Snow Riding

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by David Kunz, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    I keep reading about people here who've ridden in the snow, so I decided to give it a try yesterday.
    I'm in Maryland and we just got about 8" where I am. Still pretty dry (powder).

    Well, I couldn't even go 30' down hill! There was too much drag from the snow. How do you do it? Do
    you ride less snow, cleaner trails? I didn't try airing down my tires (first thing I would have
    tried in the Jeep :)) -- I'm not light and I really didn't want to try to fix a pinch-flat in those
    conditions!

    David

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I keep reading about people here who've ridden in the snow, so I decided to give it a try
    > yesterday. I'm in Maryland and we just got about 8" where I am. Still pretty dry (powder).
    >
    > Well, I couldn't even go 30' down hill! There was too much drag from the snow. How do you do it?
    > Do you ride less snow, cleaner trails? I didn't try airing down my tires (first thing I would have
    > tried in the Jeep :)) -- I'm not light and I really didn't want to try to fix a pinch-flat in
    > those conditions!
    >
    > David

    Ride it when its frozen and not so deep. If its too fluffy and deep you will sink in. Keeping a
    lower tire pressure helps with traction.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  3. J E E P ! ! ! ! If my jeep didn't have 4wd, it wouldn't go anywhere in the snow. except around in
    circles. "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I keep reading about people here who've ridden in the snow, so I decided to give it a try
    > yesterday. I'm in Maryland and we just got about 8" where I am. Still pretty dry (powder).
    >
    > Well, I couldn't even go 30' down hill! There was too much drag from the snow. How do you do it?
    > Do you ride less snow, cleaner trails? I didn't try airing down my tires (first thing I would have
    > tried in the Jeep :)) -- I'm not light and I really didn't want to try to fix a pinch-flat in
    > those conditions!
    >
    > David

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:42:42 GMT, David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I keep reading about people here who've ridden in the snow, so I decided to give it a try
    >yesterday. I'm in Maryland and we just got about 8" where I am. Still pretty dry (powder).
    >
    >Well, I couldn't even go 30' down hill! There was too much drag from the snow. How do you do it? Do
    >you ride less snow, cleaner trails? I didn't try airing down my tires (first thing I would have
    >tried in the Jeep :)) -- I'm not light and I really didn't want to try to fix a pinch-flat in those
    >conditions!
    >
    >David

    Wait until it compacts a little. I had plans on riding a bagged it, just a little too much. Maybe
    Friday if it doesn't rain or ice up too much.

    Where in MD do you ride?,

    :-]

  5. Martees

    Martees Guest

    "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message I had plans on riding a bagged it,
    > just a little too much. Maybe Friday if it doesn't rain or ice up too much.
    >
    > Where in MD do you ride?,
    >
    > Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    > should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    I was thinking the same thing about later in the week. In the meantime, I DO have a Jeep to play
    with..........

    Marty

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hey, I'm in MD too. I really wanted to do some snow riding this year, but between moving to the
    Eastern Shore and getting new brakes, shifters, and other things I have not had the time to finish
    installing, it looks like I may miss this snowfall.

    So...have you guys found any nice places to ride here in MD? I'm talking about the less-than-obvious
    ones, so I don't want to hear anyone talk about Patapsco :) Maybe we can trade trail beta? I'm
    desperate to find more places to ride.

    Chris

    > On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:42:42 GMT, David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I keep reading about people here who've ridden in the snow, so I decided to give it a try
    > >yesterday. I'm in Maryland and we just got about 8" where I am. Still pretty dry (powder).
    > >
    > >Well, I couldn't even go 30' down hill! There was too much drag from the snow. How do you do it?
    > >Do you ride less snow, cleaner trails? I didn't try airing down my tires (first thing I would
    > >have tried in the Jeep :)) -- I'm not light and I really didn't want to try to fix a pinch-flat
    > >in those conditions!
    > >
    > >David
    >
    > Wait until it compacts a little. I had plans on riding a bagged it, just a little too much. Maybe
    > Friday if it doesn't rain or ice up too much.
    >
    > Where in MD do you ride?,
    >
    > Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    > should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

  7. Martees

    Martees Guest

    > I'm desperate to find more places to ride.
    >
    > Chris

    Chris,

    If you're on the Eastern Shore I can't help you but if you ever get out to Central Md then we'll
    talk. I know of about a 1/2 dozen places with 5 miles of my house which have different
    characteristics and fit my needs depending on my mood (or the weather). Fire trail, horse trails,
    maintained and popular, unmaintained and "private", not to mention the P place. If you want to
    look further west there are even more places. I find a new place every couple months or expand my
    knowledge of an area I already ride.

    Marty

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:26:35 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message I had plans on riding a bagged it,
    >> just a little too much. Maybe Friday if it doesn't rain or ice up too much.
    >>
    >> Where in MD do you ride?,
    >>
    >> Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    >> should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    >> :-]
    >
    >I was thinking the same thing about later in the week. In the meantime, I DO have a Jeep to play
    >with..........
    >
    >Marty

    You may have a Jeep but I just got my TS-7 na, na, na...;-).

    Bet my Trooper can take that Jeep.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  9. Martees

    Martees Guest

    "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > Bet my Trooper can take that Jeep.

    I'll take that bet! It's a restored '81 CJ7 with 14 inches of lift with 35 inch BFG Mud Terrains.
    It's got 5,000 miles or so on the rebuild. EVERYTHING is new or rebuilt.

    Yes.... it's my other vice.

    Marty

    p.s. I put my bike on a rack on the back (to keep this on topic ;)

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:05:22 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes.... it's my other vice.
    >
    >Marty
    >
    >p.s. I put my bike on a rack on the back (to keep this on topic ;)

    Good catch on the OT. I'll keep an eye out for that Jeep shouldn't be hard to spot.

    :-]

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Do you go sleding during a snow storm or even after no you wait till its hard.

    MTB 2002

  12. Tim Burgher

    Tim Burgher Guest

    Kind of like something else pleasurable in life. Not that I would know though.

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  14. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Chris <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > Hey, I'm in MD too.
    > >
    > > Hey Mike, seems there's several people gang banging you dude.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Hehehe...No sir!

    Too good to pass up...

    > Mike - Exit only no deliveries in rear.

    Indeed.

    Shaun aRe - well, there was that time with the suppositories, AKA butt torpedoes ;-(.