Snow Tires: IRCs or Nokian

Salfron

Guest
Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
here are my choices:

IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR

Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.

What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

salfron wrote:
> Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
> here are my choices:
>
> IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
>
> Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
>
> What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

The latest Dirt Rag magazine, issue #97, had a write up about the Nokians- the dude wrote that in
his test last winter he had to ride alone since the trails were too icy for his non- Nokian equipped
buds to ride along.

"salfron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
> here are my choices:
>
> IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
>
> Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
>
> What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

This is my first season with the Nokian 296. I rode all of last winter with a new pair of Panaracer
Fire XC pros. I'm in the Boston area and I haven't done much riding on the Nok's other than the 30
miles of asphalt break-in, one wet leave ride that was impressive and one 5" powder snow ride where
I really didn't need them. The carbide studs are still sharp after the break-in riding. A few have
been pulled out. The distributor tells me there are no stud replacement kits. Do the IRC's have
carbide or steel studs?
. All off the postings I've seen here have been for Nok's. No one's complained. Buy one of each
and let us know which is best ;-) btw, If you are short on $$ you would only need a front
tire and Innova's another brand I've seen advertised for $39.95 with replaceable steel studs.

DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Get the Nokians. I've had both and there is no comparison in terms of performance on ice. Paul

salfron wrote:

> Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
> here are my choices:
>
> IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
>
> Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
>
> What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

"salfron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online and
> here are my choices:
>
> IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
>
> Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
>
> What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????

FWIW, I just made the decision to purchase a set of Nokian Extreme 296... after consulting a couple
dealers I decided they were preferable to the newer Hakka WXC300 tires (which supposedly have major
quality problems). I got what I consider to be an excellent price on the Extreme 296 through
www.aebikes.com in Kalamazoo Michigan--- $58/ea. Call and ask for "Doug" if you're interested. He
was very helpful. I also ended up purchasing a couple Marwi light sets from them too... Extremely
competitive pricing, and excellent knowledge... -BigfootDenny

I roll on Nokian Extreme's and am delighted in them. the only tire I've ever ridden that is remotely
close (and dare I say _better_ ) are those made by my riding bud Todd. (the guy on the Surly SS:
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/stumpfield.htm ) the are indescribeably incredible.. If you
are near Manchester/Concord, NH find Goodale's Bike shop in Hooksett (
http://goodalesbikeshop.com/site/map.cfm?ID=2 ). He has a pair hanging above the counter. They are
insane. They don't do internet sales though.

BigfootDenny wrote in message ...
>"salfron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Help. I live in New England and I'm getting cabin fever. I need snow tires. I've looked online
>> and here are my choices:
>>
>> IRC Blizzards, 2.1", 112 studs, 890 grams, $41.99 each OR
>>
>> Nokian Extreme 296, 2.1", 296 studs, 994 grams, $69.99 each.
>>
>> What's the best choice, given quality, weight, performance & price????
>>
>FWIW, I just made the decision to purchase a set of Nokian Extreme 296... after consulting a couple
>dealers I decided they were preferable to the newer Hakka WXC300 tires (which supposedly have major
>quality problems).

I wonder if those problems are related to the way the WXC300 uses aluminum in the studs.

>I got what I consider to be an excellent price on the Extreme 296 through www.aebikes.com in
>Kalamazoo Michigan--- $58/ea. Call and ask for "Doug" if you're interested. He was very
helpful.
>I also ended up purchasing a couple Marwi light sets from them too... Extremely competitive
>pricing, and excellent knowledge...

That's is a good price. That what I paid for my Nokian Mount and Ground tires a few years ago. I
picked up a set of barely-used Extremes last February at the MMBA swap meet (held before their
annual meeting) for $45 each. The guy selling them wanted $55 each but I had only $90 cash and there
wasn't an ATM for miles around.

What Marwi lights did you get? They look to be a pretty good lights for the money.

> I roll on Nokian Extreme's and am delighted in them. the only tire I've ever ridden that is
> remotely close (and dare I say _better_ ) are those made by my riding bud Todd. (the guy on the
> Surly SS: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/stumpfield.htm ) the are indescribeably
> incredible.. If you are near Manchester/Concord, NH find Goodale's Bike shop in Hooksett (
> http://goodalesbikeshop.com/site/map.cfm?ID=2 ). He has a pair hanging above the counter. They are
> insane. They don't do internet sales though.

John--Do you have any experience with the newer Hakka WXC300's ? I'm getting the itch to try some on
the Surly... maybe even throw a WCX300 on the front, and an Extreme on the rear?.... whaddya
think?.. -BigfootDenny

"KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> BigfootDenny wrote in message ...
> >FWIW, I just made the decision to purchase a set of Nokian Extreme 296... after consulting a
> >couple dealers I decided they were preferable to the newer Hakka WXC300 tires (which supposedly
> >have major quality problems).
>
> I wonder if those problems are related to the way the WXC300 uses aluminum in the studs.

The gentleman I spoke to (Peter White @ Peter White Cycles) was adamently against the WXC300-- he
apparently sold a bunch last year, and claims that they were all problems -- customers returned a
bunch with problems of the studs coming out right away... He now refuses to sell the WXC300 -- even
though he sells the rest of the Nokian winter line. That was enough of a warning for me to keep away
from them, even though the lighter weight sounded attractive...

> >I got what I consider to be an excellent price on the Extreme 296 through www.aebikes.com in
> >Kalamazoo Michigan--- $58/ea. Call and ask for "Doug" if you're interested. He was very
> helpful.
> >I also ended up purchasing a couple Marwi light sets from them too... Extremely competitive
> >pricing, and excellent knowledge...
<snip> What Marwi lights did you get? They look to be a pretty good lights for the
> money.

www.marwiusa.com I picked up the Marwi Nightpro Elite 12-watt helmet mount light with 4ah NiMh
battery (battery size= deck of cards) 2hr rating --$89. I also purchased the Nightpro Pro Elite
dual-lite bar mount setup with 15+20 watt lamps and 8ah waterbottle mount battery -- 3.2hrs (15w),
2.4hrs (20w),
1.4hrs(35w) -- $147. Batteries are interchangeable between the two sets. I wanted compatibility and
flexibility in burntimes for various conditions, and this setup looked like it suited my needs
best, especially for colder weather riding... -BigfootDenny

BigfootDenny wrote:
> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I roll on Nokian Extreme's and am delighted in them. the only tire I've ever ridden that is
>>remotely close (and dare I say _better_ ) are those made by my riding bud Todd. (the guy on the
>>Surly SS: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/stumpfield.htm ) the are indescribeably
>>incredible.. If you are near Manchester/Concord, NH find Goodale's Bike shop in Hooksett (
>>http://goodalesbikeshop.com/site/map.cfm?ID=2 ). He has a pair hanging above the counter. They are
>>insane. They don't do internet sales though.
>>

> John--Do you have any experience with the newer Hakka WXC300's ?

Nope. Ive looked at them but not ridden them. They seems as good as the Extremes, but lighter.

BigfootDenny wrote:
> The gentleman I spoke to (Peter White @ Peter White Cycles)

I know Peter, in fact he is where I bought my Extremes from "locally" before he moved from MA to NH.
I'm delighted that he's much closer to my house, now.

> was adamently against the WXC300--

If Peter sa'ys they are NFG, you can trust his word.