Snow!

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Good grief! It's actually snowing in Swansea! First time for years!

It has snowed very lightly in Liverpool for the last two days, but only for 20 minutes at a time and
nothing stuck. I was going to reply to this post in work, but I couldn't see the images properly
because 1, the monitor and graphics card are ****, and 2, the sun was shining through the blinds and
onto my screen so it was making it difficult to see.

| http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/snow/snow1.jpg

This looks like you've created the snow in Photoshop, similar to that Chatsworth House Christmas
card I emailed to you!

| http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/snow/snow2.jpg

Nice pattern, it should probably go in stock backgrounds folder.

| And for those that prefer the dreamy effect...
| http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/snow/snow3.jpg

Very creative! This sort of effect has potential, with the right composition and backdrop. It's
certainly different anyway.

| Paul

Ste

Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote
>stemc © wrote:
>
>>> What for? They were snaps. ;-)
>>
>> Why snaps, because you thought they were ****? ;-)
>
>No, because I put the camera on program mode, pointed it and pressed the shutter release. Virtually
>no creative thought involved, other than composition, which was hardly inspired, I just pointed it
>at the car and at the sky.
>
>If I'd wanted to take photographs I would have set up my tripod, taken test shots, set shutter
>speed and aperture manually etc.
>
>Paul

That might be fine for some exhilarating snow scenes, but not much use when photographing a
Dipper. ;-)
--
Gordon

Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote

>>> Around 900g all in, zoom equivalent to 29-88mm.
>>
>> Ta.
>
>And of course, being an SLR, you can buy extra lenses for it.
>
>If you really are serious you can pick up a 70-300mm zoom quite moderately priced (I think Sigma do
>a decent one for less than £200), which would be equivalent to 112-480mm, a pretty cool focal
>length for shooting birds.

It would be fine for the birds which have been attracted to my garden since I started feeding them
meal worms and wax worms, but I wonder if I'd carry it very often on walks?

I just weighed the 2800z at 400g with 4 AA cells fitted.

>And you can use fast film speeds up to ISO 1600 for hand held shooting. Even at ISO 400 there's
>virtually zero noise.

I suppose as my walking is fairly modest these days (8 miles last Thursday), I could carry a 1kg
camera, but a large lens.........??
--
Gordon

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Good grief! It's actually snowing in Swansea! First time for years!
|
| http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/snow/snow1.jpg
|
| http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/snow/snow2.jpg
|
| And for those that prefer the dreamy effect...
| http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/snow/snow3.jpg
|
| Paul

It's started snowing in Liverpool now too (well, 9 miles north of Liverpool anyway). I just took a
few photos, but by standing in the doorway, they're similar to your snaps. If it sticks tomorrow,
I'll go out and start taking some proper snow photos, because I've got none up until now. Plus I've
got the day off tomorrow! :)

Ste

stemc © wrote:

>> And for those that prefer the dreamy effect...
>> http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/snow/snow3.jpg
>
> Very creative! This sort of effect has potential, with the right composition and backdrop. It's
> certainly different anyway.

It was simply taken hand held in program mode with the flash turned off. I'm surprise the tree is
almost sharp. I was going to go back and take some more on a tripod but I'd filled the card and by
the time I'd emptied it onto the computer the snow had stopped.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

stemc © wrote:

> It's started snowing in Liverpool now too (well, 9 miles north of Liverpool anyway). I just took a
> few photos, but by standing in the doorway, they're similar to your snaps.

Easy, innit?

> If it sticks tomorrow, I'll go out and start taking some proper snow photos, because I've got none
> up until now. Plus I've got the day off tomorrow! :)

Just remember not to overexpose them!

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| stemc © wrote:
|
| > It's started snowing in Liverpool now too (well, 9 miles north of Liverpool anyway). I just took
| > a few photos, but by standing in the doorway, they're similar to your snaps.
|
| Easy, innit?

Well, I just about manged, even though I'm an unserious snap-happy amateur! ;-)

| > If it sticks tomorrow, I'll go out and start taking some proper snow photos, because I've got
| > none up until now. Plus I've got the day off tomorrow! :)
|
| Just remember not to overexpose them!

As if I'd do a thing like that...!

| Paul

Ste

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| [email protected] said...
| > Bernard Hill wrote:
| >
| > > Well Paul I'm usually a fan of yours but the first two have to be the most boring pictures
| > > I've seen in a long time :-(
| >
| > How about this one then?
| >
| > http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/snow/car.jpg
|
| I wish mine had a scratch like that on the side...

Their neighbour probably done it when he was parking his car - one hand on the wheel, other hand
holding a camera and reviewing images! :)

| Fran

Ste

ste mc © wrote:

>> I don't get the Patrick Mower reference.
>
> Patrick Moore presents the Sky at Night. Could this be the reference? :-s

I took the spelling literally...

>> By the way, would you believe that the auto-focus focused on the fast falling snow flakes? With a
>> rasping b-b-b-b-beep as they fell?
>
> Good to hear it's working! Did you try any with manual focus? ;-)

What for? They were snaps. ;-)

Paul
--

Gordon wrote:

> I thought you had switched off the beep? :)

Not on this one. It's very quiet and doesn't beep often. Quite reassuring to hear the focus beep to
confirm that it's locked focus.

> OK - sounds good. I'll get one. What is it and how much, and does it take AA cells or have a fancy
> expensive special battery?

Canon 300D.

£800 with lens (price matched from internet).

Fancy expensive special battery which lasts way longer than that AA ****.

> How much does it weigh, and what is the hop-tickle zoom range?

Around 900g all in, zoom equivalent to 29-88mm.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| ste mc © wrote:
|
| > Well it can't be your car, can it? I thought you had a banger?
|
| No, it's not mine.

Okay.

| > But surely you wouldn't publish someone elses registration plate on the web would you, without
| > blurring it first? :)
|
| Why would that be a problem in this case?

Never said it would be a problem, but I wouldn't want my registration number on the web. Haven't you
see Police, Camera, Action or similar programmes, they often blur the registration numbers. Or have
you seen photos of people's cars in newspapers? Same here.

| Paul

Ste

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:09:44 -0000, Paul Saunders wrote:

>Fran wrote:
>
>> I wish mine had a scratch like that on the side...
>
>What scratch?
>
>...checks pic...
>
>Oh that, it's a reflection.

You get them on new cars. Mine only reflects when it is wet. :)

Numberplates: IIRC there is a batch used for drama produtions on TV. They are / were supplied by
DVLA and that explains why The Sweeny whizzed around in Swansea plates.

I do so hope that they did get their dinner.

Oh, and I blur if a car is parked in residential areas and could be linked to a house, out in the
big bad world, I dont bother.

I certainly blur mine.

Richard Webb

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| ste mc © wrote:
|
| >> I don't get the Patrick Mower reference.
| >
| > Patrick Moore presents the Sky at Night. Could this be the reference? :-s
|
| I took the spelling literally...

I wouldn't have said anything if I knew that Gordon had replied and told you about this at 11:06am.
But for some reason, my Pipex news account in work didn't pick up his posting.

| >> By the way, would you believe that the auto-focus focused on the fast falling snow flakes? With
| >> a rasping b-b-b-b-beep as they fell?
| >
| > Good to hear it's working! Did you try any with manual focus? ;-)
|
| What for? They were snaps. ;-)

Why snaps, because you thought they were ****? ;-)

| Paul

Ste

stemc © wrote:

> Never said it would be a problem, but I wouldn't want my registration number on the web.

But what would anyone want to do with that information?

> Haven't you see Police, Camera, Action or similar programmes, they often blur the registration
> numbers.

But they're usually criminals aren't they? So they want to protect their identity.

> Or have you seen photos of people's cars in newspapers? Same here.

But why?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Numberplates: IIRC there is a batch used for drama produtions on TV. They are / were supplied by
| DVLA and that explains why The Sweeny whizzed around in Swansea plates.
|
| I do so hope that they did get their dinner.
|
| Oh, and I blur if a car is parked in residential areas and could be linked to a house, out in the
| big bad world, I dont bother.
|
| I certainly blur mine.
|
| Richard Webb

On my website, I used to retouch all the number plates so nobody could see them. To be honest, I'm
not totally sure why I did this, other than because I was a sheep and following what other people
had done! :) www.sm9.co.uk/cars.htm

Ste