Snow tires

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Rk, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Rk

    Rk Guest

    Any recommendations for good snow tires. I can't justify studded tires. I have had pretty good luck
    with wildgrippers but am always open to new ideas. Thanks

    RK

    Tags:

  2. "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any recommendations for good snow tires. I can't justify studded tires.
    > have had pretty good luck with wildgrippers but am always open to new
    ideas.
    > Thanks
    >
    > RK

    Continental Survival Front/Rear Tire "Designed for superior traction in the most demanding
    conditions. The Survival Pro features the "Endless Edge" tread design in an aggressive open pattern
    that bites through every surface, with the exception of extreme hard pack or pavement." Pro Tection
    adds just what it says! "Designed for superior traction in the most demanding conditions. The
    Survival Pro features the "Endless Edge" tread design in an aggressive open pattern that bites
    through every surface, with the exception of extreme hard pack or pavement." Sizes: 26 x 2.1
    560/570g, 2.3 605/625g" in Pro BW, and in PROTection. Kevlar Bead.

    http://www.cambriabike.com/tires/knobby.htm

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  3. Mtbscottie

    Mtbscottie Guest

    >Subject: Snow tires From: "RK" [email protected] Date: 9/29/2003 7:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    >
    >Any recommendations for good snow tires. I can't justify studded tires. I have had pretty good luck
    >with wildgrippers but am always open to new ideas. Thanks
    >
    >RK

    I used WTB Velociraptors last year and they worked really well: front and rear specific design
    tires. I think most people will agree there is no need for studded tires unless you are riding ice
    primarily.

  4. Rick B

    Rick B Guest

    Back when I used to live in Spokane and we had a few heavy years of snow I made my own snow tires.
    You have to accept that they are going to be heavy but they will give you the ability to ride in any
    condition (and I did) I started with 2 used but good condition knobby tires. I then went to a
    bolt/screw specialty shop and picked out sheet metal screws (the kind with 6 sides a flat head slot
    and had a small rim around the edge) that were just short of coming through when screwed into a
    knobby (if I screwed them too tight I could get them to come through the in side. If I remember
    right I put them into the tires in rows all the way across the knobs skipping every one or two then
    putting in another row. When I put them in I coated each one with a high quality translate glue (get
    at hobby shop). When I mounted these I cut another old tube down the inside center and used them as
    thick tire liners.

    I rode with these tires for two years with no problems other than weight I was able to go almost
    anywhere and on shear ice I think I had better traction than my regular bike had on asphalt.

    When I built these they were a fun project and I really couldn't justify the expense of true studded
    tires. I used tossed out tires from a local shop the screws were 6 or 8 bucks or so and the glue was
    a few bucks. I had the extra old tubes I used just lying around. Let me know if you have any other
    questions and I'll try to help you. Rick BE

    "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any recommendations for good snow tires. I can't justify studded tires.
    > have had pretty good luck with wildgrippers but am always open to new
    ideas.
    > Thanks
    >
    > RK

  5. Rick B

    Rick B Guest

    The glue was supposed to be cyanoacrylate but spell checker got to it and I didn't catch it.

    "Rick B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Back when I used to live in Spokane and we had a few heavy years of snow I made my own snow tires.
    > You have to accept that they are going to be
    heavy
    > but they will give you the ability to ride in any condition (and I did) I started with 2 used but
    > good condition knobby tires. I then went to a bolt/screw specialty shop and picked out sheet metal
    > screws (the kind
    with
    > 6 sides a flat head slot and had a small rim around the edge) that were just short of coming
    > through when screwed into a knobby (if I screwed them too tight I could get them to come through
    > the in side. If I remember
    right
    > I put them into the tires in rows all the way across the knobs skipping every one or two then
    > putting in another row. When I put them in I coated each one with a high quality translate glue
    > (get at hobby shop). When I mounted these I cut another old tube down the inside center and
    > used them
    as
    > thick tire liners.
    >
    > I rode with these tires for two years with no problems other than weight I was able to go almost
    > anywhere and on shear ice I think I had better traction than my regular bike had on asphalt.
    >
    > When I built these they were a fun project and I really couldn't justify
    the
    > expense of true studded tires. I used tossed out tires from a local shop the screws were 6 or 8
    > bucks or so and the glue was a few bucks. I had
    the
    > extra old tubes I used just lying around. Let me know if you have any
    other
    > questions and I'll try to help you. Rick BE
    >

    > "RK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Any recommendations for good snow tires. I can't justify studded tires.
    > > have had pretty good luck with wildgrippers but am always open to new
    > ideas.
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > RK

  6. [email protected] (MTBScottie) wrote

    > I used WTB Velociraptors last year and they worked really well:

    I have also had very good experiences with the Velociraptors in snow. Nothing but studs will grip on
    ice, but big knobbies like the V-raptor work great in slop.

    CC

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest