snow riding

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Osirisboarder, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
    clothing? thanks, ethan

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "OsirisBoarder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
    > clothing? thanks, ethan

    Keep your weight WAY back...when I ride in snow, I get horrid traction (go figure) and unless the
    back of the saddle is under my legs, not my butt. Get the bike in a real light granny gear, and be
    prepared to keep it there. The cadence should usually be kept very slow, but as steady as possible.
    Be skilled at trackstanding, and leaning in/out of skids. Be ready to clean your bike.

    Chris (has been riding in this http://www.pbase.com/image/13007144)

  3. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
    news:[email protected]...
    > "OsirisBoarder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
    > > clothing?

    Depends on the snow. Some snow crust you can ride really fast.
    http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTBruntUppsala/bilder/nastenhundslad1.jp g Lose powdery snow can
    be very difficult and you might have more fun on skis.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    OsirisBoarder wrote:
    > hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
    > clothing? thanks, ethan

    Realistically, you shouldn't even need different tyres...

    Obvious pointers: Try and waterproof your feet (plastic bags). Uphill you'll need to work really
    hard to keep traction. Keep your weight low, use a low gear and try and keep the momentum going. If
    you stop, getting started again is a PITA. Standing up and stomping on the pedals is out. On the
    flats, again just try and keep the traction going. Don't make sharp movements and be ready to watch
    your front wash out at any second. On the downs, try and keep the flow. Avoid sharp braking or sharp
    turns and just let the front go where it wants. Give yourself plenty of braking time and try and
    watch out for covered objects. Don't be afraid to get off and trudge the tough sections. Finally,
    don't get lost and catch hypothermia.

    http://www.j-harris.net/bike/laroche/index.htm http://home.t-online.de/home/jharris/willingen/

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  7. OsirisBoarder wrote:
    > hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
    > clothing?

    eye protection.. the UV (A&B) and IR will kill your retinas in no time.

  8. Santa

    Santa Guest

    > hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
    > clothing?

    a lot of bike drying, and if you ride salted roads to/fro the trails you'll also be doing a lot of
    bike washing which is not funny below 40F.

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    santa wrote:
    >> hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
    >> clothing?
    >
    > a lot of bike drying, and if you ride salted roads to/fro the trails you'll also be doing a lot of
    > bike washing which is not funny below
    > 40F.

    you just need to bring the bike inside and wash it in the shower like the rest of us do.

    Penny

  10. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
    > > clothing?
    >
    > a lot of bike drying, and if you ride salted roads to/fro the trails
    you'll
    > also be doing a lot of bike washing which is not funny below 40F.

    At what temperature does it become comical?

    And don't you ride a sleigh anyway? You *are* really Santa, aren't you?

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Get ready to fall, and pick your self up and ride on.

    Fire up MTB 03

  12. Santa

    Santa Guest

    > And don't you ride a sleigh anyway? You *are* really Santa, aren't you?

    ho ho ho