Snow Tires Nokian

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Joseph Jozwik, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
    packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they
    did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break in
    period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that would be? Joe

    Tags:

  2. Joseph Jozwik wrote:

    > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
    > packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards
    > they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
    > in period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that would be? Joe

    I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in shape
    and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while. Anyone?

    /tuben

  3. "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
    > packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards
    > they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
    in
    > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know
    why
    > that would be? Joe

    The idea is to properly seat the studs so they dont fall out.

  4. Joseph Jozwik wrote:
    > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
    > packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards
    > they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
    > in period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that would be?

    To wear the thin coating of zink off the tip to expose the carbide. and (supposedly) to help seat
    the studs in the sockets

  5. Johnny Tam

    Johnny Tam Guest

    Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. Göran Thyberg wrote:
    > Joseph Jozwik wrote:
    >
    >>Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
    >>packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards
    >>they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
    >>in period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that would be? Joe
    >

    > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in shape
    > and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while.

    Sounds good in theory, but, nope... wrong answer

  7. > > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on
    > > the packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC
    > > blizzards they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it
    > > said break in period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that
    > > would be? Joe
    >
    > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in shape
    > and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while. Anyone?
    >
    > /tuben

    I belive it's to seat the studs int he rubber before being subjected to trail abuse.
    --
    _________________________

  8. what reason is that? I didnt know that

    "Johnny Tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
    >

    > "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Joseph Jozwik wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on
    > > > the packed snow and ice havent tried on the
    > loose
    > > > snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they did not work
    > nearly
    > > > as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said
    break
    > in
    > > > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone
    know
    > why
    > > > that would be? Joe
    > >
    > > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in
    > > shape and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while.
    > > Anyone?
    > >
    > > /tuben

  9. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    Johnny Tam wrote in message ...
    >Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.

    You break in car tires by riding 30 miles on paved roads. Isn't that a hassle?

  10. Johnny Tam

    Johnny Tam Guest

    Break in Tires and Brakes

    Did you realize that you must break in new tires and brake pads? Since most worn brake pads are
    found when changing tires, it is a good idea to incorporate both break-ins at once. When you get new
    tires there is a slight coat of slippery stuff on them. This needs to be worn off before you try to
    ride hard. Brake pads need to be worn in gradually, using soft pressure for the first few miles.
    Allow them to cool and then increase the pressure. Plan a long leisurely ride to slowly wear in the
    tires and break in the brake pads. Not only does this make them work better, it gives you an excuse
    to ride all day by yourself!

    "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > what reason is that? I didnt know that
    >
    > "Johnny Tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
    > >

    > > "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > loose
    > > nearly
    > break
    > > in
    > know
    > > why
    > > >
    > > > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in
    > > > shape and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while.
    > > > Anyone?
    > > >
    > > > /tuben

  11. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Johnny Tam wrote in message ...
    > >Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
    > >

    > You break in car tires by riding 30 miles on paved roads. Isn't that a hassle?

    30 miles? Try 300. 30 miles barely heat cycles the tires once.

    Spider

  12. I see thank you master grasshopper now I will go into the wild :) "Johnny Tam"
    > Break in Tires and Brakes
    >
    > Did you realize that you must break in new tires and brake pads? Since
    most
    > worn brake pads are found when changing tires, it is a good idea to incorporate both break-ins at
    > once. When you get new tires there is a
    slight
    > coat of slippery stuff on them. This needs to be worn off before you try
    > ride hard. Brake pads need to be worn in gradually, using soft pressure
    for
    > the first few miles. Allow them to cool and then increase the pressure.
    Plan
    > a long leisurely ride to slowly wear in the tires and break in the brake pads. Not only does this
    > make them work better, it gives you an excuse to ride all day by yourself!
    >
    > "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > what reason is that? I didnt know that
    > >
    > > "Johnny Tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
    > > >

    > > > "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > get
    > > > loose
    > > > nearly
    > > break
    > > > in
    > > know
    > > > why

  13. Leo

    Leo Guest

    "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote news:[email protected]...
    > Joseph Jozwik wrote:
    > >
    > > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on
    > > the packed snow and ice havent tried on the
    loose
    > > snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they did not work
    nearly
    > > as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
    in
    > > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know
    why
    > > that would be? Joe
    >
    > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in shape
    > and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while. Anyone?
    >
    > /tuben

    Nope, the main reason is to get the studs to "bed in" and that will reduce the chance of loosing the
    studs when riding off-road and on ice/snow. The studs are barely not affected by riding on pavement
    and they have pretty sharp(but flat, on the Extreme296) edges from the beginning. For the first 60
    miles you should not brake hard or accelerate hard, after that they will work great!

    /Leo

  14. Thanks for the post. Got it ! joe