Snow Tires: IRCs or Nokian

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Salfron, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Salfron

    Salfron Guest

    Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
    here are my choices:

    IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR

    Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.

    What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

    Tags:

  2. Chuck7

    Chuck7 Guest

    salfron wrote:
    > Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
    > here are my choices:
    >
    > IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
    >
    > Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
    >
    > What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

    The latest Dirt Rag magazine, issue #97, had a write up about the Nokians- the dude wrote that in
    his test last winter he had to ride alone since the trails were too icy for his non- Nokian equipped
    buds to ride along.

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "salfron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
    > here are my choices:
    >
    > IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
    >
    > Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
    >
    > What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

    This is my first season with the Nokian 296. I rode all of last winter with a new pair of Panaracer
    Fire XC pros. I'm in the Boston area and I haven't done much riding on the Nok's other than the 30
    miles of asphalt break-in, one wet leave ride that was impressive and one 5" powder snow ride where
    I really didn't need them. The carbide studs are still sharp after the break-in riding. A few have
    been pulled out. The distributor tells me there are no stud replacement kits. Do the IRC's have
    carbide or steel studs?
    . All off the postings I've seen here have been for Nok's. No one's complained. Buy one of each
    and let us know which is best ;-) btw, If you are short on $$ you would only need a front
    tire and Innova's another brand I've seen advertised for $39.95 with replaceable steel studs.

    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  4. Kayak777

    Kayak777 Guest

    Get the Nokians. I've had both and there is no comparison in terms of performance on ice. Paul

    salfron wrote:

    > Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
    > here are my choices:
    >
    > IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
    >
    > Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
    >
    > What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

  5. Bigfootdenny

    Bigfootdenny Guest

    "salfron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
    > here are my choices:
    >
    > IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
    >
    > Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
    >
    > What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

    FWIW, I just made the decision to purchase a set of Nokian Extreme 296... after consulting a couple
    dealers I decided they were preferable to the newer Hakka WXC300 tires (which supposedly have major
    quality problems). I got what I consider to be an excellent price on the Extreme 296 through
    www.aebikes.com in Kalamazoo Michigan--- $58/ea. Call and ask for "Doug" if you're interested. He
    was very helpful. I also ended up purchasing a couple Marwi light sets from them too... Extremely
    competitive pricing, and excellent knowledge... -BigfootDenny

  6. I roll on Nokian Extreme's and am delighted in them. the only tire I've ever ridden that is remotely
    close (and dare I say _better_ ) are those made by my riding bud Todd. (the guy on the Surly SS:
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/stumpfield.htm ) the are indescribeably incredible.. If you
    are near Manchester/Concord, NH find Goodale's Bike shop in Hooksett (
    http://goodalesbikeshop.com/site/map.cfm?ID=2 ). He has a pair hanging above the counter. They are
    insane. They don't do internet sales though.

  7. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    BigfootDenny wrote in message ...
    >"salfron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online
    >> and here are my choices:
    >>
    >> IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
    >>
    >> Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
    >>
    >> What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????
    >>
    >FWIW, I just made the decision to purchase a set of Nokian Extreme 296... after consulting a couple
    >dealers I decided they were preferable to the newer Hakka WXC300 tires (which supposedly have major
    >quality problems).

    I wonder if those problems are related to the way the WXC300 uses aluminum in the studs.

    >I got what I consider to be an excellent price on the Extreme 296 through www.aebikes.com in
    >Kalamazoo Michigan--- $58/ea. Call and ask for "Doug" if you're interested. He was very
    helpful.
    >I also ended up purchasing a couple Marwi light sets from them too... Extremely competitive
    >pricing, and excellent knowledge...

    That's is a good price. That what I paid for my Nokian Mount and Ground tires a few years ago. I
    picked up a set of barely-used Extremes last February at the MMBA swap meet (held before their
    annual meeting) for $45 each. The guy selling them wanted $55 each but I had only $90 cash and there
    wasn't an ATM for miles around.

    What Marwi lights did you get? They look to be a pretty good lights for the money.

  8. Bigfootdenny

    Bigfootdenny Guest

    > I roll on Nokian Extreme's and am delighted in them. the only tire I've ever ridden that is
    > remotely close (and dare I say _better_ ) are those made by my riding bud Todd. (the guy on the
    > Surly SS: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/stumpfield.htm ) the are indescribeably
    > incredible.. If you are near Manchester/Concord, NH find Goodale's Bike shop in Hooksett (
    > http://goodalesbikeshop.com/site/map.cfm?ID=2 ). He has a pair hanging above the counter. They are
    > insane. They don't do internet sales though.

    John--Do you have any experience with the newer Hakka WXC300's ? I'm getting the itch to try some on
    the Surly... maybe even throw a WCX300 on the front, and an Extreme on the rear?.... whaddya
    think?.. -BigfootDenny

  9. Bigfootdenny

    Bigfootdenny Guest

    "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > BigfootDenny wrote in message ...
    > >FWIW, I just made the decision to purchase a set of Nokian Extreme 296... after consulting a
    > >couple dealers I decided they were preferable to the newer Hakka WXC300 tires (which supposedly
    > >have major quality problems).
    >
    > I wonder if those problems are related to the way the WXC300 uses aluminum in the studs.

    The gentleman I spoke to (Peter White @ Peter White Cycles) was adamently against the WXC300-- he
    apparently sold a bunch last year, and claims that they were all problems -- customers returned a
    bunch with problems of the studs coming out right away... He now refuses to sell the WXC300 -- even
    though he sells the rest of the Nokian winter line. That was enough of a warning for me to keep away
    from them, even though the lighter weight sounded attractive...

    > >I got what I consider to be an excellent price on the Extreme 296 through www.aebikes.com in
    > >Kalamazoo Michigan--- $58/ea. Call and ask for "Doug" if you're interested. He was very
    > helpful.
    > >I also ended up purchasing a couple Marwi light sets from them too... Extremely competitive
    > >pricing, and excellent knowledge...
    <snip> What Marwi lights did you get? They look to be a pretty good lights for the
    > money.

    www.marwiusa.com I picked up the Marwi Nightpro Elite 12-watt helmet mount light with 4ah NiMh
    battery (battery size= deck of cards) 2hr rating --$89. I also purchased the Nightpro Pro Elite
    dual-lite bar mount setup with 15+20 watt lamps and 8ah waterbottle mount battery -- 3.2hrs (15w),
    2.4hrs (20w),
    1.4hrs(35w) -- $147. Batteries are interchangeable between the two sets. I wanted compatibility and
    flexibility in burntimes for various conditions, and this setup looked like it suited my needs
    best, especially for colder weather riding... -BigfootDenny

  10. BigfootDenny wrote:
    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I roll on Nokian Extreme's and am delighted in them. the only tire I've ever ridden that is
    >>remotely close (and dare I say _better_ ) are those made by my riding bud Todd. (the guy on the
    >>Surly SS: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/stumpfield.htm ) the are indescribeably
    >>incredible.. If you are near Manchester/Concord, NH find Goodale's Bike shop in Hooksett (
    >>http://goodalesbikeshop.com/site/map.cfm?ID=2 ). He has a pair hanging above the counter. They are
    >>insane. They don't do internet sales though.
    >>

    > John--Do you have any experience with the newer Hakka WXC300's ?

    Nope. Ive looked at them but not ridden them. They seems as good as the Extremes, but lighter.

  11. BigfootDenny wrote:
    > The gentleman I spoke to (Peter White @ Peter White Cycles)

    I know Peter, in fact he is where I bought my Extremes from "locally" before he moved from MA to NH.
    I'm delighted that he's much closer to my house, now.

    > was adamently against the WXC300--

    If Peter sa'ys they are NFG, you can trust his word.