this. Not afraid. How about the bike? Any stories, tips, dos & don’ts? I’m going to venture it cause it seems like fun.

Studs on the bike for snow & ice
STUDS.JPG

Good gear for the rider :)

I like riding in high winds. If the wind is blowing to the east, lean to the west. :D

I am lucky to live in the UK, where we don't get very much snow or ice, but when it is icy I prefer to drive than cycle, because I feel as though I am a lot safer in a car than I would be on my bike. I hate to give up cycling, but just a few days out of each year seems like a sacrifice worth making when you consider the risk that would be involved if I continued to cycle during that time.

I quite enjoy riding around in the snow and find it a great deal of fun but also very tiring. I go with my normal mountain bike with chunky tires and no special modifications and do about just fine. Ice is one to watch for though...just don't make an sudden movements that could throw you off.

Driving a car in the snow is a little bit more of a nerve-wracking experience. First time I tried it my car wheels locked up and that's sort of put me off driving in the snow since, but I am getting a little better at it.

Wind...I HATE riding in windy conditions.

I'm 50/50 on the snow biking. Cold weather doesn't bother me much, but my city doesn't exactly clear out bike paths when there's heavy snowfall so that's kinda hard to navigate. I don't actually own a car nor I aspire to drive one so I can't really say anything about driving on ice.

We are roadies. There are rules.

Rule #9 //
If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a
badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Isn't it risky to ride in a snowy road? I had experienced my first snow last January in Beijing, China. Aside from the very cold temperature that made me shiver all the time, the road seemed to be slippery maybe because of the melting snow. And when the wind blows, it felt like freezing. I don't think I can ride a bike in that kind of weather because my legs would not cooperate.

Snow, ice, and rough weather.
I love to drive the car in weather like this. Not afraid. How about the bike? Any stories, tips, dos & don’ts? I’m going to venture it cause it seems like fun.

Heh, whatever. It's your funeral pal. Have fun.

Road bikes are severely dangerous on icey roads. There is nothing you can do about that unless you, like Dave from Alaska, have a bike capable of mounting studded tires. I would not classify this as "road biking:" but everyone to their own tastes.

My experience with ice is not fun. Coasting along on relatively flat ground when you hit ice your wheels stop turning. If you manage to maintain your balance until you clear the ice there is a sudden JERK as they catch traction and begin turning again. If there are further icey patches in this area you can be in deep doo-doo.

Glare ice can be completely invisible so there's no way of avoiding it. Snow of any depth is impassible on a road bike.

I've been riding throughout the winter since 2005. Warm clothes and studded tires are a must here in Michigan. A long time ago I read that there is very little weather that can keep someone from riding, only poor equipment and clothes choices. However, I have noticed that with each passing year, my ability to tolerate the cold seems to diminish. So, starting this year, my wife and I are heading to Florida for about a month. :D

Reactions: cyclintom
Is there anyone here that would take a C40 with 23 mm tires out in snow and ice? Of course not. And a street bike that takes 40 mm 26" tires and has clearance for studs may be a street bike but it most assuredly is NOT a "road bike".

I've been riding throughout the winter since 2005. Warm clothes and studded tires are a must here in Michigan. A long time ago I read that there is very little weather that can keep someone from riding, only poor equipment and clothes choices. However, I have noticed that with each passing year, my ability to tolerate the cold seems to diminish. So, starting this year, my wife and I are heading to Florida for about a month. :D

Hah, good solution! I never had issues with cold weather, but always felt a hassle to drive in the winter. I really admired people who can ride in the snow to be frank. Getting that first ride out in the spring was always my thing.