Snow riding

JerZ Fox

Guest
I hate the thought of giving up riding in the winter. Is it possible to ride a
mountain bike in the snow? If so, any advice?

Diana B., LPN
Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness.
Poverty doesn't buy anything.

http://www.icebike.com

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:55:11 +0000, JerZ Fox wrote:

> I hate the thought of giving up riding in the winter. Is it possible to
> ride a mountain bike in the snow? If so, any advice?

I plan to wait until the roads have been plowed a bit, if there is more
than a couple inches. Riding in deep snow clogs up your wheels and brakes
pretty quickly. In icy conditions, studs make a big difference, or so I'm
told. I will try those for the first time this winter.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

"JerZ Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I hate the thought of giving up riding in the winter. Is it possible to
>ride a
> mountain bike in the snow? If so, any advice?

Another has given a good website but from my personal experience all you
really need is tires with good tread and enough saddle time that you feel
completely comfortable on the bike.

I'm thinking that if you've ridden off-road in muddy conditions you should
be fine. Studded tires are great for sheet ice and helpful for hard snow but
not necessary.

Dress warm!

--
'Kiss my curvy butt goodbye !
-homer simpson

neil0502 wrote:
> JerZ Fox wrote:
>> I hate the thought of giving up riding in the winter. Is

it possible
>> to ride a mountain bike in the snow? If so, any advice?

> http://www.icebike.com

The definitive winter cycling site is indeed icebike.com
However, there's a few tips worth noting at
http://www.bikewinter.org/
which is a Chicago-based site with Critical Mass leanings.

It's the winter cycling work that really proves the Critical
Mass people are serious about cycling, rather than just
partying and causing disruption.

--
Mike Kruger
The road to hell is now paved with PowerPoint presentations.

loki wrote:
> "JerZ Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I hate the thought of giving up riding in the winter. Is it
>> possible to ride a
>> mountain bike in the snow? If so, any advice?

> Another has given a good website but from my personal experience all
> you really need is tires with good tread and enough saddle time that
> you feel completely comfortable on the bike.
>
> I'm thinking that if you've ridden off-road in muddy conditions you
> should be fine. Studded tires are great for sheet ice and helpful for
> hard snow but not necessary.

I find they reduce the hazard of wheel grabbing ruts made by car tires. But
otherwise, you're right, and mud riding is a good analogy. If you can handle
the slipperiness there, you'll be fine on snow.

Matt O.

I "icebike" all winter... have not missed going out during each and
every snowstorm in the past 6 years.
Depending upon where you live, extra wide rims and studded tires could
be required.
I'm in connecticut and I use 44mm wide "snowcat" rims and Nokian
exterme tires with 296 carbide studs on an MTB hardtail.. I ride both
on the blacktop and on the trails... but especially enjoy riding on
frozen swamps and brooks and streams.
the icebiking web site mentioned in the other replies is the right
place to go if you are interested in winter riding.

charlieb in ct.

http://mudhounds.home.comcast.net/icebike_2003/icebiking_2003.htm

"loki" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm thinking that if you've ridden off-road in muddy conditions you should
> be fine. Studded tires are great for sheet ice and helpful for hard snow but
> not necessary.

What they said.

I've ridden through snow on my 25mm road slicks, but wide knobbies
make the ride a lot easier. A front fender to keep salt away from the
bottom bracket is advisable. Don't forget lights; the biggest part of
winter cycling in many areas will be the short days.

RFM

Fritz M wrote:

> I've ridden through snow on my 25mm road slicks, but wide knobbies
> make the ride a lot easier. A front fender to keep salt away from the
> bottom bracket is advisable. Don't forget lights; the biggest part of
> winter cycling in many areas will be the short days.

I'm not certain the wider knobbies are always better in winter.

I ride studded knobbies and they work fine. However...

There is some person who gets up a bit earlier than me for his
winter commute, who rides a thin tired bike through the snow
on the bike path. I always see his tracks when I'm on my way
in to work.

I ride the knobbies or studded knobbies, and in 3 or more inches
of snow, I'm still leaving an 'S' shaped trail behind me. The
narrow tires of my predecessor go straight as can be through the
same stuff.

I know with 4WD cars/trucks, for snow tires, the recommendation
is to get a *narrow* snow tire rather than a wide one for the
most effective winter grip. Same probably applies to bikes.

Once the snow hardens, or ices over, you're better off with the
wide knobby, but in the soft stuff, I think the narrower tire
is actually better.

SMH