Snow Tires Nokian

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph Jozwik

Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they
did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break in
period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that would be? Joe

Joseph Jozwik wrote:
>
> Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
> packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards
> they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
> in period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that would be? Joe

I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in shape
and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while. Anyone?

/tuben

"Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
> packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards
> they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
in
> period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know
why
> that would be? Joe
>
The idea is to properly seat the studs so they dont fall out.

Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> in period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that would be?

To wear the thin coating of zink off the tip to expose the carbide. and (supposedly) to help seat
the studs in the sockets

Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.

"Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> >
> > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on
> > the packed snow and ice havent tried on the
loose
> > snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they did not work
nearly
> > as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
in
> > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know
why
> > that would be? Joe
>
> I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in shape
> and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while. Anyone?
>
> /tuben

Göran Thyberg wrote:
> Joseph Jozwik wrote:
>
>>Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on the
>>packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards
>>they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
>>in period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that would be? Joe
>
>
> I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in shape
> and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while.

Sounds good in theory, but, nope... wrong answer

> > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on
> > the packed snow and ice havent tried on the loose snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC
> > blizzards they did not work nearly as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it
> > said break in period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know why that
> > would be? Joe
>
> and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while. Anyone?
>
> /tuben
>

I belive it's to seat the studs int he rubber before being subjected to trail abuse.
--

what reason is that? I didnt know that

"Johnny Tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
>
>
> "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> > >
> > > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on
> > > the packed snow and ice havent tried on the
> loose
> > > snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they did not work
> nearly
> > > as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said
break
> in
> > > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone
know
> why
> > > that would be? Joe
> >
> > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in
> > shape and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while.
> > Anyone?
> >
> > /tuben

Johnny Tam wrote in message ...
>Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
>
>

You break in car tires by riding 30 miles on paved roads. Isn't that a hassle?

Break in Tires and Brakes

Did you realize that you must break in new tires and brake pads? Since most worn brake pads are
found when changing tires, it is a good idea to incorporate both break-ins at once. When you get new
tires there is a slight coat of slippery stuff on them. This needs to be worn off before you try to
ride hard. Brake pads need to be worn in gradually, using soft pressure for the first few miles.
Allow them to cool and then increase the pressure. Plan a long leisurely ride to slowly wear in the
tires and break in the brake pads. Not only does this make them work better, it gives you an excuse
to ride all day by yourself!

"Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> what reason is that? I didnt know that
>
> "Johnny Tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
> >
> >
> > "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They
get
> > > > really good traction on the packed snow and ice havent tried on the
> > loose
> > > > snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they did not work
> > nearly
> > > > as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said
> break
> > in
> > > > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone
> know
> > why
> > > > that would be? Joe
> > >
> > > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in
> > > shape and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while.
> > > Anyone?
> > >
> > > /tuben
> >
>

"KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Johnny Tam wrote in message ...
> >Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
> >
>
> You break in car tires by riding 30 miles on paved roads. Isn't that a hassle?

30 miles? Try 300. 30 miles barely heat cycles the tires once.

Spider

I see thank you master grasshopper now I will go into the wild :) "Johnny Tam"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Break in Tires and Brakes
>
> Did you realize that you must break in new tires and brake pads? Since
most
> worn brake pads are found when changing tires, it is a good idea to incorporate both break-ins at
> once. When you get new tires there is a
slight
> coat of slippery stuff on them. This needs to be worn off before you try
to
> ride hard. Brake pads need to be worn in gradually, using soft pressure
for
> the first few miles. Allow them to cool and then increase the pressure.
Plan
> a long leisurely ride to slowly wear in the tires and break in the brake pads. Not only does this
> make them work better, it gives you an excuse to ride all day by yourself!
>
> "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > what reason is that? I didnt know that
> >
> > "Johnny Tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Same reason as why you break-in your car tires when new.
> > >
> > >
> > > "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They
> get
> > > > > really good traction on the packed snow and ice havent tried on
the
> > > loose
> > > > > snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they did not
work
> > > nearly
> > > > > as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said
> > break
> > > in
> > > > > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone
> > know
> > > why
> > > > > that would be? Joe
> > > >
> > > > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in
> > > > shape and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while.
> > > > Anyone?
> > > >
> > > > /tuben
> > >
> > >
> >
>

"Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote news:[email protected]...
> Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> >
> > the packed snow and ice havent tried on the
loose
> > snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they did not work
nearly
> > as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said break
in
> > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone know
why
> > that would be? Joe
>
>
> /tuben

Nope, the main reason is to get the studs to "bed in" and that will reduce the chance of loosing the
studs when riding off-road and on ice/snow. The studs are barely not affected by riding on pavement
and they have pretty sharp(but flat, on the Extreme296) edges from the beginning. For the first 60
miles you should not brake hard or accelerate hard, after that they will work great!

/Leo

Thanks for the post. Got it ! joe

"Leo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote news:[email protected]...
> > Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> > >
> > > Just got a set of Nokian snow tires 296 paid $68.00 a peice.. They get really good traction on
> > > the packed snow and ice havent tried on the
> loose
> > > snow as much yet.. I also tried the IRC blizzards they did not work
> nearly
> > > as good. The only thing i thought was weird on the nokians it said
break
> in
> > > period for 30 miles on pavement roads?? for best traction.. Anyone
know
> why
> > > that would be? Joe
> >
> > I haven't heard about that instruction but my guess is that the studs are somewhat round in
> > shape and gets a little more edge to them when beeing exposed to naked pavement for a while.
> > Anyone?
> >
> > /tuben
>
> Nope, the main reason is to get the studs to "bed in" and that will reduce the chance of loosing
> the studs when riding off-road and on ice/snow. The studs are barely not affected by riding on
> pavement and they have pretty sharp(but flat, on the Extreme296) edges from the beginning. For the
> first 60 miles you should not brake hard or accelerate hard, after that they
will
> work great!
>
> /Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.