snow riding

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by BimmsAndBices, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BimmsAndBices

BimmsAndBices New Member

Who else likes to ride their bike in the snow? I did it for the first time today and it was an absolute blast. I'm using a super low single speed, rear slick and no front brakes :D The trick is definately maintaining a low speed and rear traction with a coaster brake, going downhill on ice. Wow. This was on a mountain called Anderson Butte, in so. Oregon by the way, I go there a lot to use the 4WD in my car and to camp. If you live nearby I highly suggest you check it out, it's a great place for up and downhill MTB riding. Extremely beuatiful too.

Tags:

2. dot

dot New Member

I spend most weekends whether they are not too cold as today (-20 celsius again) riding in the snow. We've got long winter so to maintain shape from late november to late march you have to ride if you don't have other choices like xc skiing or running. I use the same bike I ride in summer 'cos I don't have a choice :). As for winter tires I prefer wider knobby ones with good grip, rolling resistance doesn't play much role on the snow. Real 2.2-2.35 with lower pressure is an excellent choice. It's also possible here to buy and use studded tires but I don't like them for their weight. I ride in the nearest city park (mostly flat) in the mornings when there are not many people albeit I can't call this beautiful place.

3. slbenz

slbenz New Member

Used to use studded tires on the rear and clip-on chains for the front tire on my full suspension rig. Really got a number of looks from the snowboarders to skiiers while traversing the hiking trails nearby. Now I converted my MTB frame to a ski bike using the WinterXBike conversion kit. It puts a pair of short skis in place of your wheels. You should see the looks I receive when I am on the chairlift to the lodge and on the runs. Just came back from Donner Ski Ranch in CA this weekend and did a 50+mph downhill run on their backside run. Skibiking adds another great way to put my Trek Fuel frame to use when the local weather and terrain won't cooperate without all the work for the climb.

4. woodchuck

woodchuck New Member

I Winter trail ride with studded tires (Nokian Extreme 294, highly recommended!!). I have them on an old Trek 8000. It gets a bit bumpy when the trail is icy. If the snow gets much deeper than 2-3" I don't fight it, I ride on the road or go back to x-country skiing.

5. AngoXC

AngoXC New Member

Im yet to ride in the snow (In Aus, the only resorts own the snow) but i tried putting small screws through a pair of old tyres just incase i did venture up to the lowers of a mountain...probably wont work, my tube is too constricted by electrical tape!

6. davebee

davebee New Member

wont the screws just push through and trash the tubes as soon as you put any load on them?

7. AngoXC

AngoXC New Member

Hence the electrical tape...yeah...it was a "work in progress" The screws have flat heads and the extra tape is supposed to prevent puntures....but im yet to try it as putting them onto road will almost definatly blow them! Ah well, it was worth a try.

8. elsievo

elsievo New Member

I use my Trek 6500 with studded tires for tooling around our small town. Did do a final ride on the local single track when there was about 3 inches of snow on it. Was a blast and very quiet also. I don't use my "clipless" pedals for snow riding just in case I have to bail.

Also, realize that winter riding where salt is applied to the roads will require higher maintenance on the chain and more frequent replacement.

Marc
    www.greatdeerchase.org