snow riding

Osirisboarder

Guest
hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
clothing? thanks, ethan

"OsirisBoarder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
> clothing? thanks, ethan

Keep your weight WAY back...when I ride in snow, I get horrid traction (go figure) and unless the
back of the saddle is under my legs, not my butt. Get the bike in a real light granny gear, and be
prepared to keep it there. The cadence should usually be kept very slow, but as steady as possible.
Be skilled at trackstanding, and leaning in/out of skids. Be ready to clean your bike.

Chris (has been riding in this http://www.pbase.com/image/13007144)

"Chris" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]...
> "OsirisBoarder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
> > clothing?

Depends on the snow. Some snow crust you can ride really fast.
http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTBruntUppsala/bilder/nastenhundslad1.jp g Lose powdery snow can
be very difficult and you might have more fun on skis.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

OsirisBoarder wrote:
> hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
> clothing? thanks, ethan

Realistically, you shouldn't even need different tyres...

Obvious pointers: Try and waterproof your feet (plastic bags). Uphill you'll need to work really
hard to keep traction. Keep your weight low, use a low gear and try and keep the momentum going. If
you stop, getting started again is a PITA. Standing up and stomping on the pedals is out. On the
flats, again just try and keep the traction going. Don't make sharp movements and be ready to watch
your front wash out at any second. On the downs, try and keep the flow. Avoid sharp braking or sharp
turns and just let the front go where it wants. Give yourself plenty of braking time and try and
watch out for covered objects. Don't be afraid to get off and trudge the tough sections. Finally,
don't get lost and catch hypothermia.

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/laroche/index.htm http://home.t-online.de/home/jharris/willingen/

OsirisBoarder wrote:
> hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
> clothing?

eye protection.. the UV (A&B) and IR will kill your retinas in no time.

> hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
> clothing?

a lot of bike drying, and if you ride salted roads to/fro the trails you'll also be doing a lot of
bike washing which is not funny below 40F.

santa wrote:
>> hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
>> clothing?
>
> a lot of bike drying, and if you ride salted roads to/fro the trails you'll also be doing a lot of
> bike washing which is not funny below
> 40F.

you just need to bring the bike inside and wash it in the shower like the rest of us do.

Penny

> > hey, is their anything different I should be doing if I ride in the snow other that tires, and
> > clothing?
>
> a lot of bike drying, and if you ride salted roads to/fro the trails
you'll
> also be doing a lot of bike washing which is not funny below 40F.

At what temperature does it become comical?

And don't you ride a sleigh anyway? You *are* really Santa, aren't you?

Get ready to fall, and pick your self up and ride on.

Fire up MTB 03

> And don't you ride a sleigh anyway? You *are* really Santa, aren't you?

ho ho ho